Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
surfcast

Professional Engineer Required For Wall Hacking

Hi all, its my first post in the forum after being introduced to this site by my coursemate.

Will be getting the keys to my new home soon n have been busy looking out for id/contractors. Went thru the floorplan n after deciding on the layout with Mrs, we decided to hack a wall.

Upon checking HDB guidelines on renovation, was informed on the need to get PE endorsement for the job.

Anyone here have got contacts? Sorry if this question have been asked before. Tried looking for threads on PE but none got me enlightened.

Thank you for reading thru n sharing.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

When your contractor/ID apply for renovation permit from HDB, he will need to submit for hacking approval, if HDB find a particular wall in between can hack and cannot hack, PE will be notify, the renovation permit will be charge many times more. Usually before they notify the PE, they will try to talk you out. If you die die still want to hack away that wall, they will call in the PE to evaluate the situation.

A word of caution, if anyone forcefully hack away the wall labelled with solid black line on your floor plan, it will de-valued your flat, every units in the flat will be affected, emergency repair will take place and the owner and his contractors will be fine beyond your imagination.

Edited by albertchng

Anyway, before we go off topic, anyone willing to share PE contacts? Most id/contractors we visited quoted between $500 to $1K for the PE endorsement itself. Very expensive.

Anyway, before we go off topic, anyone willing to share PE contacts? Most id/contractors we visited quoted between $500 to $1K for the PE endorsement itself. Very expensive.

You cannot directly contact PE; must go through HDB.

They are not your personal consultant.

I thought it's never possible to hack walls with the bold black lines in the floorplan?

I have came across owner hiring non HDB approved contractor and die die hack away a part of the wall with solid black line. HDB was alerted due to hacking vibration was felt throughout every units from the same column and crack formed on wall immediately during the hacking, overnight emergency repair was performed. That the reason why it is better to hire renovation contractor that is HDB approved.

Wow, those ppl u come across must either be living in private property in their previous life or have low IQ. Anyway, thank you for your kind advice. Yup, I will definitely engage a HDB approved contractor for my unit's reno works.

You cannot directly contact PE; must go through HDB.

They are not your personal consultant.

Are you sure on this, Sir Albert Chng?

Hmm, let me make some calls to verify. Hopefully can clear doubts of all the good people of this forum. Till then, have a great weekend to all. Cheers!!!

Hi all, called HDB after lunchtime and got the facts for the whole process. 1)Let your contractor/id know which wall u want to hack off. They will apply the renovation permit to HDB. 2)HDB will then reply if there is a need for PE endorsement or not. 3)If need, u can get your contractor/id to source for u, which of course they will mark up the price for the endorsement otherwise source out for your own PE.

Like I posted earlier, contractor/id will usually charge between $500 to $1000 for PE. If u source out on your own, u can get as low as $300. But u need to liase n hope the PE can work hand in hand with your contractor/id

Edited by surfcast

The abovementioned information was given to me by HDB officer. Didn't catch her name thou.

For PE contacts, u can try google for more information. Got a list of them and they are certified by the authorities.

Mine was quoted $300 to hack off a L shaped wall. Now hoping my contractor willing to work with him.