Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
juz_me

Mould Under Desk

i read this thread because my shoe cabinet has this problem. wife put mothballs thinking it would solve but nope. it stil grew and looked **** gross. thats when i totally agreed with the roots alr in the wood.

i found a Mr Muscle "Stain and Mould Killer" and have sprayed onto them. lets see if it works aft these few days.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
i read this thread because my shoe cabinet has this problem. wife put mothballs thinking it would solve but nope. it stil grew and looked **** gross. thats when i totally agreed with the roots alr in the wood.

i found a Mr Muscle "Stain and Mould Killer" and have sprayed onto them. lets see if it works aft these few days.

Mr Muscle is just bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite). You can get the same effect by just wiping over the surface with normal NTUC bleach or Chlorox which is VERY much cheaper than Mr Muscle. But do take note, bleach is quite harmful when inhaled that is why wiping with cloth is probably safer than spraying which creates mist. Bleach may also damage some surfaces. Test it on a small spot first before using it on your shoe cabinet.

Anyway, the effect of bleach is not as permanent as Borax (but of course better than not doing anything right?) The oxidizing effect of bleach actually gets consumed when in contact leaving behind just non active sodium hydroxide solution (the soapy sensation when we touch it). Bleach does not leave any protective residue so the surface will "invite" other new spores to land and grow on it again even if that surface is now clear of mold.

(The non active sodium hydroxide solution in bleach does not make your clothes white or kills germs, but it is this Sodium hydroxide that damages the fibre of you clothes soaked in bleach. It makes it thin and easily torn )

I remember I saw from Chinese newspaper mentioned can use alcohol to get rid mould. I can scan Chinese newspaper.

i think moth ball is more for insect and not for mold, so it's not going to be effective against the mold.

i cleaned my wardrobe with bleach last week. it's coming back again :curse: that's the price of staying near a lake... high humidity niah~ :(

i also read that tea tree oil can be used in place of bleach. it is a better (and safer?) solution as compared to bleach or hydrogen peroxide, but should be a lot more pricey... :lol:

anyway, i am thinking of getting those wardrobe dehumidifier. anyone used this before?

Mr Muscle is just bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite). You can get the same effect by just wiping over the surface with normal NTUC bleach or Chlorox which is VERY much cheaper than Mr Muscle. But do take note, bleach is quite harmful when inhaled that is why wiping with cloth is probably safer than spraying which creates mist. Bleach may also damage some surfaces. Test it on a small spot first before using it on your shoe cabinet.

Anyway, the effect of bleach is not as permanent as Borax (but of course better than not doing anything right?) The oxidizing effect of bleach actually gets consumed when in contact leaving behind just non active sodium hydroxide solution (the soapy sensation when we touch it). Bleach does not leave any protective residue so the surface will "invite" other new spores to land and grow on it again even if that surface is now clear of mold.

(The non active sodium hydroxide solution in bleach does not make your clothes white or kills germs, but it is this Sodium hydroxide that damages the fibre of you clothes soaked in bleach. It makes it thin and easily torn )

i see...anyw lets give it few days...next weekend i can update the results.

on the bottle, it act wrote "kills at the roots" or something. :P

Hmmmmm.....is the bottom of your writing table bare / raw / untreated / unpainted wood? the thing that you can do is to paint a semi or high gloss paint,

The English polish will work the same as painting with a semi or high gloss finish.

The "roots" that you always say are what we call spores. Protein Shell that is almost impossible to break through.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Borax information: safety advice

Always keep borax away from food. It is quite toxic if ingested. As little as a teaspoonful could possibly kill a small child or make them quite sick, so keep it well out of reach of children.

For others swallowing borax could provoke gastic upsets. Nevertheless it is regarded by Rio Tinto (who manufacture it in California) as having "low acute toxicity".

Keep your skin free from harm by wearing rubber gloves. Make sure you wash your hands after using it.

Make sure that you don't inhale it or get it in your eyes - wear protective gear if in doubt. This is important if you are using it outdoors or in draughty conditions.

You should also be careful when using it in place where pets go. One lady who contacted me used it on her carpets regularly and her cat developed serious respiratory difficulties. This could have been a co-incidence but it's something to bear in mind if you are planning to use it for cleaning your carpets. Using it on carpets could also pose a hazard to toddlers and crawling babies.

Wipe up any spills carefully and store it somewhere well out of harms way.

If you use it carefully, borax is a good, effective and environmentally friendly cleaner.