Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
romeltic

Sweet And Minimalist Home@bp

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My aircon piping seens done very badly. And will likely need to be redo. But i received feedback that to do the repiping may not be worth it and it may be better to simply buy new aircon instead.

Will appreciate any advise on this also:

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

I read through your quote. You are doing quite a fair bit of things for your reno. The quotation is okay. I see some things can negotiate, but then no point argue items that cost less than $100. As long to spell your requirements clearly, it is okay. For example: $80 installation for shower set - does this mean rainshower also consider shower set? Need to ask clearly. Try negotiate to $4 psf floor tiles. You will have more tile choices to choose from.

I didn't really match item by item from the contractor and ID quote as per your post. But looking at the ID quote, the value of the tile psf is reduced to 2.50-2.80 psf. You will have very very limited choices of tiles to choose. You will end up choosing the colors which you don't really like, but no choice, you need to stick to $2.80 psf unless you want to top up the difference. This will end up increase additional costs to your renovation. Compared with the contractor's quote, he quoted you $3.80 psf, which you can or cannot negotiate to $4 psf. Actually, $3.80 psf tiles have more designs than $3.20 below. Whoever quote you $3, you can tell them to go away. Normally the tiles prices are $2.50, $2.80, $3.20, $3.80, $4 and so on. There is no $3 or maybe 1-2 tiles which is $3 psf.

And you also added false ceiling in the ID quote, naturally, ID quote will be more expensive than the contractor because under the contractor quote, you asked for L-box, not false ceiling. You can't compare an apple to an orange.

Hi

I am doing my renovation now too. Went to the tile shops to pick my tiles.

I would suggest that you make a trip down to the tile shops (Hafary, etc)and look at the tiles with the prices indicated. If you are comfortable with the quality of tiles (especially for the living room) with the prices indicated, it should be okay. But frankly, if you compare those $3.20 to those $4.20-$4.80 tiles, there is quite a world of difference.

In my opinion, the difference in tile prices for your living room is not a lot out of the whole renovation budget. With a difference of $1, you will only add about $900 to your overall renovation cost. But this gives you those beautiful tiles which you will find your house a lot nicer. For budget purposes, you may only need to limit this to your living room. There are those shinning and nice tiles (likely in the $4.20-4.80 range) that gives people the feeling that it is marble instead of homogenous tile.

Normally, you can use this as a bargaining tool to up the tile selection price to $4.50 only for the living room BEFORE you confirm with your renovation ID. They will likely to agree to it without much issue.

Go and take a look at the tile shop and you will know what I mean.

Good luck.

Hi, actually there are some things which the Id added but we are also not sure what is it do in the process of clarifying with him. Ok maybe can add on more queries to him.

Thanks for the suggestions ayazumi. You have been really helpful

I read through your quote. You are doing quite a fair bit of things for your reno. The quotation is okay. I see some things can negotiate, but then no point argue items that cost less than $100. As long to spell your requirements clearly, it is okay. For example: $80 installation for shower set - does this mean rainshower also consider shower set? Need to ask clearly. Try negotiate to $4 psf floor tiles. You will have more tile choices to choose from.

Wow that is some great advise, any other things we can bargain for before signing up with the id/contractor?

Hi

I am doing my renovation now too. Went to the tile shops to pick my tiles.

I would suggest that you make a trip down to the tile shops (Hafary, etc)and look at the tiles with the prices indicated. If you are comfortable with the quality of tiles (especially for the living room) with the prices indicated, it should be okay. But frankly, if you compare those $3.20 to those $4.20-$4.80 tiles, there is quite a world of difference.

In my opinion, the difference in tile prices for your living room is not a lot out of the whole renovation budget. With a difference of $1, you will only add about $900 to your overall renovation cost. But this gives you those beautiful tiles which you will find your house a lot nicer. For budget purposes, you may only need to limit this to your living room. There are those shinning and nice tiles (likely in the $4.20-4.80 range) that gives people the feeling that it is marble instead of homogenous tile.

Normally, you can use this as a bargaining tool to up the tile selection price to $4.50 only for the living room BEFORE you confirm with your renovation ID. They will likely to agree to it without much issue.

Go and take a look at the tile shop and you will know what I mean.

Good luck.

Another thing is that you should also make it clear that Variation Order should be avoided as much as possible.

You can ask the ID to throw in some carpentry works FOC now (without really defining what they are, just say that some ideas may pop up and make the place nicer, eg some feature cabinets, etc, etc). In the course of the renovation, you may find that you may need some changes (some additional extra and some may not be needed). Use those free items to trade off to keep your budget unchanged.

As buyer, we are not in the same line as the ID and thus will be as knowledgeable. It is very easy for us to be cornered. Thus, it is very important that we spelt out the VO issues right from the beginning, get a good feel/comfort about the ID, give and take a bit, be fair to the ID, and hope everything work out fine.

Good luck.

Wow you are really giving great advises. Do you have a Reno blog which I can look at? I am very curious about yor Reno process :)

Another thing is that you should also make it clear that Variation Order should be avoided as much as possible.

You can ask the ID to throw in some carpentry works FOC now (without really defining what they are, just say that some ideas may pop up and make the place nicer, eg some feature cabinets, etc, etc). In the course of the renovation, you may find that you may need some changes (some additional extra and some may not be needed). Use those free items to trade off to keep your budget unchanged.

As buyer, we are not in the same line as the ID and thus will be as knowledgeable. It is very easy for us to be cornered. Thus, it is very important that we spelt out the VO issues right from the beginning, get a good feel/comfort about the ID, give and take a bit, be fair to the ID, and hope everything work out fine.

Good luck.

LOL...too lazy to do a Reno Blog...

Anyway, this is my second (full tear down and re-renovate) renovation. Thus had spoken to many ID and just sharing some experience.

IMHO, the best way to find someone fair and both parties are fair to each other. We want to maximize the value of our money but they need to make a living too...

Wish you luck.

Just received some revised quotations after house viewing, Can anyone advise if this renovation quote is reasonable?

And also whether there are any hidden costs which we should look out for?

1) Professional design consultation F.O.C

2) Propose furniture layout plan F.O.C

3) Detail perspective drawings F.O.C

4) Materials & colour scheme proposal F.O.C

B) DEMOLITION WORKS :-

1 Hack off existing flooring and skirting @ living room ,dining room,store room and 3 bedrooms $950.00

2 To hack off exisitng wall tiles at kitchen $400.00

3 Hack off exisitng floor tiles at kitchen and service balcony $280.00

4 Hack off exisitng vanity sink and stove support at kitchen $80.00

5 To dismantle exisitng kitchen cabinet including 2 set of tall unit inbetween kitchen entrance and living room $280.00

6 Hack off exisitng wall tiles @ common bathroom $200.00

7 Hack off existing floor tiles tiles @ common bathroom $80.00

8 Dismantle existing sanitary @ common bathroom $40.00

9 Dismantle and hack off existing common bathroom door and frame $40.00

10 Hack off exisitng wall tiles @ master bathroom $200.00

11 Hack off existing floor tiles tiles @ master bathroom $80.00

12 Dismantle existing sanitary @ master bathroom $40.00

13 Dismantle and hack off existing master bathroom door and frame $40.00

14 To hack off exisitng vanity at master bathroom $40.00

15 To dismantle exisitng all cornices and false ceiling for whole house $350.00

16 Supply labour to uplift sand, cement & materials to unit. $750.00

17 Clearing off debris under whole renovation. $450.00

18 To dismantle exisitng wardrobe at bedroom 2 $160.00

19 To dismantle exisitng wardrobe at main bedroom $160.00

20 To dismantle exisitng recess in cabinets below window at bedroom 2 and bedroom 3 $220.00

21 To dismantle exisitng aluminum frame and hack off partial hollow block wall at balcony area $120.00

22 To hack off exisitng parquet flooring at balcony area $220.00

C) MASONRY WORKS :-

1 To top up exisitng balcony flooring using epf to level with living room flooring $180.00

2 To supply and lay 60cm X 60cm polished homogenous floor tiles for living room,balcony and 3 bedrooms including skirting (Tiles price up to $3.20psf)(Area-890 sqft) $5,950.00

3 To supply and lay ceramic /homogenous tiles for kitchen wall except those behind kitchen cabinet $2,350.00

4 To do water proofing for kitchen flooring and service balcony $280.00

5 To supply and lay unpolished homogenous floor tiles for kitchen and service balcony floor $1,350.00

6 To construct fridge base with tiles $100.00

7 To construct L shape cabinet base with side tiles $180.00

8 To construct washing machine base with tiles $100.00

9 Supply & lay full height ceramic/homogenous wall tiles @ common bathroom area. $1,350.00

10 Supply & lay homogeneous floor tiles @common bathroom area $400.00

11 To do water proofing for common bathroom floor $120.00

12 Supply & lay full height ceramic/homogenous wall tiles @ master bathroom area. $1,350.00

13 Supply & lay homogeneous floor tiles @ master bathroom area $400.00

14 To do water proofing for master bathroom floor $120.00

15 To construct shower drop/kerb for master bathroom shower area $100.00

(Note - tiles prices for kitchen and 2 toilets $3.00 to $3.20 psf)

For all waterproofing 3in 1 waterproofing screed and k11/104 will be use

F) PAINTING/PLASTERING/CORNICE WORKS:-

1 Supply & apply original ICI Dulux or Nippon paint to all internal walls & ceilings.(Max 7 colours) $1,200.00

2 Supply & apply ICI gloss paint to all water piping, gates, doors, door frames & sewage pipe. $180.00

3 To supply and install false ceiling L-box light holder at foyer and living room $850.00

4 To supply and construct full ht partition c/w opening inbetween bed and entrance at master room (L-900mm X Full ht) $280.00

5 Plastering for whole house wall and ceiling except those with wall tiles $1,950.00

6 Supply and box up exisitng upvc pipe at balcony using cornice board in paint finish $120.00

H) PLUMBING WORKS :-

1 Change whole unit cold water piping to new stainless steel pipe for whole house (Seprate bathroom) $680.00

2 Supply labour to install 2 set of basin & pedestal WC @ 2 bathroom. $340.00

3 Supply labour to install accessories @ 2 bathroom. $80.00

4 Supply labour to install 1 nos of storage water heater $110.00

5 Supply labour to install 2 nos of spray jets $50.00

6 To supply and install 1 nos of washing machine tap $35.00

7 Supply labour to connect and install kitchen sink and tap $85.00

8 To run 2 nos of hot pipping pt for 2 bathrooms shower area $200.00

9 To supply labour to install 2 set of shower sets for 2 bathrooms $80.00

I) MISCELLANEOUS:-

1 Supply & lay protection sheet. $160.00

2 Clean up whole unit with chemical. $220.00

J) Custom Made Built-in Furniture

Kitchen

1 To design and fabricate L-shape top and bottom kitchen cabinet finish in laminate c/w dish rack ,anti slam for swing doors and abs trimming for all doors (L-34 )(Length including 1 set of length -2ft x full ht tall unit ) $3,740.00

2 To supply and install single bullnose india granite work top for kitchen cabinet (L-13.5ft ) $1,350.00

Bedroom/Bathroom

1 To design and fabricate full ht built in wardrobe finish in laminate c/w sliding doors at master room (L-6ft X Full ht) $1,500.00

2 To design and fabricate storage cabinets finish in laminate for recess in area below window at bedroom 2 (L-8.5ft ) $1,190.00

3 To design and fabricate storage cabinets finish in laminate for recess in area below window at bedroom 3 (L-7ft ) $980.00

Aluminium,Glass,Timber,Wall covering & Wrought Iron Works

1 To supply and install aluminum powdered coated top hung pd doors for 2 bathrooms $660.00

2 To supply and install top hung pull out window above bi fold door at common bathroom $120.00

3 To supply and install 10mm thick tampered glass shower screen c/w swing door for master bathroom only (L-1500mm x Ht-1.8m ) $520.00

4 To dismantle exisitng window and fixed panel at balcony area $120.00

5 To supply and install new aluminum sliding windows c/w tinted glass for top and bottom at balcony area (L-11.5ft X Ht-7ft)(subjected to HDB approval ) $1,480.00

6 To supply labour and material to sand and revanish exisitng main door $120.00

7 To supply labour and material to sand and revanish exisitng 3 bedrooms doors $240.00

Electrical Works

1 To dismantle whole house wiring $120.00

2 4 nos of new 13A X 1single plug ($48 per pt) $192.00

3 10 nos of new 13A X 2 double plug ($58 per pt) $580.00

4 4 nos of new SCV pt ($110 per pt) $440.00

5 1 nos of new 15A X 1 air con pt $100.00

6 2 nos of new tel pt ($60 per pt ) $120.00

7 2 nos of new earth pt (For gas pipe and water pipe) $120.00

8 MCB main db box $350.00

9 23 nos of new lighting pt ($38 per pt ) $874.00

10 23 nos of installation of ceiling light ($10 per pt) $230.00

11 1 nos of door bell pt $35.00

12 Fix 1 nos of door bell (Labour only) $15.00

13 2 nos of 2 way switch $120.00

14 2 nos of water heater pt (2 way ) $200.00

15 1 nos of hood pt c/w on/off switch $65.00

16 1 nos of oven pt c/w on/off switch $65.00

Total Amount : $41,776.00

Hi mind to share with me the contractor who gave you this quote? I am also going to renovate my newly bought flat and I am sourcing for suitable contractors. Thanks in advance.