Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
greenybay

Sony Led Or Panasonic Plasma

Hi Experts,

I'm new here and needed some serious advice from you guys.

I'm looking for a 46' and not sure which of the following is a better buy so appreciate all experts' advice...both sets are selling almost same price.

Sony KDL-46EX700 (LED)

Panasonic Viera TH-P46V20S (Plasma)

My hall is bright and the TV will be placed very close to a big panel of windows. I read that plasma performance might lose out in bright environment but is this really a bothering issue?

Thanks again for all replies. :)

Edited by greenybay

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi Experts,

I'm looking for a 46' and not sure which of the following is a better buy so appreciate all experts' advice...both sets are selling almost same price.

Sony KDL-46EX700 (LED)

My hall is bright and the TV will be placed very close to a big panel of windows. I read that plasma performance might lose out in bright environment but is this really a bothering issue?

Have you consider Samsung for its LED TV?

Hi Experts,

Sony KDL-46EX700 (LED)

LED is already **** bright, so bright environment will not put a dent to the pix quality. On the contrary, watching dark scenes

LED may lose out to plasma as LED/LCD's black is not entirely black at all.

So best is to choose with eyes wide open.

cheers

Have you consider Samsung for its LED TV?

If I tell u the reason why I won't consider korean brand u would probably laugh out loud. Will only consider Japanese brand. Thanks.

Edited by greenybay

LED is already **** bright, so bright environment will not put a dent to the pix quality. On the contrary, watching dark scenes

LED may lose out to plasma as LED/LCD's black is not entirely black at all.

So best is to choose with eyes wide open.

cheers

I suppose since most of my programmes will likely be bright scenes so LED is a better then.

For a large 46" and at the same price, I wld choose LED, simply for the thinner panel and lower weight and sex appeal. Pic quality is not much diff for higher end TV. As for Sony vs Panny, they are both major brand and so 'the same'.

whatever brands u choose, please read the warranty coverage carefully...some give 3yrs warranty on all parts incl panel while some give 1+2...

most of the jap brands have components that is not from native japan..... so if $$$ is not an issue, can buy pure japan-made models....

Edited by neubie

I went to check it out the 40' inch Sony LED tv yesterday. I really like the matte screen as compared to those samsung LED tv. This means that the TV will be less glaring as those compared to Samsung LED TV (Glossy finish) when we are watching in a brighter room. Moreover, their speakers are below the screen which means that the sound will be better than Samsung if you are considering to mount it on the wall. Samung LED TV speakers are at the back of the TV, which means that sound can really reach us directly.

The best part is my OC prefer the sony one as she say that it is less glaring as compared to the samsung.

Not unless youre watching in HD format though.....

cheers

wat do u mean? if watching HD, the difference in reproduction of black between LED and Plasma is super obvious? So much so that picture quality on LED will noticeably be much lower?

on a side note,

i'm also currently looking at TVs and also have narrowed down to a 46" as i'm sitting very far from the TV (between 3.5m to 4m away). But the TVs i'm considering are not those that TS is looking at. Am looking at the Philips 46 inchers.

I knw abt the difference in reproduction of black colour between LED and Plasma, but i'm also aware of the vast difference in energy consumption between a LED and Plasma. i recently made some calculations and these are the numbers i got.

Based on 8hrs usage per day for 365days a year at electricity tariff of $0.245cts/kWH :

1) Plasma at a rated 365W (TS's selected Panasonic model)

Energy costs - $21.76 monthly

2) LCD only at a rated 197W (Sony's KDL-46EX500) -> (For comparison only)

Energy costs - $11.7445 monthly

3) LED at a rated 125W (TS's selected Sony model)

Energy costs - $7.4521 monthly

Now I knw that the savings in the monthly PUB bills will never balance out the difference in the cost of buying the TV. Big screen Plasmas can be bought at a much lower price than an equivalent LCD and the same LCD is also typically cheaper than an equivalent-sized LED.

for me, it's more of the initial capital cost and being at least a little bit environmentally-friendly. i oredi do enough damage to the environment when i drive...haha. i'm the type who'd rather pay more 1-time, than see my monthly PUB bills so high every month. 1-time heartache vs monthly heartache. lol...

wat do u mean? if watching HD, the difference in reproduction of black between LED and Plasma is super obvious? So much so that picture quality on LED will noticeably be much lower?

on a side note,

i'm also currently looking at TVs and also have narrowed down to a 46" as i'm sitting very far from the TV (between 3.5m to 4m away). But the TVs i'm considering are not those that TS is looking at. Am looking at the Philips 46 inchers.

I knw abt the difference in reproduction of black colour between LED and Plasma, but i'm also aware of the vast difference in energy consumption between a LED and Plasma. i recently made some calculations and these are the numbers i got.

Based on 8hrs usage per day for 365days a year at electricity tariff of $0.245cts/kWH :

1) Plasma at a rated 365W (TS's selected Panasonic model)

Energy costs - $21.76 monthly

2) LCD only at a rated 197W (Sony's KDL-46EX500) -> (For comparison only)

Energy costs - $11.7445 monthly

3) LED at a rated 125W (TS's selected Sony model)

Energy costs - $7.4521 monthly

Now I knw that the savings in the monthly PUB bills will never balance out the difference in the cost of buying the TV. Big screen Plasmas can be bought at a much lower price than an equivalent LCD and the same LCD is also typically cheaper than an equivalent-sized LED.

for me, it's more of the initial capital cost and being at least a little bit environmentally-friendly. i oredi do enough damage to the environment when i drive...haha. i'm the type who'd rather pay more 1-time, than see my monthly PUB bills so high every month. 1-time heartache vs monthly heartache. lol...

Let me recommend a few movies where the dark details between plasma & LED are so obvious.

1) Wolfman

2) Sherlock Holmes

3) Pitch black/ Riddick

4) Man on Fire

5) Predator 1 & 2

6) AVP 1 & 2

7) Master & Commander

8) Independence Day

Not many people have the luxury of watching TVs 8 hrs per day everyday unless one is not working. But then again, Im one of few who can

afford to pay more for obvious better pix quality. Most of the forummers at xtremeplace confess plasma TVs are much better.

But to each its own. If one thinks BOSE are superb, all the best then

cheers

Let me recommend a few movies where the dark details between plasma & LED are so obvious.

1) Wolfman

2) Sherlock Holmes

3) Pitch black/ Riddick

4) Man on Fire

5) Predator 1 & 2

6) AVP 1 & 2

7) Master & Commander

8) Independence Day

Not many people have the luxury of watching TVs 8 hrs per day everyday unless one is not working. But then again, Im one of few who can

afford to pay more for obvious better pix quality. Most of the forummers at xtremeplace confess plasma TVs are much better.

But to each its own. If one thinks BOSE are superb, all the best then

cheers

Bro vicenzo70,

Any 40" - 42" plasma TV to recommend?

Bro vicenzo70,

Any 40" - 42" plasma TV to recommend?

Hi

Pioneer or Panasonic are good choices. Ensure that the panels are made in Japan.

On a separate note, the movies recommended above for visual comparison are in Bluray format not DVD.

If someone comes & tell me that there's still no big diff, i can safely say theyre lying. We (some forummers at xtremeplace)

have done a vidshoot test comparing LCD, LED & plasma. Plasma still tops. We're talking about pix quality not of PUB savings.

If one want PUB savings, might as well go for CRTs.

Those who are using projectors are burning an even bigger hole in their pocket but in terms of cinematic effect, theyre probably

the best for visual experience.

cheers