Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kirinshibori

Old New Flat On A Shoestring Budget

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I think advice on how to select the correct kitchen counter height has been beaten to death in this forum, but it doesn't hurt to have another picture to illustrate the idea. :)

pittari03-003.gif

The higher your ceiling, the taller your wall cabinet should be, else you'll probably need a ladder to even open the cabinet...

pittari03-005.gif

Ur kitchen picture reminds me abt how my hubby loves the stainless steel kitchen susyem, also from japan. How will you orgainize the area below your sink?

Ur kitchen picture reminds me abt how my hubby loves the stainless steel kitchen susyem, also from japan. How will you orgainize the area below your sink?

We wanted to do a waste sorting drawer like the Faktum/Rationell depicted below:

20123_kirs02a_hs01.jpg

However, we figured that it'll be kinda inconvenient when we wash and throw stuff into the bin with the drawer half open and us leaning over it to reach the sink. Therefore, we will be doing a normal casement cabinet, with the Simple Human waste bin fixed on the inside of the left cabinet door similar to this.

simplehuman-cabinet-trash-bin.jpg

This way, we can leave the door open with the bin accessible on our left while we prepare our food or wash our dishes (hopefully not so much of that since we have a dishwasher :P).

Wow Kirin, nice idea book you have going. Heres wishing you would be able to achieve all if not most of what you want. Working with a tight budget is indeed tough, but the sense of satisfaction you get at the end of the day is priceless.

Mind sharing with me where you got the Simple Human Waste Bin and how much you paid for it?

Cheers!

More pictures from my Idea book...

ji04.jpg

ji03.jpg

1318457439-sgh-013.jpg

This should be how the 玄関 or foyer is supposed to look. But we have a problem with achieving the look as the step up from the bare floor to the laminate floor is quite low. I've communicated all I can to the tiler and Evorich... hopefully the resultant effect would be acceptable.

1313180055-on029.jpg

Halo, I like the concepts you posted it is also something i look forward to but my layout does not allow so. So you bought the Arco lamp from the online grp buy?

Btw, what floor tiles you chosen?

For hardware, we decided to use Hettich Quadro V6 drawer runners and Hettich Sensys hinges. And again, this was where we sort of blew our budget as we have 11 drawers in the kitchen. I went to Kranji one too many times to get the hardware, but I think it'll be worth it. The shortlist for the self-closing with dampening hardware included Blum, Hettich, Hafele, Ikea and DTC. Using Blum as the benchmark, only Hettich exceeded in performance. In terms of price, Hettich drawer runners were priced similarly to Hafele; DTC is significantly cheaper but I can't vouch for its performance. That being said, I still bought 4 pairs of DTC for my bedroom wardrobe due to the low price.

We also bought a Simple Human grocery bag can with bag holder, to be fixed behind our sink cabinet door. I hope it'll be worth the cost!

simplehuman-cabinet-mount-grocery-bag-can3.jpg

We are also using Hettich Quadro V6 drawer runners and Hettich Sensys hinges for our kitchen cabinet (10 drawers; 6 big 4 small) and walk-in wardrobe (with 4 big drawers). There are 2 big 2 small inner drawers for the kitchen cabinet we are using Blum inner drawers with Blum cutlery tray and utensil dividers as the Hettich one is not nice. For top cabinet we will be using Blum lift-up system. In fact we planned to use Hettich Sensys hinges in all our custom-made furniture.

Btw, can i know where you bought the Simple Human grocery bag can with bag holder?

Mind sharing with me where you got the Simple Human Waste Bin and how much you paid for it?

Btw, can i know where you bought the Simple Human grocery bag can with bag holder?

I got the bin from Home-Fix at City Square Mall (Farrer Park MRT) B1. There was 10% store-wide discount, so I paid $62.90 for it. It's not the prettiest or cheapest bin around, but I think it's well designed; and since I hide it inside the cabinet most of the time, aesthetics can take a back seat.

I got the bin from Home-Fix at City Square Mall (Farrer Park MRT) B1. There was 10% store-wide discount, so I paid $62.90 for it. It's not the prettiest or cheapest bin around, but I think it's well designed; and since I hide it inside the cabinet most of the time, aesthetics can take a back seat.

Do take note of the reviews on the depth of the screw to fix the bin to the cabinet door. Amazon.com reviewers recommend to measure and use a piece of wood in case the cabinet door is not thick enough and therefore the screws will make holes in the cabinet door.

So you bought the Arco lamp from the online grp buy?

Btw, what floor tiles you chosen?

I didn't buy the lamp from the group buy, but I paid around 60% of the group buy price. I shall refrain from mentioning where I buy it until I get it delivered, 'cos I don't want to be recommending lemons to anybody. But the design is not exactly like the original Arc lamp as the metal arm is tubular. But what the heck, it's dirt cheap, and it's just for accent lighting!

My tile selection was mentioned previously here. I'm using Parador AC4 3-plank oak laminates for living/dining and all bedrooms and Allure AC5 oak vinyl tiles for the kitchen. You will notice that I have some faux-timber tiles. Those are for the kitchen cabinet base skirting and bathroom dry areas.

Do take note of the reviews on the depth of the screw to fix the bin to the cabinet door. Amazon.com reviewers recommend to measure and use a piece of wood in case the cabinet door is not thick enough and therefore the screws will make holes in the cabinet door.

Thanks for the cool tip! I'll make sure my carpenter takes note. :)

Thanks for the cool tip! I'll make sure my carpenter takes note. :)

Np lar.

Hey can you do a review of the laminate vs vinyl flooring when the floors are done? So far from what I've read vinyl seems like a good alternative to laminate (I don't like the feel) and wood (expensive and time-consuming) so am really curious. I like jap foyers... maybe in my next home if I ever get around to moving... ;)

Np lar.

Hey can you do a review of the laminate vs vinyl flooring when the floors are done? So far from what I've read vinyl seems like a good alternative to laminate (I don't like the feel) and wood (expensive and time-consuming) so am really curious. I like jap foyers... maybe in my next home if I ever get around to moving... ;)

Sure, will do. I'm also wondering how it'll turn out, haha...

I think advice on how to select the correct kitchen counter height has been beaten to death in this forum, but it doesn't hurt to have another picture to illustrate the idea. :)

pittari03-003.gif

The higher your ceiling, the taller your wall cabinet should be, else you'll probably need a ladder to even open the cabinet...

pittari03-005.gif

Nice formula you have there. I will use that formula for my reno :)

Thanks for the tip.

Edited by albertchng