Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Qingrong

How much to leave in CPF account?

Phantom, Any suggestions on how to start reading up or knowing what I should be investing in? What risk are there? Actually I prefer not to talk to those so called fund manager as most of the times, I feel like they are just sales people. I want to know more about all this financial stuff b4 I start to invest.

In any case, for my stand in HDB loan using CPF monies, I will be opting for a maximum of 30 years loan though I calculated that I could manage a 15-20 year loan quite comfortably. I prefer to have some balance money in my CPF account. Besides, I could do lump sum payments every few years to shrink the loan size and of cos the interest that will be incurred.

you can read up some articles on fundsupersmart.com.

fund managers are quite different from your door-to-door salesman, don't hestiate to speak to them. how else are you able to get the vibes on the ground (unless you have your hands on the ground all the time)? but do remember that what they can provide are opinions, you can always agree to disagree.

i also advocate taking on the longest loan available (preferably at preferantial rate) and going for sound investment. remember, you don't really need doubt digits return to be better off, even a conservative return of 5% p.a. means the opportunity cost of investing outweighs the cost of not investing.

there's only 2 ways to make money in investment:

1. buy low sell high

2. buy high sell higher

but there's also time when you have to prepare for some short term lost. but with a diversified portfolio (with periodic reviews/rebalance by sound professionals), you will do ok.

for cpf, there are limits on the amount you can use to buy shares and gold. no restrictions on managed funds. but when purchasing funds, do find out whether there are recurring charges (eg mortality charges for ilp) and cost of fund switches (if any). you do not punt on funds, they are designed for long term gains. if you are looking to punt, do it on shares. personally, i do not advocate punting at all.

in any case, changes in cpf ruling will kick in on 1 apr 08. it is going to be difficult to invest after that, esp if you have only just started working. ironically, the young are the ones who are in the best position to stomach short term losses and gain the most from long term investment.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Phantom, Any suggestions on how to start reading up or knowing what I should be investing in? What risk are there? Actually I prefer not to talk to those so called fund manager as most of the times, I feel like they are just sales people. I want to know more about all this financial stuff b4 I start to invest.

In any case, for my stand in HDB loan using CPF monies, I will be opting for a maximum of 30 years loan though I calculated that I could manage a 15-20 year loan quite comfortably. I prefer to have some balance money in my CPF account. Besides, I could do lump sum payments every few years to shrink the loan size and of cos the interest that will be incurred.

lol... buy me Kopi over weekend.. kekeke.

my emerging euros drop 10%:bangwall:!! :unsure:

LOL. Risk aversion. Everything is on the down since start of the year.

Except gold. But its diffferent for us and ppl like george soros and jim rogers.

those ppl trade derivatives off the market. they long/short the market.

never good to listen too much..

always base your investments on long term fundamentals.

emerging europe has good political stability cept for the turkish borders.

inflation is pretty much contained. huge oil reserves and commodities around the eastern european bloc.

lol... buy me Kopi over weekend.. kekeke.

LOL. Risk aversion. Everything is on the down since start of the year.

Except gold. But its diffferent for us and ppl like george soros and jim rogers.

those ppl trade derivatives off the market. they long/short the market.

never good to listen too much..

always base your investments on long term fundamentals.

emerging europe has good political stability cept for the turkish borders.

inflation is pretty much contained. huge oil reserves and commodities around the eastern european bloc.

actually if i have lots of cash - would love to buy USD around may/june...hehehe

actually if i have lots of cash - would love to buy USD around may/june...hehehe

lol not alot of ppl are bullish on dollar my friend. you've just found another kaki. lol..

lol not alot of ppl are bullish on dollar my friend. you've just found another kaki. lol..

hope to see hit low in apr/may. going USA for tour in june.

off-topic liao.

there is another rumour/news that i cant help laughing each time i hear it.

DUMBO : " china stocks/shares/unittrust can buy now but MUST sell when olympics is over! "

sounds familiar? :notti:

these dumbass have no idea how HUGE china's domestic market is. period

play your own game. dont care what people do or dont do.

they win or lose, also none of your biz. you win or lose, also none of their biz.

DUMBO : " china stocks/shares/unittrust can buy now but MUST sell when olympics is over! "

sounds familiar? :notti:

sounds familiar? :sport-smiley-004:

bro, of course la. u won't beat this. markets sure go down in world cup.. coz productivity down.. everyone on watching soccer.

eh bro.. find somewhere else to continue. off topic.. tio :notti: