Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AXO_vampire

Fridge With Freezer At Bottom

i was shopping around for a fridge and a salesman told me that refrigerator with freezer at the bottom tends to spoil easily... is it true??

he advises me to get a "usual" type, which is the one with freezer at the top..

he also says that the energy efficiency which was tested and labelled on the fridge by the government is only accurate for "maybe first year only". as the fridge gets older, the energy consumption will increase.. is it true?

he added that only fridge with inverter compressor will be able to maintain the energy consumption as stated for many many years..

can anyone advise on this??

i am so confused now..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
i was shopping around for a fridge and a salesman told me that refrigerator with freezer at the bottom tends to spoil easily... is it true??

he advises me to get a "usual" type, which is the one with freezer at the top..

he also says that the energy efficiency which was tested and labelled on the fridge by the government is only accurate for "maybe first year only". as the fridge gets older, the energy consumption will increase.. is it true?

he added that only fridge with inverter compressor will be able to maintain the energy consumption as stated for many many years..

can anyone advise on this??

i am so confused now..

of all things equal, all fridges will degrade in efficiency as it ages, so all will increase energy consumption, what really is the matter?

as the compressor is typically located at the bottom, the pipes used in bottom freezer is significantly shorter than traditional top-shelf freezer, so less heat is absorbed from the surroundings while the liquid coolant travels a much shorter distance to cool the freezer. this translates to higher efficiency, and compressor working less hard to overcome the unwanted heat losses.

as the compressor is typically located at the bottom, the pipes used in bottom freezer is significantly shorter than traditional top-shelf freezer, so less heat is absorbed from the surroundings while the liquid coolant travels a much shorter distance to cool the freezer. this translates to higher efficiency, and compressor working less hard to overcome the unwanted heat losses.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Why is it then that most fridges still have the freezer on top? Since the fridge is more often opened than the freezer, it actually makes much more sense to have the fridge door as the higher one.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Why is it then that most fridges still have the freezer on top? Since the fridge is more often opened than the freezer, it actually makes much more sense to have the fridge door as the higher one.

my guess is traditionally pple prefer top-freezer than bottom freezer, that's why the typical design... like what u mentioned, ergonomics in design, the frequency of opening traditional freezer-top fridge and bending down to look what is inside, compared to the less-frequent opening of the freezer compartment...

Edited by neubie

Another reason is that hot air rises and cool air sinks.. Usually, a typical two door fridge shares the same fan coil or something (I can't remember). And if the freezer is at the bottom, it has to work harder to cool the fridge area as thats where the hot air will go.

Not sure if this sounds logical. Was what a promoter was explaining to me when I was deciding between a Samsung fridge (freezer at the top) and a Panasonic fridge (freezer at the bottom).

i have a F&P fridge wif d freezer at d bottom. been using it for a couple of years. moved house once without properly securing its parts, except for the doors. so far so good.

d gd thing abt it tt i've come to really enjoy is tt i dun hv to bend down to get anything frm the fridge compartment. stand upright, open the door, and get watever drinks i want, butter, eggs, fruits, veggie etc etc....cos the fridge area has 2 "boxes" wif humidity control for fruits and veggie. all either at ur eye level, or ur arm's level. absolutely no need to bend the back at all. unless u're taller than 1.9m. if tt's the case, buy a taller model, or put ur fridge on leg supports, or build a taller fridge base. i wld rather do all these to take better care of my lower back than to put it thru all tt stress of constantly bending it, or bending my knees to lower myself. either way, one of the joints will suffer.

i cant imagine switching back to top freezer type of fridge. and as we all age, i dun think we wld wan to bend down too often to get things frm our fridge, rite?

Edited by manutd1972

i have a F&P fridge wif d freezer at d bottom. been using it for a couple of years. moved house once without properly securing its parts, except for the doors. so far so good.

d gd thing abt it tt i've come to really enjoy is tt i dun hv to bend down to get anything frm the fridge compartment. stand upright, open the door, and get watever drinks i want, butter, eggs, fruits, veggie etc etc....cos the fridge area has 2 "boxes" wif humidity control for fruits and veggie. all either at ur eye level, or ur arm's level. absolutely no need to bend the back at all. unless u're taller than 1.9m. if tt's the case, buy a taller model, or put ur fridge on leg supports, or build a taller fridge base. i wld rather do all these to take better care of my lower back than to put it thru all tt stress of constantly bending it, or bending my knees to lower myself. either way, one of the joints will suffer.

i cant imagine switching back to top freezer type of fridge. and as we all age, i dun think we wld wan to bend down too often to get things frm our fridge, rite?

haha for me it's the other way round... although engineering sense told me that bottom freezer should be good cos cold air sinks, i found it more difficult to retrieve heavy, frozen food stuff from bottom freezer, as compared to lighter veggies/fruits from bottom compartment...maybe becos i'm short also :lol:

So in the end, still got the top freezer type fridge :P

my guess is traditionally pple prefer top-freezer than bottom freezer, that's why the typical design... like what u mentioned, ergonomics in design, the frequency of opening traditional freezer-top fridge and bending down to look what is inside, compared to the less-frequent opening of the freezer compartment...

maybe in the past, insulation technology wasn't so good to insulate a bottom freezer from the heat generated by compressor? also the compressed gas needs to cool down rite, so maybe they were making use of the pipe length from bottom to top to allow the gas to cool down....?

lol..

i am so sorry.. i posted this question and got so many replies but i dun quite understand..

so sorry... can anyone tell me in layman's term.. or simpler??

haha...

means freezer at bottom is better is lousier?

coz the salesman told me that freezer at bottom design will spoil / break down more easily than the traditional freezer on-top type..

As for the energy consumption... the salesman told me that fridge with inverter compressor will be able to maintain the energy consumption throughout the years, whereas "normal" compressor will increase its energy consumption even after year one??...

sorry for the 2 questions.. but hope to get it soon...

Thkx alot...

lol..

i am so sorry.. i posted this question and got so many replies but i dun quite understand..

haha...

means freezer at bottom is better is lousier?

coz the salesman told me that freezer at bottom design will spoil / break down more easily than the traditional freezer on-top type..

As for the energy consumption... the salesman told me that fridge with inverter compressor will be able to maintain the energy consumption throughout the years, whereas "normal" compressor will increase its energy consumption even after year one??...

sorry for the 2 questions.. but hope to get it soon...

Thkx alot...

i'm not sure about Question 1, but for your Question 2, what neubie tried to say above is that all motors, inverter or not, efficiency will reduce over time. So the salesperson's claim on "inverter efficiency won't change over the years" is not quite a sound one ;)

btw, for your reading:

http://products.howstuffworks.com/bottom-f...uying-guide.htm

Edited by marshmallow

yes, i agreed that having fruits and vege and drinks at eye or arm level is definitely easier than having freezer at eye level. most of the time you open the fridge is not to get frozen items....

lol..

haha...

my ex-colleague tell me why freeze on the top is better than at bottom.

B'coz

Freeze at the top is out of the reach from young kid.

Avoid them to open the freeze, eat ice-cream

And play the freeze.

Open and close.. cold.. not cold.. it's fun

:D

B'coz

And play the freeze.

this is so true.... my fren told me before too~ :lol:

no wonder my parents only changed to bottom freezer type after all of us have grown up ;)

Edited by marshmallow

Another reason is that hot air rises and cool air sinks.. Usually, a typical two door fridge shares the same fan coil or something (I can't remember). And if the freezer is at the bottom, it has to work harder to cool the fridge area as thats where the hot air will go.

Not sure if this sounds logical. Was what a promoter was explaining to me when I was deciding between a Samsung fridge (freezer at the top) and a Panasonic fridge (freezer at the bottom).

is the panasonic fridge the one with blue coloured holders ?

i am also looking at that one...

so which one did u get at last?

i'm not sure about Question 1, but for your Question 2, what neubie tried to say above is that all motors, inverter or not, efficiency will reduce over time. So the salesperson's claim on "inverter efficiency won't change over the years" is not quite a sound one ;)

btw, for your reading:

http://products.howstuffworks.com/bottom-f...uying-guide.htm

i see i see... haha...

i get finally get it le... thkx alot .. :)

B'coz

And play the freeze.

haha... this is a good one...

i never thought of it before...

i got 2 kids... so must put that in consideration...