Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oinkoink1999

Question On Kitchen Hood

Hi forummers,

I'm contemplating whether to install kitchen hood for my new flat because in my current flat, i have instaled one but seldom or never use it at all..can i check if any of you really turn on when you are cooking...is it really that effective or just for the beauty of it?

another technical question is after sucking the smoke into the chimney...where does it goes to in the end?

Any comments? I was thinking of replacing the hood with additional cabinets so I can have more storage.....

cheers,

oinkoink

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi forummers,

I'm contemplating whether to install kitchen hood for my new flat because in my current flat, i have instaled one but seldom or never use it at all..can i check if any of you really turn on when you are cooking...is it really that effective or just for the beauty of it?

another technical question is after sucking the smoke into the chimney...where does it goes to in the end?

Any comments? I was thinking of replacing the hood with additional cabinets so I can have more storage.....

cheers,

oinkoink

I have not used one previously

but will still get one for the new place to avoid having to dismantle the top cabinets in future should i change my mind

for HDB, only recycling models are allowed

so the fumes pass thru the filters and get circulated out again into the kitchen

for chimney hoods, you will see air vents on the chimney, that's where the air gets released

in terms of effectiveness, i have only heard of Fujioh one being effective

the downside is that designs are not pleasing to the eye

to test suction power:

for Fujioh, go to Hoe Kee at IMM

for Rinnai / Ellane / Turbo, go to CityGas gallery at Somerset

for Brandt / Bosch, go to Rina Electrical at Lido building

Edited by bobztoise

Hi forummers,

cheers,

oinkoink

hey, it all depends on your usage. You determine how much cooking will be done. If you enjoy cooking or got time to cook. It is better to get one. But if your kitchen will stay as good as new after 6mnths. then you do not need any hood. Or if you have 2 miserable hob, then i say it is a showroom meant for show and not usage. My take is ppl who cook will demand a decent kitchen, while ppl who dont, can cook instant noodle can liao ;)

hi all,

really appreciate all the helpful advice that you have given. My dad will do most of the cooking.. maybe 3days out of a week but his cooking is geared towards healthy lifestyle which don't require deep fried or heavy cooking....anyway, I will think about it...my understanding is that the hood maybe used initially but after a while ppl dont on it anymore...

thanks~!

oinkoink

hi all,

really appreciate all the helpful advice that you have given. My dad will do most of the cooking.. maybe 3days out of a week but his cooking is geared towards healthy lifestyle which don't require deep fried or heavy cooking....anyway, I will think about it...my understanding is that the hood maybe used initially but after a while ppl dont on it anymore...

thanks~!

oinkoink

actually if there is hardly any heavy cooking or deep frying, you may want to consider ceramic hobs..

according to the demos i have seen, they produce less fumes yet produce high heat within shorter times

with less fumes, not having a hood is probably fine

actually if there is hardly any heavy cooking or deep frying, you may want to consider ceramic hobs..

according to the demos i have seen, they produce less fumes yet produce high heat within shorter times

with less fumes, not having a hood is probably fine

hi bobtztoise,

whats a ceramic hob? Any website or pictures that I can see?

Thanks.

oinkoink

hi bobtztoise,

whats a ceramic hob? Any website or pictures that I can see?

Thanks.

oinkoink

I'm sure you have seen it before

ceramichob.png

Ceramic Hob

Works on almost any kind of pots

Red ring indicates heat is on

Temperature auto moderates to desired level

inductionhob.png

Induction Hob

Works only on "induction-able" pots

i.e. no aluminium, no claypots, no teflon pots

Pot does not heat up so you can touch the edges and top of the pot and still not scald yourself in most cases

Heat gets transmitted into contents of the pot so cooking time is reduced

any kitchen experts, correct me if i am wrong

Edited by bobztoise

hi all,

thanks~!

oinkoink

imo, if only doing light cooking, no real need for a hood. But then again, may be good to install one just in case your needs and preferences change. In any case, you can buy a slim line hood. This way, you will not compromise on the top cabinet space.

imo, if only doing light cooking, no real need for a hood. But then again, may be good to install one just in case your needs and preferences change. In any case, you can buy a slim line hood. This way, you will not compromise on the top cabinet space.

hi froggy & bobztoise,

thanks for the suggestion. I know what is a ceramic hob already. Went to Hoe Kee to see the fujioh demo. I will get that set.

So bobztoise...tomorrow collect keys already...must be excited...

cheers

oinkoink

hi froggy & bobztoise,

thanks for the suggestion. I know what is a ceramic hob already. Went to Hoe Kee to see the fujioh demo. I will get that set.

cheers

oinkoink

i use the hood everytime i cook... though the recycle type allowed in HDB may not be the most powerful, it's effective enough for me especially for the cooking smell... once the hood is on, smell will be gone pretty soon.

at first i wanna get the Fujioh hood too but after learning that you have to screw/unscrew to clean the interior, i dropped the idea and purchase another one instead, which uses carbon filter and it's less hassle to clean :lol:

hi froggy & bobztoise,

cheers

oinkoink

Yes... finally... less than 24 hours to keys...

by the way, marshmallow is right; try removing the cover for cleaning before you commit the purchase

it is indeed a little tricky

it would be good to check out a few more models

perhaps you can make a trip to CityGas gallery, more models to test but do not buy there as the prices are high and fixed

Yes... finally... less than 24 hours to keys...

by the way, marshmallow is right; try removing the cover for cleaning before you commit the purchase

it is indeed a little tricky

it would be good to check out a few more models

perhaps you can make a trip to CityGas gallery, more models to test but do not buy there as the prices are high and fixed

hi bobztoise,

how was yr unit...r u facing the civil service college? btw is there a website for ellane? i saw u got a pair of them..is it good?

oinkoink