Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

An Audiophile's Mid Century Home

Hi Petetherock,

I have been following your blog/posts across several forums (here, xtremeplace, hwz) as your write up is always clear (even to a noob like me) and you are always so ready to share info! Kudos to your patience and willingness to do that. I chose to write to you here even though you are not so active here because of the relevance of my asking for help.

I have all along been a home theatre in a box guy since my first home. For my new home, I am still half thinking about going to the bright side (the missus will say its going to the dark side) by getting a proper HT system. That is why, I take your idea of setting the area up for future decision to get one. (took note on your recommendation to have double the power points at console, moveable rack etc.) Let me provide some details before I ask questions on how to do the reno right for potential future upgrade and future proof as much as I can:

1. I don’t have the luxury of setting aside an entertainment room so its in an almost squarish hall 3.2m x 3.3m area that I demarcate beside my dining area. There are no walls on the sides as it’s the dining table on the right and balcony on the left. I also don’t have much choice except to push the sofa all the way back to the wall (I know for an audiophile like you, it’s a big no no). I will also likely wall mount the speakers.

2. My budget is $5-6k. I read what you have proportion about 25% for amp and 35% for speakers etc. so that is the basis. my preference is almost 70% movies and 30% music (music being the likes of pop (Ed Sheran, Pink etc.) and soft rock (U2, Bon Jovi etc.)

3. I hope to have a 5.1.4 channel surround. Not sure if its possible.

I have 2 questions on the reno first:

1. For the reno, my flooring is already done so I can only run the wires through the ceiling to conceal it (previously always hide under carpet so no experience). I will take your suggestion to cater 20% extra wiring. However, what kind of wiring should I get? You have intro LHS in SLS. Where can I buy the wall socket for plugging the cables on the wall for the rear speakers? Also, what kind of cables to use from the wall socket to the rear speakers?

2. There were a few contactors you recommended for installation of sound system. For a simple setup like mine, there isnt a need to engage them or is there? Any rough idea how much would one cost? frankly, i dont mind paying a little if i can have an impartial advice, places to go and buy and hang around to check out the actual work when the electrician is around to install.

I will be getting an ID.

As for the decision to get a proper HT, what would you recommend with the $5-6k budget considering my room condition, usage proportion and restrictive furniture arrangement?

Thanking you in advance.

cheers

Edited by Navydiver

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Petetherock,

I have been following your blog/posts across several forums (here, xtremeplace, hwz) as your write up is always clear (even to a noob like me) and you are always so ready to share info! Kudos to your patience and willingness to do that. I chose to write to you here even though you are not so active here because of the relevance of my asking for help.

I have all along been a home theatre in a box guy since my first home. For my new home, I am still half thinking about going to the bright side (the missus will say its going to the dark side) by getting a proper HT system. That is why, I take your idea of setting the area up for future decision to get one. (took note on your recommendation to have double the power points at console, moveable rack etc.) Let me provide some details before I ask questions on how to do the reno right for potential future upgrade and future proof as much as I can:

1. I don’t have the luxury of setting aside an entertainment room so its in an almost squarish hall 3.2m x 3.3m area that I demarcate beside my dining area. There are no walls on the sides as it’s the dining table on the right and balcony on the left. I also don’t have much choice except to push the sofa all the way back to the wall (I know for an audiophile like you, it’s a big no no). I will also likely wall mount the speakers.

2. My budget is $5-6k. I read what you have proportion about 25% for amp and 35% for speakers etc. so that is the basis. my preference is almost 70% movies and 30% music (music being the likes of pop (Ed Sheran, Pink etc.) and soft rock (U2, Bon Jovi etc.)

3. I hope to have a 5.1.4 channel surround. Not sure if its possible.

I have 2 questions on the reno first:

1. For the reno, my flooring is already done so I can only run the wires through the ceiling to conceal it (previously always hide under carpet so no experience). I will take your suggestion to cater 20% extra wiring. However, what kind of wiring should I get? You have intro LHS in SLS. Where can I buy the wall socket for plugging the cables on the wall for the rear speakers? Also, what kind of cables to use from the wall socket to the rear speakers?

2. There were a few contactors you recommended for installation of sound system. For a simple setup like mine, there isnt a need to engage them or is there? Any rough idea how much would one cost? frankly, i dont mind paying a little if i can have an impartial advice, places to go and buy and hang around to check out the actual work when the electrician is around to install.

I will be getting an ID.

As for the decision to get a proper HT, what would you recommend with the $5-6k budget considering my room condition, usage proportion and restrictive furniture arrangement?

Thanking you in advance.

cheers

I think he monitors his XP more often. U might want to pm him in XP