Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
GetFuzzy

Need Advice On Kitchen Counter Top Material To Use

Hi all!

I am renovating my resale flat kitchen and am having a hard time deciding what material to use for kitchen countertop. Granite, compressed quartz, solid surface, laminates, so many choices! What do you use and do you think it is good???

My contractor recommended granite and said solid surfaces are no good (scratch/ stain easily) but I thought I should hear some real life advice from you guys here who actually use a kitchen. I read in magazines that granite needs regular resealing? How often is regular and is it costly?

Grateful for any advice. =D

Get Fuzzzzzy

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all!

I am renovating my resale flat kitchen and am having a hard time deciding what material to use for kitchen countertop. Granite, compressed quartz, solid surface, laminates, so many choices! What do you use and do you think it is good???

My contractor recommended granite and said solid surfaces are no good (scratch/ stain easily) but I thought I should hear some real life advice from you guys here who actually use a kitchen. I read in magazines that granite needs regular resealing? How often is regular and is it costly?

Grateful for any advice. =D

Get Fuzzzzzy

Well, i would recommend using the solid top, as this top does not have any joints, having joints like marble, granite and laminated wood, the problem would be that you will have to always check if the gaps are sealed, and have to reapply the seal once it is worn out. If water starts to leak into the wood below, you will have a mold problem and worse case the wood below will rot and have to be replaced.

For the solid top, yes, scratches do occur, but you can re polish it if it gets really bad (5 years later).

Hope this helps...