Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Thanks bro Soichiro, RB, rickervon and others for their advice on the safety of sliding windows along the corridor.

That's prob like one of the major peeves abt corridor units... lack of privacy, and now potential safety risk...

in fact, at my current place (my parents' place), it has been broken into once, and it was thru my window (which is the room along the corridor); I can't remember how it was done, as i was still schooling then and was staying in hostel... the windows panes were prob unlocked then... and the aluminium window grilles gave way quite easily...

it did scare the **** out of my mum... she lost quite a bit of gold jewellery and US dollars stashed at home... and the most chilling part... she found a chopper on the bed in the MBR...

since then, she insists that i always keep the windows closed and locked, when I'm out, even momentarily...

Alex (my windows contractor) had advised me to use wrought iron fixed grilles for my windows facing the corridor, and also to choose a design that's not just horizontal bars... but i think i've chosen asethetics over practicality. :(

he has yet to install the grilles, which is supposed to be after ; maybe I should check with him whether I can change the grilles to wrought iron instead... as for whether to have them fixed... hmmm... have to consider again...

btw, he's throwing in some free locking devices (similar to what rickervon is recommending) for the windows facing the corridor...

actually, at my flat, i have seen some newly renovated units, with lesser security... they only have windows with privacy/reflective film, and not window grilles at all, even at the area facing the corridor...

i know, coz i peeked in before, and there's only windows and the roller blind. but i think their unit might be fully aircon-ed and the windows are never open...

oh well.. more things to consider... but nevertheless, thanks for all your advice. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Finally I got some time to update RT!!! Great flooring you have there... Looks fantastic!

Hhmmmm... The windows are so easily opened? Scary leh.... I must go home and try although I wonder anyone would try my windows especially I have lots of things along the corridor. To access the windows, need to remove those things first? Would it deter the thieves?

Well we have our washing out in front of our windows and I would imagine the thought of ending up with a pair of my underwear on their head like an unwelcome balaclava after crawling through that death trap of my wife devising would put off most thieves.

Now for those of you screaming internally from that imagery.......

Here is a cute puppy....

puppy.jpg

RB

Hahaha...finally some updated progress photographs as at 21-May-2011, 4:00pm!!

Wow...mae, so nice of you to help csingeu to post the reno pics :bow: Thinks csingeu must be super touched, especially when he is so tied-up with school, exams, work, wedding... :thumbs up:

The window/grille thingie sure sounds scary leh... my unit is directly accessible from the lift and we are installing alum grille...oh no... :o Maybe can putt a pad lock on the grille? :dunno: Dunno leh...aesthetic, safety, cost...really gotta weigh

argh...

i hate receiving phone calls from my contractor during office hours...

usually, it's nothing gd...

today, he called to inform that one of the kitchen floor tiles, i've asked him to replace due to uneven joints... the replacement tile, though from the same tile no., had a slightly different tone... prob due to different batch...

as i went up in the dark just now to see, i wasn't able to see clearly, but i can tell, there's really a slight difference... and i'm not hopeful that it will look the same after the acid wash...

and that piece happens to be the one of the prominent pieces, into the kitchen... :furious:

i wonder why my contractor did not keep more extra tiles from the same batch, for just-in-case works like this...

argh...

Sharing here what can be done to simply secure the windows along corridor:

My children's previous EM at Bukit Batok, their late father simply use this method of inserting a wooden rod inside the track.

My friends' homes in Malaysia, they are also using the same method for their sliding grilles.

Good info here mae29....thank you! :D

argh...

today, he called to inform that one of the kitchen floor tiles, i've asked him to replace due to uneven joints... the replacement tile, though from the same tile no., had a slightly different tone... prob due to different batch...

as i went up in the dark just now to see, i wasn't able to see clearly, but i can tell, there's really a slight difference... and i'm not hopeful that it will look the same after the acid wash...

and that piece happens to be the one of the prominent pieces, into the kitchen... :furious:

i wonder why my contractor did not keep more extra tiles from the same batch, for just-in-case works like this...

argh...

that happened to me as well. just so happened that they finished using all tiles, so when i use my high heels to test for hollowness, they have to replace those few. somehow, there are 2 that are of different tone. but thank goodness those 2 are in store room so i just ignore it. if not, i am going to really really upset!!! just like you, at promient place! Ask them to redo again for you! that is a must!

8|

argh...

argh...

Yah, I agree with May, must make them work things out for you! 8| Even if it means the contractor has to buy from other suppliers/contractors at a high cost, he has to resolve it and bear the cost too. Don't let this pass. Imagine that "out-of-sort" piece is gonna be there permanently shouting at you "hey, I am different" until you change the whole flooring :bangwall:

Hmm...I think I better ask my contractor to keep spare tiles for every piece of design we have... :unsure:

Tot most id/contractor will have extra de. Mine does.

Worst come to worst, re-tile if need to.

Will spend more time but can't b helped if not will stand out like a sore thumb lor.

Then everytime see Le sure heartache, esp in a prominent location... :(

I guess i'll have to go up again in the morning to see again...

*heartache* sia...

tiling works... is really the most troublesome one... i think carpentry will be a headache later too... :bangwall:

I guess i'll have to go up again in the morning to see again...

*heartache* sia...

tiling works... is really the most troublesome one... i think carpentry will be a headache later too... :bangwall:

Don't worry lah, csingeu, I am sure problems will eventually be solved. If need be, use RT as your "bargaining chips". Tell your contractor/ID, "Wah...like that how to help you market your firm on RT? I plan to post nice pics and recommend you somemore" :P

Don't worry lah, csingeu, I am sure problems will eventually be solved. If need be, use RT as your "bargaining chips". Tell your contractor/ID, "Wah...like that how to help you market your firm on RT? I plan to post nice pics and recommend you somemore" :P

Haha, I always use this method too :sport-smiley-004: till now, it works well for me :yamseng:

Since long time our friend didn't update the progress, and I brought along my camera with me all the time, I might as well clicked a few pictures while we went up to his place.

I'm an unskilled photographer, so apologize for any badly taken images.

Since long time our friend didn't update the progress, and I brought along my camera with me all the time, I might as well clicked a few pictures while we went up to his place.

I'm an unskilled photographer, so apologize for any badly taken images.

Hey mae29!

Thanks for helping to take the pics and update the progress! :P

If left to me to do it, I think it would be at least another week or so...

Base coat done for ceiling and some parts of the walls... (can't really tell in the darkness... )

Varnishing of the parquet floor tiles will be done this Fri/Sat.

The delivery of the lights will be this Sat morning/afternoon. and next Mon, I should be having some lights at the new place... :)

I hope the choices will be ok... quite a bit of warm white lightings, in the living rm, dining rm, staircase, MBR, balcony ...

cool white/daylight for kitchen, utility room, 2 common bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and hallway...

and 2 sets of track lights with warm white LED for the 2nd level walkway, and the breakfast counter...

warm white cove lighting for living rm, dining rm & MBR...

every evening, when i walk home from the MRT station, i'll pass by my new place, and go up there and stay for abt 30 min or so... just looking at the same things again... spend some time abt the balcony, enjoy the breeze... in the darkness... :)

i hope things will turn out smoothly at the end...

on the contrast, my wife doesn't really like going up all the time, coz she feels it's the same; there's no new things to see... LOL...

I love the tiles combo in the bathroom - really nice :)

Nice progress too - everything seems to be falling together nicely.

Hope your reno goes smoothly!

- Ely