Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seamonkee

Neighdor Downstair Complain Spalling Ceiling Becoz Of My Reno

Need advice...

My home started renovation and hacking began this week. For records, it's an old flat in an old estate of 30 years or more... We already did the necessary of informing & apologising ahead to our neighbors for any inconvenience caused.

The neighbor downstair can even "smile smile" and say dun worry about it cause they "understand"...

Guess what? 1st day of reno during hacking already pattern all come out... They called my contractor/ID and demand for repair of spalliing ceiling claiming my "hacking" work damage their ceiling... even called HDB to complain... but in front of me, they smile smile... Think they expect "free works" from my contractor....

My main contractor out of good will offered to patch up & paint ONLY the affected area but neighbour demanded for full ceiling hacking + cementing + plastering + repainting the whole house's ceiling.... It's obvious they are taking our reno an opportunity to "carrot chop" us or our contractor...

I've spoken to HDB for advice but they stay clear of it unless it is really unresolvable... HDB only "hinted" & mentioned that spalling ceiling is expected in old estate and my hacking of tiles shouldn't be the main cause of it... However, out of good will, we can have our contractor "touch up" the affected area juz to please our neighbour... HDB again emphasied "only affected area"...

In this case, I want to ask what's my obligation to the neighbour? Do I have a good case to fight?

Edited by seamonkee

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Need advice...

My home started renovation and hacking began this week. For records, it's an old flat in an old estate of 30 years or more... We already did the necessary of informing & apologising ahead to our neighbors for any inconvenience caused.

The neighbor downstair can even "smile smile" and say dun worry about it cause they "understand"...

Guess what? 1st day of reno during hacking already pattern all come out... They called my contractor/ID and demand for repair of spalliing ceiling claiming my "hacking" work damage their ceiling... even called HDB to complain... but in front of me, they smile smile... Think they expect "free works" from my contractor....

My main contractor out of good will offered to patch up & paint ONLY the affected area but neighbour demanded for full ceiling hacking + cementing + plastering + repainting the whole house's ceiling.... It's obvious they are taking our reno an opportunity to "carrot chop" us or our contractor...

I've spoken to HDB for advice but they stay clear of it unless it is really unresolvable... HDB only "hinted" & mentioned that spalling ceiling is expected in old estate and my hacking of tiles shouldn't be the main cause of it... However, out of good will, we can have our contractor "touch up" the affected area juz to please our neighbour... they did emphasied only "affected area"...

In this case, I want to ask what's my obligation to the neighbour? Do I have a good case to fight?

really? hhmmm... my upstairs neighbour also did reno and a piece of ceiling fell unto my plates and bowls. but i also never go complain leh..... maybe i should huh?? hahahaha.....

really? hhmmm... my upstairs neighbour also did reno and a piece of ceiling fell unto my plates and bowls. but i also never go complain leh..... maybe i should huh?? hahahaha.....

Patch up affected area... I can understand lah....

but I think to hack away whole house ceiling + re-cementing + plastering + repaint whole house ceiling is a bit trying luck too far.... Dun u agree?

Sigh.... :unsure:

Need advice...

I've spoken to HDB for advice but they stay clear of it unless it is really unresolvable... HDB only "hinted" & mentioned that spalling ceiling is expected in old estate and my hacking of tiles shouldn't be the main cause of it... However, out of good will, we can have our contractor "touch up" the affected area juz to please our neighbour... HDB again emphasied "only affected area"...

i've also received letter from HDB for same kind of complaints from my downstairs neighbour. in the letter, HDB already made it clear that it's the contractor obligation to make good. My contractor just told me he will settle everything.

dun worry... this is quite common for old resale flats.. there is nothing much to fight about :)

i've also received letter from HDB for same kind of complaints from my downstairs neighbour. in the letter, HDB already made it clear that it's the contractor obligation to make good. My contractor just told me he will settle everything.

dun worry... this is quite common for old resale flats.. there is nothing much to fight about :)

really?? oh ok.... then i have to take note of that as well when i do my reno.

really?? oh ok.... then i have to take note of that as well when i do my reno.

some pple get it, some dun... i think it depends on the neighbour too.... if it's already ill-maintained, then very likely to have problem during our reno...

Need advice...

woah! what cheapos! Want whole house? Thats worst than daylight robbery. :o

As forumers said, contractor will settle... u can take revenge later since they live below u.

Common things like stamping ur feet, hang out wet dripping laudry to dry, drag heavy stuff, etc to irritate them... if aiming is accurate, can throw stuff on their air con compressor too. i think drop some food on their air con compressor to attract birds is a very good idea as well...

[just kidding on the above] :D

im just stating some inconsiderate acts by my neighbours upstairs which irritate me.... :P

Yup.... My contractor says he will handle everything... told me not to worry... Good on him... :)

but I'm juz stunned at how my neighbour can leverage on a situation and ask for a whole chicken when offered a drumstick....

Want to do the whole house ceiling... whole house?!? That was really ridiculous....

Will update u guys again on what happen... Now my contractor is going to his place to survey the condition & negotiate....

but did you, the owner have to end up having to pay for the work at the neighbour place?

My only worry is it can't be resolved between contractor and neighbour esp when neighbour start to ask for ridiculous stuff from the contractoe (for this instance, he wanted whole house ceiling to be done up).... In this case, do we revert back to HDB if things go out of hand? :unsure:

but did you, the owner have to end up having to pay for the work at the neighbour place?

My only worry is it can't be resolved between contractor and neighbour esp when neighbour start to ask for ridiculous stuff from the contractoe (for this instance, he wanted whole house ceiling to be done up).... In this case, do we revert back to HDB if things go out of hand? :unsure:

no. i didn't pay a single cent for this :P

maybe you can check the HDB letter again. in my letter, they mentioned specifically about kitchen and both toilets ceilings. so my contractor only do these 3 places... though my contractor did tell me that their whole house also CMI... hahahaha :lol: whether they make further arrangement to make good other areas, i dunno.

Yup.... My contractor says he will handle everything... told me not to worry... Good on him... :)

but I'm juz stunned at how my neighbour can leverage on a situation and ask for a whole chicken when offered a drumstick....

Want to do the whole house ceiling... whole house?!? That was really ridiculous....

Will update u guys again on what happen... Now my contractor is going to his place to survey the condition & negotiate....

Bro,

can PM me ur contractor? They seem pretty reasonable. Thks

This is very common for downstairs taking advantage of reno contractor above their house, we have met so many in our reno life and problem never ending.

Most of the time we did that out for goodwill to please our hdb officer, try not to make them difficult mah :P

One best case we came across....after hacking, the upstairs owner complained to hdb say their cornice dropped, wall cracked and threaten us to paint for them whole house :yamseng:

oh these folks staying below ur unit are cheapsakes.

And it's so ridiculous: spalling concrete DOES NOT take place overnight.

If within hours of kicking off the reno & they come complaining, it's very obvious that they r taking advantage.

Which is why, some people do not believe in being nice to their new neighbours... The lesser said, the better it is.

Perhaps they were smiling becox they knew that their chance of getting thing done free is here. So of course, they smile at you becox they are riding on your reno bills! To get their maintenance work done free of charge.

It goes to show that their flat is very ill-maintained. Terrible neighbours! tsk! tsk! tsk!

:no:

This is very common for downstairs taking advantage of reno contractor above their house, we have met so many in our reno life and problem never ending.

Most of the time we did that out for goodwill to please our hdb officer, try not to make them difficult mah :P

One best case we came across....after hacking, the upstairs owner complained to hdb say their cornice dropped, wall cracked and threaten us to paint for them whole house :yamseng:

hahahaha... i also read on RT before that someone living 2 floors below were complaining, even though the neighbour immediately below has no problem! :lol:

so in the end, was that upstairs neighbour successful in getting you to "repair" for them? :P

hahahaha... i also read on RT before that someone living 2 floors below were complaining, even though the neighbour immediately below has no problem! :lol:

so in the end, was that upstairs neighbour successful in getting you to "repair" for them? :P

Long story, we don't agreed with the cornice so asked them to f spider.

they were not suppose to plaster the groove line (expension groove) and was already had alot of cracks, and we pointed out to show hdb officer that some were being patched before and has covered by layer of paints.

we have no choice after receiving hdb letters demand to close the case, and being begged by a few phone calls from hdb officer, end up we provide free labour to patch & paint the walls for them, on one condition they have to provide their own paint.

My advise to all owner, touch wood if it happened to your house, stay out of it and let your contractor to deal with your neighbor. IF neighbour calling you, just ignore the calls or give them your contractor number will do, otherwise it going to be very messy :(