Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ciligaz

Paint Over Wood Surface

Any advise on painting over wood surface (eg. plywood) etc ?

Can I just use the normal paint used for walls or need special paint ?

Need any surface preparation or I can just paint over it ?

Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

sanding and cleaning the surface as well as the edge is a must. the paint itself doesnt matter that much.

painting with a roller will be better as compared to by a brush. apply a layer of gloss or another layer of paint after the initial layer completely dry will give the wood a better finish

I tried painting the edge of the plywood. Used nippon wood paint, and painted 3 layers over a period of 1 week, result not what i had hoped for. See photo below (the 2nd photo), the edge is patchy, the wood edge somehow absorb the paint :( in the end give up and finally found the edging strip to cover it.

edgestrip01.jpg

can refer to my thread for details - http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42861

I tried painting the edge of the plywood. Used nippon wood paint, and painted 3 layers over a period of 1 week, result not what i had hoped for. See photo below (the 2nd photo), the edge is patchy, the wood edge somehow absorb the paint :( in the end give up and finally found the edging strip to cover it.

edgestrip01.jpg

can refer to my thread for details - http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42861

huh, painting can hide the plywood layered design leh. U gotta prime it. Painting looks way better than that strip in my opinion.

Thanks

Unless you are not expecting a good smooth and lasting finishing, whatever treatment done on plywood and whatever brand of paint and primer you use,

it's a waste of your effort. The plywood just keep on absorbing the liquid, you will see a lots of grains appearing.

Thanks

A light sanding of the surface, and any paint for wood is ok.

For edges, you will need to smooth out with filler and than sanded, before painting.