Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

The Story Of My "tree" Musketeers

Wow, eden! I'm blown away by your detailed updating of your cute lil ones!

Love the colors! Don't they just add more color to your life? :P

Hi buddy,

thanks for paying me such a huge, beautiful compliment! :D and finding the time to pop by when u're at your busiest with ongoing reno :P

Yes, these plants had such a strong therapeutic effect on us owners. And we were grateful that such a small scale gardening could bring us such great joy & happiness...

Still trying to find time to do up the thread... many many more photos to get uploaded. :paint:

Edited by edenstrauss

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The thread is looking good! You really have green fingers :good:

Hi buddy,

thank you so much for praising me & my plants! :D

I think I'll be uploading the rest of the photographs by installments... :P

BB, ginger plants are "die hard" type, but need porous soil, but mixed with coarse sand/coconut pit/charcol pieces. The underground stem which is the "food", grows very fast. To have nice flower color, use N-P(45%)-K solution.

Now is mid "autumn", most plants like to "sleep" and keep energy for the next "spring", so don't water much, nor put fertiliser......

Repot when only the root get conjested, now is now the right timing, they want to "sleep". Let them "sleep" first till abt mid feb when they as if a hungry baby longing for milk.

BB, ginger plants are "die hard" type, but need porous soil, but mixed with coarse sand/coconut pit/charcol pieces. The underground stem which is the "food", grows very fast. To have nice flower color, use N-P(45%)-K solution.

Now is mid "autumn", most plants like to "sleep" and keep energy for the next "spring", so don't water much, nor put fertiliser......

Repot when only the root get conjested, now is now the right timing, they want to "sleep". Let them "sleep" first till abt mid feb when they as if a hungry baby longing for milk.

What is N-P(45%)-K solution? :unsure: I've never seen this before.

I still use liquid fertiliser & it seems like they are growing well with new shoots.

How do I know if their roots are congested?

What is N-P(45%)-K solution? :unsure: I've never seen this before.

I still use liquid fertiliser & it seems like they are growing well with new shoots.

How do I know if their roots are congested?

N= Nitrogen

P= Phosphorus

K= Potassium

They are sold in "salt form" within Can. Need to dissolve the salt in water, then watering the plant. Those hydroponics methods are actually using this solution which either forced to flow through or sprayed onto the roots of plants.....

These 3 elements need by all plants, they come in different % for different purposes (green leave, flowering, etc etc)

The next few posts would feature the latest photographs of my group of plants that were related to the Ginger family.

And I sincerely hope that it's a great feast for any reader's eyes like how they were for mine. :D

A newbie absorbing sunlight for photosynthesis:

6298158737_9e51e6f6dc.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

These photographs were taken on 2nd November 2011 in the late afternoon when there is minimal sunlight:

A generous spray of 4 flower buds being pushed out of the red "scales" of the corn-like flower heads...

6314484295_2ce320fccb_z.jpg

6314984846_902f05ae92_z.jpg

The photograph above features a generous spray of flower buds in bloom. However, I did notice that the flower buds wouldn't last if there is an over-watering of plants or when the soil is extremely wet every day.

As such, I would gauge the amount of water to be used to water the plants based on the texture of the soil. If the soil looks very dry, I would pour in a generous amount of water. Should the soil texture come across as damp, say, after it gets its supply of rain water, I might jux use half the usual amount of water for watering the plants.

Edited by edenstrauss

N= Nitrogen

P= Phosphorus

K= Potassium

They are sold in "salt form" within Can. Need to dissolve the salt in water, then watering the plant. Those hydroponics methods are actually using this solution which either forced to flow through or sprayed onto the roots of plants.....

These 3 elements need by all plants, they come in different % for different purposes (green leave, flowering, etc etc)

I think I know which type of fertiliser you are referring to becox some of my neighbours used them. One of the uncles had didn't dilute his "salt" mix with sufficient water and the fertiliser caused burnt marks on some of his plants.

But I'm not sure if I should be switching to another fertiliser since my plants are doing well by the current types of fertiliser. Not sure what is the outcome following such changes... :unsure:

Currently, I'm using flower food that came in the form of a plastic bottle of red liquid as shown below:

6447068181_0438f2ab6c.jpg

It's 10 drops to 1 litre of water. However, I would usually double the quantity of fertiliser.

My hubby had applied the fertiliser to my brother inlaw's pomegranate plant & what surprised us was the plant started bearing fruits after being infertile for almost 5 years.

6315305004_92d69b6b9c.jpg

There's another type of organic fertiliser which does wonder to all my plants but I had difficulties using it recently when the roots of my Ginger plants had been making its way to the soil surface of my pot. I reckon that I wouldn't be able to start using this grayish-coloured pellet form of organic fertiliser until I repot my plants.

6447068199_4ab2977871.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

Morning Dew on plants ...

Of late, I noticed that there were dew drops on a newly grown Ginger plant. And this phenomenon would take place in the early hours of the morning.

I couldn't help but relate that to kung fu or chinese fairy tale novels. The heros or heroines would embark on a tough journey of collecting morning dew for making some formidable medication to boost their martial arts; or for the romantics, to treat their loved ones or bring them back to life. :P

Morning dew drops being caught on the camera:

6315305010_e87fb82d75_z.jpg

6315305038_037609efc0.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

This looks like an upside-down leaf insect with eyes that are far-apart. :lol:

Nice photos there, eden! ;)

upside down leaf insect : hey what's that? haven't seen it before. :unsure: does it bite at all? that's apart from leaves...

If I could find the time, I'll like to start off another thread on the nature aspect of Pasir Ris park. My hubby had assisted me in taking many pretty photos of the animals, flowers & plants found right there...