Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
snowflakes

Is A Budget Of 6K Able To Achieve The Following?

Dear folks, need your kind advise on the following.

I am living with my parents in a 3room flat, that has never been renovated before(renovation done to toilet and bathroom during upgrading in 1998).

Our flat is very old and has never been renovated before, and is still in its very original state since the 70s. It was covered with vinyl or rubber tiles (those that you can peel off) only. The kitchen has no floor tiles at all.

All furnitures in the kitchen are movable, except 1 very old cabinet attached to wall.

Last year, we made some improvements to the living room floor and my room through ownself diy.

To make living conditions better, my brother and i are thinking to renovate at a minimal cost of about 5-6K.

We are intending to look for contractors only due to the tight budget, wonder with that budget is it possible to achieve the following?

We are intending to do the following

- lay cheap homogeneous tiles in living room and 1 bedroom (will there be hacking required since there is no tile, the current rubber tiles can be peeled off easily)

- lay tiles for kitchen (dont know what type but those commonly for kitchen will do)

- build a 3-4feet kitchen cabinet (top and bottom) at left side of kitchen, complete with a hod n hood for cooking, the thing which sucks oil (dont know what its called), and a sink.

- a sliding door between kitchen and living room

- kitchen tiles to cover the rest of the kitchen

- hacking of 1 kitchen cabinet

Is the budget able to do all these? I think its not enough right?To what extent can we do if the above budget?

And also can you advise which material is cheapest for tile, cabinet etc?

your advise is very much appreciated. =)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I am living with my parents in a 3room flat, that has never been renovated before(renovation done to toilet and bathroom during upgrading in 1998).

Our flat is very old and has never been renovated before, and is still in its very original state since the 70s. It was covered with vinyl or rubber tiles (those that you can peel off) only. The kitchen has no floor tiles at all.

All furnitures in the kitchen are movable, except 1 very old cabinet attached to wall.

Last year, we made some improvements to the living room floor and my room through ownself diy.

To make living conditions better, my brother and i are thinking to renovate at a minimal cost of about 5-6K.

We are intending to look for contractors only due to the tight budget, wonder with that budget is it possible to achieve the following?

- lay cheap homogeneous tiles in living room and 1 bedroom (will there be hacking required since there is no tile, the current rubber tiles can be peeled off easily)

- lay tiles for kitchen (dont know what type but those commonly for kitchen will do)

- build a 3-4feet kitchen cabinet (top and bottom) at left side of kitchen, complete with a hod n hood for cooking, the thing which sucks oil (dont know what its called), and a sink.

Is the budget able to do all these? I think its not enough right?To what extent can we do if the above budget?

I think $6k is about there based on your scope of works.

Tiles have cheap ones at less than $3psf *tiles only. (lets say its about $2000-2500 for the entire area you plan to tile).

Kitchen cabinet top and bottom if 4 feet each means a total of 8 feet. This is the most expensive item in your list. ($1500-$2500 including equipment)

hacking and disposing of debris is about $300-500, but it should be a one time charge for your entire job scope.

Sliding door shouldn't cost that much if its simple design and material. Maybe $300-400? A bifold PVC door for the toilet is about $180-$200 incl installation.

Throw in some bargaining and expectation management, $6k is achievable.

Edited by xuanenle

Hi Xuanenle,

Thank you for your reply. I certainly hope that i can renovate within that budget.

Tiles have cheap ones at less than $3psf *tiles only. (lets say its about $2000-2500 for the entire area you plan to tile).

Kitchen cabinet top and bottom if 4 feet each means a total of 8 feet. This is the most expensive item in your list. ($1500-$2500 including equipment)

hacking and disposing of debris is about $300-500, but it should be a one time charge for your entire job scope.

Sliding door shouldn't cost that much if its simple design and material. Maybe $300-400? A bifold PVC door for the toilet is about $180-$200 incl installation.

Hope that i can get more opinions on whether my budget 6K will be able to achieve following?

- build a 3-4feet kitchen cabinet (top and bottom) at left side of kitchen, complete with a hod n hood for cooking, the thing which sucks oil (dont know what its called), and a sink. more questions below

- wall tiles to cover the rest of the kitchen

And also im rather confused with the part on my kitchen.. pls take a look my parent's super old kitchen (i am still living with my parent, feel like im living in kampong :bangwall: ) pictures>>

dsc02732smaller.jpg

another view with dimensions

dsc02767smaller.jpg

here comes my very big question. As you can see there are lots of pipes. I feel a 3-4feet kitchen cabinet is enough for cooking, however there are lots of pipes in the middle. So how can i plan the kitchen cabinet, so that its most cost efficient and look nice?? Does the contractor help to plan on such?

Can i put frige, followed by washing machine at start of entrance, then after that (the point where the first pipe start) build the kitchen cabinet all the way to the rubbish chute there? If like that, it be about 8-9feet top&bottom cabinet, how much will it cost roughly?

And also normally for kitchen cabinet, how much does it cost per feet (top & bottom)?

Does anyone have cheap and good lobang for cabinet?Someone that you ever used before, can pm me? (Pls do not self-advertise sorry)

Its not a brought flat. Im still staying with my parents, its my parent's super old flat. Never renovated since the 70s! :bangwall:

Any advise on what i have posted, anyone? Looking forward to more replies on what i have asked. :help:

what I can say is your costs of flooring (tiles + labor) already account for exceed your budget liao. my guess is no one will be able to satisfy your requirements. postpone your reno, save up more, 15k will at least see some color/design change.

Edited by neubie

Hi snowflakes, u can consider cement screed ur kitchen wall to save cost... Now it is also quite popular to do that... U may wan to move ur cabinet closer to sink area and place ur refri near the entrance... If u need more ideas can pm me... I can give u few suggestions ;)

Hi snowflakes, u can consider cement screed ur kitchen wall to save cost... Now it is also quite popular to do that... U may wan to move ur cabinet closer to sink area and place ur refri near the entrance... If u need more ideas can pm me... I can give u few suggestions ;)

Pls do yr homework b4 advising. Tile prices at tiles shops does NOT include the labour cost.

And with present smooth cement screeding flooring, how is it possible for the tiles to grip on it? put super glue?

To thread starter, sorry to tell u that 6k basically can do nothing. If it can do so much, then there will be alot of idiots, including me to pay 20-30k and above to do our renovations. No offence.

Have a look at some of the T-Blogs and see if you can get some recommendations for contractors from there.

For 6K I would look at a package for just the kitchen and then do the rest later.

Remember to make sure any package includes sink and taps, lighting points, light switches and electrical wall sockets, cooker and extractor (the fan thing above the cooker to filter the smoke from cooking).

Call around and see what people quote. Problem with asking here is that most people do a big reno and so get cheaper prices that they would for just a one room reno.

Good luck, sounds like a good plan you have to help your parents and family.

RB