Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
amyznl

Confused Over Which Id/contractor To Select

Dear all, we are new here. Had just sealed our 1st appointment for a 5 rm resale flat.

Had been going to a few IDs but when they asked for our budget, we were given "that" look. After paying off our savings for COV, definitely we have to budget right. With a new born in hand n a 3yrs old son, we need to be mindful of our expenditure.

One of the some of the IDs when heard of our budget, took out the package pricing list for 2 toilets n kitchen n added, only selected tiles..... The other tiles, deco tiles need to add extra will blow up ur budget.... And keep on looking at the door for ppl. When we were at the showroom, we were only told this is not your package n need to add extra....

So uncalled. We are new n inexperience but what to do.... We ve to learn on our own thru asking quotations....

As we get to know these few hidden cost, when probe further during quotation we were told, " or u want that... Need to add extra.... "

Hope anyone can forward me the contacts of reliable n tolerable IDs... My wife is hoping for an ID who can advice us on our budget criteria rather than showing us that look that we are not impt customer....

there are ways to minimize cost such as cutting down on carpentry etc etc. thats how i cut cost, together with help of ID

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

there are ways to minimize cost such as cutting down on carpentry etc etc. thats how i cut cost, together with help of ID

That's very true. I just confirmed my ID recently. I'm quite surprise how come i can't find he's co. name in this forum. I had talked to 2 ID firm and 2 contractor Just confirmed this contractor that do 3D work and btw he studied design or architecture in Australia (forgot exact course he took). He's one of those with a design sense and good colour combination.

I went to one of the ID firm and ask to view a flat they have done. A few friends whom are also renovating their houses soon accompanied me. We all are fairly disappointed.

1) No theme in the house (colours are all wrong)

2) Very poor carpentry work

3) They use partition board for TV without a support. (I bet the TV will droop within a year)

True that this firm gave me a good price, but i dun have any assurance at all.

This contractor that i took is very honest and sincere. I have recommended a few friends to him and they all had very good impression of him. The only thing is he's a one man show but do have project coordinator. Hence, he may reject the project if he has alot of other projects at the same timeframe. I went to view a house he done. Originally he wanted to show me somewhere else where he has done a grander affair, but i told him i like simplicity. The house is very well-done. Simple but yet the work is good. He likes to use mixture of tiles. The living room is layed in tiles with some small pcs of wood every here and there. What surprise me was a layer of gold frame around the wood. I dun think its easy to do and i also dun think many ID firms will come up with this. And yet it was layed very well. Carpentry work is also very good. He emphasize alot on details. MY mum, my frend and myself are all very satisfied with the work. But for that 3.5room flat, it cost a whopping $50k to do the job.

For my own house, i cut out all the carpentry except the essential ones which are the kitchen and wardrobe for the rooms.

I'm thinking of doing also a t-reno blog to advertise he's work but worried of a lack of time to do so. But i will still try to post picture of he's work once its ready cos' i feel that for such a good contractor, it would be a pity he's name is not here.

Anyhow, if u guys are interested to try he's service, please pm me.

BTW, i need good contact for window and window grills. Can anyone recommend?

Sze hui

Since you are quite new here and only has two post, it might help if post pics and share id name and firm openly otherwise it may seems like fake recommendation

Sze hui

Since you are quite new here and only has two post, it might help if post pics and share id name and firm openly otherwise it may seems like fake recommendation

I dun mind sharing. The name is Pinkk Associates. However, i dun have any pix to share yet. However, if you google the name or search in facebook, you'll be able to see he's work. I did ask him if he minds me making a recommendation here, but he didn't give me a direct reply. Only thing i have to say is he's cost is not cheap. I have been getting quotes around n he's is one of the more expensive one. But after viewing he's work, i felt quite safe for my house to be in he's hand. Hope to share pix when my house start renovating in Feb.

Edited by SzeHui

Thanks for sharing. My Fren was also happy with her Id but refused to recommend me until the whole reno was completed.

Rationale is that she wanted to ensure the id was 100% referable.

This is the reason why ppl are in this forum. Not just looking at the end product but making sure the whole process is smooth because the id made it so

Thanks for sharing. My Fren was also happy with her Id but refused to recommend me until the whole reno was completed.

Rationale is that she wanted to ensure the id was 100% referable.

This is the reason why ppl are in this forum. Not just looking at the end product but making sure the whole process is smooth because the id made it so

Oh...my super "niao niao" frend had used this contractor already and is smooth. I'm not as worried about this part when i have decided to choose him. that's why i ended up paying more to give myself a better sleep. Of cos' i have been following the blogs of other forumers and was very envious of that they spend so little for so much. But i was reminded several times by other friends that "cheap doesn't always means good" and "do u hv time for coordination work". Hopefully the $$ is well paid.

Sorry but it's sounding more and more fishy the whole story. So detailed yet missed out that a Fren engaged him to reno. Haven't reno but already recommend frens to engage him.

Renovation is a tricky business becox there r many variable factors, eg the element of luck is definitely involved.

The older the flat, the more complications u get...

And what is good for a customer might jux be unacceptable for another becox everybody has different expectations, communication styles etc etc...

When short listing renovators, do not engage any whom u feel uncomfortable about even with good reviews.

Sorry but it's sounding more and more fishy the whole story. So detailed yet missed out that a Fren engaged him to reno. Haven't reno but already recommend frens to engage him.

no problem to show u the pix of my friend's renovation work. No need to feel fishy. I have just commented on what i saw. No need to provide so detailed story right? not as if i gg to write a novel here. Anyhow, no worries, i'll come up wif a t-reno blog when i start my renovation soon. At least, i'll post a few pix up.

Renovation is a tricky business becox there r many variable factors, eg the element of luck is definitely involved.

The older the flat, the more complications u get...

And what is good for a customer might jux be unacceptable for another becox everybody has different expectations, communication styles etc etc...

When short listing renovators, do not engage any whom u feel uncomfortable about even with good reviews.

Yes, this is something i agree totally. The older the flat, the more complication it is. Engaging someone who is experienced and honest is the best policy even if it means paying abit more.

btw, zhiz, i just realised that u had the same floor plan as me. did you do your window and how much have you done it for?

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a question to ask. Will we be charged consultation fees when we give them our floor plan and ask for quotation?

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a question to ask. Will we be charged consultation fees when we give them our floor plan and ask for quotation?

Nope. you will not be charged. ANyhow, this is a good way to judge ur contractors as well. For those that are prompt, you can go ahead with the 2nd part. For those that don't reply or take weeks n months, u can jolly well forget about them

I'm interested in a reliable contractor to do a major renovation for my house.

I doubt I want any ID to cut costs as I think most of my furniture will come from IKEA.

I've some initial thoughts about what we want but the problem is there are too many

conflicting posts on this forum about who to trust and so on.

If any of you have reliable contractors that do not cost an arm and a leg, I'll be

interested to speak with them. I'm hoping to get references from owners NOT self-promoters.

We also want to engage a reliable Professional Engineer to look at some cracks in my house.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

I can be reached at liutehnsin@yahoo.com.sg