Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
filetofish

Hdb Resale 5Rm 12Yrs 121Sqm

We asked our ID why there was such a big gap between the wardrobe to the window. He said it was built based on measurements. :dunno:

11.jpg

So we asked him to build another platform and shift a cabinet over. The pictures below shows the new platform that was built in.

5-13.jpg

6-11.jpg

In the close-up shot, one can easily tell that the platform is of the wrong height. Instead of replacing it immediately, the carpenter went ahead to plaster it to the wall.

:bangwall:

My blood pressure keeps getting higher... :curse:

actually the space is good for putting up a curtain to block the direct sunlight...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Relax and hear me out. There must be a reason for building a pole system wardrobe this way...

If you want to build it wall to wall, then the wall must not have window; if not the clothes will be quite dusty, so most logical planning is to build frame around the pole system with sliding door, then the little space next to window, customer can put a stand alone clothes hanger. Not all people will straight away throw the clothes they wear directly into the laundry bag, i'm sure many people hang it somewhere to air dry or to wear later on, that little space is perfect for such thing.

If they build a platform wall to wall, like what you have now... if you want to build a frame with sliding door later on, then they must hack away part of the platform which will affect the stability of the entire pole system. Actually i see the pole system wardrobe is build correctly, just that your ID is lousy in explaining why it is done this way and did not offer alternatives to you.

Your ID is inexperience in communicating with both the customers and contractors. Good ID will do progress report on at least a alternate day basis and discuss with customer what job is going to be done next and any concern or last minute changes from customer. When i say last minute changes means minor changes not involving complete redo with additional or complete different set of materials. If customer really want such huge changes, customer must be told to expect delay up to a week for ordering and delivering of materials.

All these miscommunication between you and your ID leads me to the following questions - Where and how you find your ID and what research you done on them? Have you talk to any of their customers before? Have you seen any of their current ongoing project? Seen testimonials from their past customers?

Thanks for your analysis. Yes, we also concluded that ID is very inexperience. Progress was minimally updated to us after we made several requests. The lack of communication from him led to several redos which was totally unnecessary. Some items couldn't even be re-done. I'll use my shoe cabinet as an example.

After we discussed and agreed on the design of the shoe cabinet, I asked him to give me the exact measurements/specifications (How many shelves, measurements of the shelves, can fit how many shoes, shoe height, etc.) He said he will get his carpenter to go to the house to measure so that measurements are more accurate, thereafter he will send me the measurements for my approval. However, the measurements were never provided despite us chasing for it many times. A week later when we were discussing with our ID on-site, we realized that the Display portion was at waist height which we had expected it to be higher for better visibility. However, our ID informed us that carpenter had already finished the shoe cabinet and can’t make the changes we wanted. We were furious as it really doesn’t make sense to have the display portion so low that we had to bend a little to see what’s there. After some brainstorming, this was subsequently resolved by inverting the entire shoe cabinet but that means we had to compromise on other specifications.

Relax and hear me out. There must be a reason for building a pole system wardrobe this way...

If you want to build it wall to wall, then the wall must not have window; if not the clothes will be quite dusty, so most logical planning is to build frame around the pole system with sliding door, then the little space next to window, customer can put a stand alone clothes hanger. Not all people will straight away throw the clothes they wear directly into the laundry bag, i'm sure many people hang it somewhere to air dry or to wear later on, that little space is perfect for such thing.

If they build a platform wall to wall, like what you have now... if you want to build a frame with sliding door later on, then they must hack away part of the platform which will affect the stability of the entire pole system. Actually i see the pole system wardrobe is build correctly, just that your ID is lousy in explaining why it is done this way and did not offer alternatives to you.

Your ID is inexperience in communicating with both the customers and contractors. Good ID will do progress report on at least a alternate day basis and discuss with customer what job is going to be done next and any concern or last minute changes from customer. When i say last minute changes means minor changes not involving complete redo with additional or complete different set of materials. If customer really want such huge changes, customer must be told to expect delay up to a week for ordering and delivering of materials.

All these miscommunication between you and your ID leads me to the following questions - Where and how you find your ID and what research you done on them? Have you talk to any of their customers before? Have you seen any of their current ongoing project? Seen testimonials from their past customers?

To answer your other questions, after about 4 months of discussion with 6 ID companies, we chose this company because (a) a friend referred them and feedback that he was very satisfied with the service, workmanship and quality and (b) they were able to meet our 2-month dateline.

Hi filetofish,

Nice wrought iron gate you've found and nice pole system idea for wardrobe you have there:)

Cheers and all the best for your renovation!

Jaskel

Thanks Jaskel. Cheers!

Hi filetofish,

Nice wrought iron gate you've found and nice pole system idea for wardrobe you have there:)

Cheers and all the best for your renovation!

Jaskel

Thanks for your advice. ID decided to change door and guarantee that the mis-alignment will be resolved. He didn't talk about price though, so I'm not sure if he's going to charge me for it.

The door was ok when we took over the house from the previous owner. They took down the door to facilitate their hacking/renovation and when they put it back up, it's mis-aligned. My view is that they should bear the cost of replacement since it was damaged during their work.

HDB main door is half fire-rated, not full; let you know so you dont tear your hair out when your ID tell you so. You really better run through the final bill to see if they charge you for this item cos IMO half fire-rated main door is expensive (ID usually put the price as > $1200). If they bear the cost for this replacement, you better find the sticker that say FR Door (0.5hr), no sticker means not tested and certified.