Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
calliecats

My Dream Home - 4 Room In The Central Area

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi calliecats,

I love glossy things too...if im remember correctly at Hafary i did see something this is shinny :)

Imagine whole house flooring that shines with down lights~ :) Is so elegant

Any lining inside the black homo tiles? as i could see some lines inside the tiles...crack?

Thanks for all the encouragement! I know some people will never use black. I just think it's cool & chic. Now I'm deciding on the grout colour to be used. Many people don't think much about the grout colours after choosing the tiles but I've discovered that it makes a great difference to the overall look. My contractor also shared with me that there are actually many many grout colours available (like rainbow colours, no kidding). I used to think that it was only available in black & white (haha). So now the possibilities are endless. The black tile for the bedrooms & the one for the living room are both 600x600mm. Counting down to hacking day!! :thumbs up:

Hi all, mid week already! I've gone for my tile selection (actually I had to go a few times before I could decide as there were so many choices!). Changed my mind a few times too. Decided to rip out the laminate flooring and replace the whole apt with tiles instead. For all the good things said about laminate flooring, I still prefere the squeky clean feel of tiles. So these are my final tile choices:

For Living Room/Dining Area & Bedrooms Floor(bedroom floor will be all black glossy)

LivingDiningBedroomTile.jpg

For Kitchen & common bathroom (the floor will be the same grey tile for both bathrooms & kitchen, the white "pop out" tile will be for the common bathroom walls)

KitchenCBathTiles.jpg

For master bath (the grey "horizontal" line tile is for the shower area only)

EnsuiteTiles.jpg.

My contractor is a fairly young guy but he is engineering & electrical trained so he was able to advise me on the viability & on the technical aspects of my design, which I'm totally clueless about. I will go crazy if I take on someone that just tells me "up to you, lor"-that would simply be unacceptable to me! My contractor was also able to give me a quote that (compared to other contractor quotes I got) is very reasonable :thumbs up: Upon his advise, I have also decided to incorporate mirrors in the living area & glass panels & doors to replace some walls that will be knocked down. He said that it will make the space look bigger & will give it a "manhattan apt look" (I like!!). He is patient even though I changed my mind a few times during the tile selection & accompanied me several times to change the order. Overall, I would say that I'm extremely comfortable with our working relationship up till now. Crossing my fingers that everything will go smoothly. Target to start hacking in 1 week's time. :dancingqueen:

Hi!

Can you share your contractor contact to me at starrypinky21@yahoo.com.sg?

Thanks!! =)

Hi all, sorry to all fellow forum users who have been following my blog for the long absence! Shortly after my reno, I was posted overseas by my company for a few months & have just returned. Thus the long hiatus. I'm back now and it looks like I've got alot of backdating to do :P Please be patient & I will retrace my reno journey here to share with you.

Here are some pics of the apt after the previous owner moved out:

Foyer Area/Kitchen Entrancevacantfoyer2.jpg

Living/Dining Areavacantliving.jpg

Entrance to the roomsvacantrooms1.jpg

Master & Bedroom 2 (the wall in between would be hacked)

room4.jpg

Inside the roomsroom3.jpg

room2.jpg

Kitchen

kitchenvacant.jpg

Bathrooms

toilet1.jpg

Both bathrooms were original HDB style. Both would be drastically transformed by my contractor & would spot 2 totally different looks! Watch this space :notti:

Good morning! As promised, here are the hacking pics. To make it easier for everyone to follow, I will be posting the pics in the order of the reno progression. As I was quite busy with work during the reno process, most of these pics were taken by my contractor & emailed to me every other day to keep me abreast of the progress. I was very pleased with my contractor for even thinking of doing this small thing for me!! 2 Thumbs up for service & customer satisfaction :good::good:

In hindsight, I now understand why my contractor was so detailed about everything even before we started. He even went down to the smallest details so that he could get my opinion & preferences. Initially, I found it puzzling why he asked my views on all the small things but I went along with it. Later, he told me that it would be frustrating to many people if the contractor gave them some general quotation & then in the middle of the reno added all the additionals, which means extra $$ by the owners. I have heard of some friends whose reno bills blew up an extra 30%-50% from the original quotation. This also made many of their working relationships with their ID/contractor tense & unhappy. Being new to reno & not in the business of construction, sometimes as owners we do not even know when looking at the quote whether there are missing things or not. I appreciated his honesty & I was able to keep very near to the original quotation with only some small changes & no major hidden cost(I can say this on hindsight because my reno is over already). So I thank my lucky stars.

Living Room

2011-07-04180128.jpg

2011-07-04180658.jpg

Kitchen

Before hacking down kitchen wall

2011-07-04180249.jpg

After hacking kitchen wall

2011-07-05162655.jpg

Edited by calliecats

You must have been waiting very long for this renovation to happen. Seeing that the first post you posted was in August 2011. Must be quite anxious. Congrats!

Hi ayazumi,

My reno was actually completed 1st week of Nov 2011, took 6-7 weeks from hacking to completion. Then, could not enjoy it as my company sent me overseas shortly after that :furious:

Window grilles all removed (I'm not going to have any grilles):

2011-07-04180608.jpg

Master Bathroom before hacking down the walls (I will be having an all glass master bathroom, so all walls down):

2011-07-04181054.jpg

Master Bathroom after all walls hacked:

2011-07-05162817.jpg

Wall between Master bedroom & bedroom 2 down, to merge into 1 big master bedroom with walk in wardrobe:

2011-07-05162959.jpg

To open up the apt further, I made a decision to hack the top half of the wall between living & master bedroom & replace it with glass & blind:

2011-07-05162725.jpg

Hi May_dream, yes, indeed! I toyed with the idea & then with my contractor's encouragement, I went ahead. Loved it ever since :D

show pic lah.... i want to see....