Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nettez

Project Punggol Lodge!

Hi everyone, we have just received keys to our Punggol Lodge Unit last month, and thought of sharing our renovation experiences here with the rest! Being first time home owners, we will be managing the reno works ourselves, with the help of some family members. Our target is to be able to reno the house between 20 and 23k, and we're keeping our fingers crossed on that! :D

Some pre reno photos. Punggol Lodge Unit, total area = 93 sqm including aircon service yard

1. Living/Dining area.

We got out flat in the Oct 09 Balance sale of flats... and fortunate enough to be able to select a unit with a nice layout! Adjoining Living and dining area... which will make our furniture layout later an easier job

Living_DinningRoom.jpg

2. Squarish Kitchen Layout, wall and floor tiles already done up

Kitchen4.jpg>

with more than enough electrical powerpoints. Wanted to hack part of this wall for a breakfast table top, but after many discussions with contractors, decided that there will be no good place to put the fridge~

Kitchen7.jpg

3. Masterbed Room

Abit small, but no complains... thought of putting a king-sized bed at first, but seems like queen-size will be better for this size

MasterRoom2.jpg

4. Toilets

We found that the toilets doors were too big... the toilet doors were bigger than the room doors. For convenience purpose, will have to change to folding/sliding doors later

MasterToilet2.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Lights Up!

The first thing we did was to do up the lights. Got the contact for lights from Renotalk as well. For the living room, 'cool light' lightings were chosen for the cove and downlights. Cost of each downlights were approx $23 from lighting shops in Balestier... but our contractor is able to get a much lower price for that.

Width of the false ceiling is same as the main door,

IMG_03871.jpg

2 downlights installed for our walkway,

IMG_03861.jpg

As for masterbed room, we had wanted something different from the living room and unique! My fiance had the idea of an 'arc' cove lighting for our bedroom, and here's what our contractor managed to do for us,

IMG_03843.jpg

The lights in the photo look orange-y, but it is actually not so in reality. 'warm light' lightings were chosen for the bedroom, for a laid-back feel.

IMG_0385.jpg

hi there PL neighbour, let me welcome you to renotalk!

always interesting to see what different people do with our BTO flats and definitely will visit your blog since yours is exactly the same as mine hahaha

love the arc for the cove light - very cool. keep the updates coming :)

hi there PL neighbour, let me welcome you to renotalk!

always interesting to see what different people do with our BTO flats and definitely will visit your blog since yours is exactly the same as mine hahaha

love the arc for the cove light - very cool. keep the updates coming :)

hey hafiizh, thanks! I'm also interested to see what you will be doing for your unit... Uploading any new photos soon? I see that your kitchen is done!

Our unit is undergoing flooring works this week, and excited to see how things will pan out too. Prob update again later this week. :D

Tiling (almost) done... 90% completed!

Back to update on the progress of the renovation, :D it's been 1 week since the tiling works begin. As picture speaks a thousand words, following are the pictures taken on the progress,

[ Day 1 Night Time ]

Went down after work together with my Fiance, for a 'preview' on how things are coming along. Our tiling contractor began with the most challenging part of the tiling works; the Walkway! Tiles were laid in an alternate fashion as shown in the pic below. The Walkway idea was suggested by our friend, who is also in ID industry.

photo4.jpg

Tiling indeed is the messiest part of the reno...

photo3.jpg

[ Day 4 Lunch Time ]

Special walkway almost completed. Special metallic bronze 30x60 tiles chosen for our "walkway", purchased from Lian Seng Hin after numerous comparison of prices across shops! We bought the tiles and engaged the tile contractor separately, think this will save us quite a bit of cost :)

photo2-1.jpg

An elongated view of walkway

photo1.jpg

This photo is 1 of the sources where we got out inspiration! we will also be doing up an 'art feature wall' once the tiling works have completed

photo5.jpg

[ Day 7 Afternoon ]

And there it is! Absolutely loved the glossy white 60x60 tiles! Only concern that it may be very slippery when wet... but heck la! What's left with the remaining 10% are the skirting works, before we proceed to do an "art feature wall" as in the previous picture posted. Planned to hang a nice art painting on the wall once all's done.

photo-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Showing the contrast between 2 different tiles,

photo3-1.jpg

Please post more fotos... can i visit your house ? we are on the same blk. ;)

Hey hey neighbour! I just saw your post on renotalk... good thing that you PM me! thanks for letting us visit your place too, and the tips that you have provided. We hope that we have been of some help to you too!

And I'm back again! It's been days since the last update, which also means, more interesting things to post/share on Renotalk! haha. :D

Had the opportunity to visit Laxer's place for some good ideas over the past 1 week (thanks Laxer and wife!) and got a contact for his contractor (Beyond Basic). Needed some quotes for the carpentry works coming up, and so far the quotes have looked quite promising (a.k.a within our budget). Previous quotes have been alittle on the high side.

Anyway, back to the updates:

[ Week 3 Updates ]

1. Special Feature Wall Up!

Laid with bricks against wall, and overlaid with the metallic bronze tiles.

Must say that my tiler did a Fantastic Job! We requested for alternate-laying of tiles (see pic below for illustration). Lian seng hin has advised that such alternate-laying requires a gab of at least 5mm apart between tiles. Reason being that it provides allowance for correction should the tiles slant, a potential problem for alternate laying styles.

But my tiler did it within 2mm! Zai right. Labour cost is $2.20 psf, PM me for contact if you need!

Instead of a TV feature wall which is pretty common these days, this will be our Feature Wall. All we need now for the wall is a nice oil painting to hang on!

wall1.jpg

Another angle of the Feature Wall.. it's about 7cm in thickness after over-laying of the tiles, just nice.

wall2.jpg

More photos of the Feature Wall... the tiles run from the top of the feature wall all the way to the floor, which stretches all the way into the masterbedroom.

Hard to explain, will post more pics again in future.

wall3.jpg

2. Beautiful Solid Parquet Flooring done!

3 rooms for $1750, how's that? I say it's definitely a steal!

I adore wooden floorings, and have been eyeing on laminated floorings as cheaper alternatives to parquet for a long time. Visited a few laminate wholesalers, and discovered that the high-end laminates cost $1600-$1800 for 3 rooms. These high-end laminates have embossing on it so that it looks like real wood.

I've seen the lower-end ones, costs about $1400 for 3 rooms. But it feels plastic-ky to touch.. no point using those.

Was lucky that I manage to get this parquet contact from my lightings contractor. His company does the parquet flooring for all the Duxton units in Chinatown.

Here's a picture of the Master Bedroom Parquet flooring

Parquet1.jpg

A picture of how it looks like during the process of laying the parquet.

Nails were driven into the planks to secure them, and to ensure that the glue between the planks and cemented floor solidifies.

Once its fully dried after 1 week, they will be removed. Wooden fillers were then used to seal the nail holes.

parquet2.jpg

3. Start of Painting Works

2 colours were chosen for our entire house, Cream White and Brownish Red (both Nippon colours). Brownish Red will be used on selected walls for each of the 3 rooms, so that there will be a consistent colour theme through out.

Brownish Red was chosen so that it harmonizes with our parquet flooring.

First coat of the the Brownish Red paint up for our Masterbed Room... looks good with our warm white lighting! :D But I must admit the dark colour made the masterbed room looked much smaller now...

masterroom1-1.jpg

Another angle of the Masterbed room. This is also where the built-in wardrobe will be. Our next challenge is to think of the right combi colours to choose for the wardrobe. :huh: That will be all for now!

masterroom2-1.jpg

Wow. You really got a good bargain for your parquet flooring! Don't mind can I ask how much did it cost to do the cove lighting/ceiling? Thanks!

Can't wait to see your whole house finish up!!! I like your concept of the feature wall by using tiles. Very creative instead!

Wow. You really got a good bargain for your parquet flooring! Don't mind can I ask how much did it cost to do the cove lighting/ceiling? Thanks!

hey Et209!

talk about the parquet flooring.. makes me wanto jump! :curse: the next few days after I uploaded the parquet flooring pics, the wooden planks started to warp. Contractor says cement flooring not dry enough, moisture caused wooden planks to warp. will be posting pics of the damage soon.. gonna ensure they do a proper replacement this wk!

Anyway, I think my cove lighting/ceiling price abit on the high side, altogther cost us $2,300. But it's inclusive of labour + t5 lights + down lights. My fiance is a fan of lights, so didn't mind spending abit more. If you want can pass you the contacts privately. :D

hey Et209!

talk about the parquet flooring.. makes me wanto jump! :curse: the next few days after I uploaded the parquet flooring pics, the wooden planks started to warp. Contractor says cement flooring not dry enough, moisture caused wooden planks to warp. will be posting pics of the damage soon.. gonna ensure they do a proper replacement this wk!

Anyway, I think my cove lighting/ceiling price abit on the high side, altogther cost us $2,300. But it's inclusive of labour + t5 lights + down lights. My fiance is a fan of lights, so didn't mind spending abit more. If you want can pass you the contacts privately. :D

Hi nettz, sorry to hear about your flooring. Hope they managed to rectify the issue. Flooring can be a big headache!

Yes! Please pm me your contact! Would love to do it in the future so I am gathering information now. Thanks!