Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Robin83

Keys To The Flat

Hi all,

Having such a headache with this problem. Just got our flat which is just opposite block from my parents flat. However, my mum insists that we should give them a spare ste of our house keys. Which I feel is inappropriate. What do you guys think. Would you give your parents a set of spare keys? Please advise me.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Troubled soul

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

Having such a headache with this problem. Just got our flat which is just opposite block from my parents flat. However, my mum insists that we should give them a spare ste of our house keys. Which I feel is inappropriate. What do you guys think. Would you give your parents a set of spare keys? Please advise me.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Troubled soul

i gave my parents a spare set of keys - they are my parents leh, they have every right to come to my house as and when they want to~ i dun find it inappropriate at all~ :P

also quite good la... my mom can buy things for me and leave them at my home when we are out for work :lol:

but really... even if you don't like it... if small matter like this is going to cause arguement between you and your mom, might as well just give them the keys~

marshmallow, provided your spouse don't mind.

If might look very small thing but it might cause conflict in the later stage.

I remember I read somewhere , a newly couple give spare key to the parent (husband's parent).

Then the MIL is very curious type. She check the wife wardrobe.

Hi Robin

I do give my folks a spare set of keys too, but seriously doubt they will give surprise visits. Our rationale is really simple - in case we forget to bring our set, we can just pop over to get it from them.

Perhaps this is what your mum is thinking too when she requested to keep a set?

marshmallow, provided your spouse don't mind.

If might look very small thing but it might cause conflict in the later stage.

I remember I read somewhere , a newly couple give spare key to the parent (husband's parent).

Then the MIL is very curious type. She check the wife wardrobe.

then this boils down to an individual character problem liao... in this case the IL shows no respect to other people's privacy at all. it's no longer a question on whether it's appropriate to give parents the keys or not~

then this boils down to an individual character problem liao... in this case the IL shows no respect to other people's privacy at all. it's no longer a question on whether it's appropriate to give parents the keys or not~

Truth.

But only by then, then you will know.

By then, how to take back the key w/o damage the relationship.

i think its up to individual too, depend on why she wants a set? and the mother is what kind of character...

if my mum asked, i will give, no need reason... ever since i moved out, i still keep a spare set of my mum's hse key cos sometime if i boil some soup i will just pop over and pass her some...

afterall, she's my mum... she can try to accomodate us and give the best to us... i dun understand why cant we do the same to them...

its my own opinion... no offence....

Truth.

But only by then, then you will know.

By then, how to take back the key w/o damage the relationship.

hahaha then gotta ask the spouse how is his/her parents like before giving key :lol:

alternative: change to digital lock or something hi-tech so the problematic ILs will give up :lol: well... just joking~ ;)

i think its up to individual too, depend on why she wants a set? and the mother is what kind of character...

if my mum asked, i will give, no need reason... ever since i moved out, i still keep a spare set of my mum's hse key cos sometime if i boil some soup i will just pop over and pass her some...

afterall, she's my mum... she can try to accomodate us and give the best to us... i dun understand why cant we do the same to them...

its my own opinion... no offence....

exactly my thought: i'd love my parents to come anytime they like, my home is their home too. but as i point out earlier, some pple may face different problems with their parents/ILs....

Mash: yeah... really got to depend on individual.. Jia JIa you beng nan nian de jing... otherwise i don't think its a problem at all...