Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
swiper

Mr16 (10W Led) For Whole House

How abt the Philips GU10 7w? I have gotten 40D beam angle, ok or not? we chose the GU10 coz no need external transformer, dont know its the correct thinking or not, its kind of too late to back out coz we hv gotten holders compatible with the GU10, though too late to do anything but still good to know what i am getting into.

I am wondering if Track lighting (how many bulbs needed?) is able to light up rooms of 3.5x2.7m and 3x2.5m? this is driving me nuts, as these 2 rooms are kids room, cannot be too dim, so its either LED track lighting or L Box recess lighting

LED is still v new, think we just took the plunge and be using it (track lighting), but to play safe, we including cove lighting too. leep my fingers crossed

Led driver with MR16 will be better choice.

Logic thinking:

if you buy something 2 in 1 is better or standalone?

If i will buying i will buy seperate due to anyone spoil i just change either driver or LED lo.

If GU10, you will not know which one spoiled.

Since you bought it, don't regret.

If you go Ikea, Track light comes with 5 bulb type.

And make a good choice by keeping your cove lighting.

Track lighting & cove lighting give ambience and most important if your child need to study, please buy a table lamp for him/her. Thank you.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

MR16 LED bulb is actually not that expensive.

Those I saw range from S$16 to S$25.

S$16 range is for those without the LED driver (transformer).

With driver integrated into the bulb, it cost a few dollars more.

With dimmable function, the bulb will be additional few dollar more.

I have the 10W MR16 and you will need a dimmer for that because they are so **** bright! Our kitchen has 2 groups of 4 10W lights and the dimmer is normally at about 50% and that is more then enough.

For our living room we have two track lights pointed at the wall, the white Philips track light with 2 spots, and they are also very bright.

The hall to the bedrooms has 3 2.5W MR16 and if you ask me that is already a lot of light....

If you want to have dimmable light make sure that you test you configuration. I have done a lot of testing and found that what is supposed to work doesn't always work.

Sometimes you can dim 1 GU7 very well but 3 doesn't work... A dimmer can dim a MR16 but makes a GU7 blink.... etc etc..

We now use some very very expensive dimmer for the MR16 10W and Ledino lights. If you want I can give you the details...

Best to PM me as I don't check here very often as my reno is finished!

Oh, I can feel for you with your kids. We had one before we started the reno and half way a second joined us, so going shopping for lights with small kids is no fun...

Led driver with MR16 will be better choice.

Logic thinking:

if you buy something 2 in 1 is better or standalone?

If i will buying i will buy seperate due to anyone spoil i just change either driver or LED lo.

If GU10, you will not know which one spoiled.

Since you bought it, don't regret.

If you go Ikea, Track light comes with 5 bulb type.

And make a good choice by keeping your cove lighting.

Track lighting & cove lighting give ambience and most important if your child need to study, please buy a table lamp for him/her. Thank you.

hi terrygerrad

thank you for ur inputs, the "2in1 v stand alone" has been haunting me for weeks b4 i made the choice, it did not help when all my hb said was "y need to think so long, anything la"... i made my choice by comparing the costs, its $39 (2 in 1) v $60 (stand alone), so i took the 2 in 1 purely coz they r cheaper lol. tell myself dont look back, otherwise its pointless torture.

Thanks again for all the info you have given me :)...n ooh yes, we'll surely get lamps for the kids, dont want them end up with thick glasses heh

Edited by porcupine12trade

hi terrygerrad

thank you for ur inputs, the "2in1 v stand alone" has been haunting me for weeks b4 i made the choice, it did not help when all my hb said was "y need to think so long, anything la"... i made my choice by comparing the costs, its $39 (2 in 1) v $60 (stand alone), so i took the 2 in 1 purely coz they r cheaper lol. tell myself dont look back, otherwise its pointless torture.

Thanks again for all the info you have given me :)...n ooh yes, we'll surely get lamps for the kids, dont want them end up with thick glasses heh

If i were you i will took 2 in 1 too. bcos is cost saving too.

Yr hb say that bcos guys everything must be quick and girls consider alot of factors.

therefore god create male and female mah. haha.

Since you bought it, dun bother what pple comment. eventually you are the one staying inside the house.

Cheers.

If i'm having cove (4 X 4ft T5 warm white) covering 1 side of the ceiling for all my bedrooms (say 3M X 3M size), will that be too dimm?

Terrygerrad

Thanks for your inputs, feel better after reading

Swiper

My Sis bedroom has a cove light on 1 side of room (longer side) abt 4M, I find the lighting good. Not the v bright kind u get from hamburger light, but nice and enough (for us) for general lighting.

Forget to add. It's like light reflected using ceiling and not the bright kind shining down. I find ok but different people have diff perception of brightness. I'm g cove light using full ht cabinet in my mbr on the longer side of the room, but I'm adding led track lights on opp side.

I'll be using LED bar (for cove) for all bedrooms (width around 2.5-3m) and have headboard cove (same width) so I think should be sufficient. If still not bright enough, i'll add those stand or table lamp.

hi terrygerrad

imagine this scenario: a few years down the road, one of the integrated light failed. Unfortunately this model is alreay discontinued. Are you going to install an odd looking new light that is different from the rest or replace everything?

Standalone component allows you to maintain consistency in the outlook of your interior and choose the best LED driver, fixture and light source. Of course, nothing is perfect. You just have to weigh the benefits.

Hi, sorry to dig up this old post.

But can anyone who used track led light post some picture?

i would really like to know how the overall look like, and how 'bright' it is without any other source of downlight / covelight.

For the benefit of reader, i've check out those LED track light at malaysia, and they are way way cost friendly, but one thing is that its not philips brand.

quoted at 55rm (per holder + 3w bulb), 1m track 28rm.

add 5rm to upgrade to 4w bulb.

saw some 7/9/11w bulb with holder as well, about 70-110rm.

I think the fastest way to source for LED is to do your market reseach by doing a google seacrh. Ask the shops all the questions you need, and then go down and view the products. This will help save precious time and energy