Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mummy123

Diy Painting

Just would like to get feedbacks from all.

Have anyone did their own painting for the whole instead of getting ID to do it? So far the quotes I've got from ID for painting of whole house is kinda X. Thought of doing it myself but not sure if it's worth the time?

Anyone can share?

Thanks in advance!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Mummy 123, its not easy to paint the whole house DIY especially the ceiling and if the house are full of furniture. I did the painting with my mum when I was young every 5-7 years and my 1st HDB which is maisonette of area 155sq.m with my mum help then. You also must have right equipment too. 1-2 full day to paint a room with furniture to have perfect jobs.

If without ceiling, i guess is quite do-able, i painted my 1400sqft condo myself(+wife), of course my unit then was empty, my own experience is, painting is rather easy and fast, trouble is before painting, the preparation work. to put masking tape around the wooden skirt, switches. And prepare the floor, to avoid paint on floor...

very hard to diy painting wall leh..how to paint? is it wait first layer dry first den paint 2nd layer. easy to get roller marks leh

can diy people can help and charge cheaper.

Good paint with several colour costing 500 for 5 room HDB is very attractive for young house owner. ID or home fix will cost more than 1500.

Another alternative is to get Bangala part time and may be asking for 500 but quality is not sure.

Alone will almost be impossible unless you have been doing it all along but 3-4 will be great to finish within a day or two.

I painted my first house and indeed ceiling was the worst and I completed within a day, yes it is 20 hours. I must agree it is good saving and good exercise.

Taking 3 days leave to save 1000 is worth it in my case.

You will need paint, painting kits, plastering kit.

Good luck.

feb 2012, i spent $4XX nippon odour~less EasyWash for 3 room hdb. tat time I paid painter labor fee nia. I just need to find someone can help me repaint 2 WALL ONLY, any painter can recommend. who can help me paint 2 WALL. I can pay u if u know how to paint 2 wall.

Edited by dean

thanks all for the feedback...

well thing is, we are thinking of painting here & there only, keeping most walls white... i believe all BTO houses are already painted white right? anyone can confirm that??

besides, my thinking is, wall painting can be done anytime... even after we move in... so it's not really that important... to pay 1000+ just for painting seems really pricey...

headache ah! 0___0

Hello mummy123,

Just to share some info...the walls in BTO are not painted white. What u see are actually plaster. Try swipe your finger against the wall and u will see white powder.

If u have children, i'd suggest u to paint. But need to paint with primer first then your favourite color. It takes alot of patience to paint a wall, ie. prep the wall, prep the area, paint with primer and let it dry, then paint with color, finally 2nd coat of paint for that even look....Not to mention the ceiling...

Since we've invested heavily in buying a house, i'd prefer to take my own time to paint those expensive walls, rather than forking out more money and pay ID. I'll feel more satisfied and proud...

Just my 2 cents worth...

thanks all for the feedback...

well thing is, we are thinking of painting here & there only, keeping most walls white... i believe all BTO houses are already painted white right? anyone can confirm that??

besides, my thinking is, wall painting can be done anytime... even after we move in... so it's not really that important... to pay 1000+ just for painting seems really pricey...

headache ah! 0___0

if house is empty and no furniture, and if you have time, and energy depending on house size, sure paint by yourself cheaper and better. and you can ensure you do a good job :)

Movin away fm ID, and engage painter yourself cost $1200 - 4 room. If you buy paint, $300-$400 for 4 room.

1. If your house is new/empty - painting is super easy straight forward - no furniture to cover/take care.

2. If your house is occupied, moving furnitures is a BIG problem. But think again .. if you engage painters, they dun do the shifting and covering for you; You still do it yourself and this is the most labourious part. Half the labourios job is done after clearing/moving furniture. Just paint it.

You need to do a lot preparation, like turning over the paint container 1 night before, laying the paper on the floor. Such that, the next day, you just start painting. It is tiring if you do the prepration on the same painting day.

Get few friends, brothers/sister or church cell groups to help. After that give them a generous chilli crab treats, it is also a get together. Next time, you must also help them if they paint their house.

IF you think it is not TIRED, then it is not. It is in the mind.

289c - ohh the walls are not even painted white? ok shucks... i seriously tot it would had been painted a basic white at least. but i agree with u.. we had invested a lot buying e house, it would definitely b more worth it painting it ourselves... =)

angusbeef - ya since its BTO, then definitely e house would be empty... i tot so too, doing it ourselves we can do a good job... =D

libbit6789 - ok i must say i totally agree with u.. that was what i had in mind too, to get few friends or family members to help then give them a big treat.. definitely worth it right.. n since it's our new house, im sure we wont even feel tired, infact excited! hehehe..

Last questions i would like to ask, any of u have any good recommendation of a good place selling paints at affordable price??

289c - ohh the walls are not even painted white? ok shucks... i seriously tot it would had been painted a basic white at least. but i agree with u.. we had invested a lot buying e house, it would definitely b more worth it painting it ourselves... =)

angusbeef - ya since its BTO, then definitely e house would be empty... i tot so too, doing it ourselves we can do a good job... =D

libbit6789 - ok i must say i totally agree with u.. that was what i had in mind too, to get few friends or family members to help then give them a big treat.. definitely worth it right.. n since it's our new house, im sure we wont even feel tired, infact excited! hehehe..

Last questions i would like to ask, any of u have any good recommendation of a good place selling paints at affordable price??

Actually painting is a wall is easy, but painting a house isn't. Choosing friends to paint the house, also must see if they know how to paint anot. I've seen my cousin's frens job painting his his whole house. One of the bedroom was painted by his frens, a lot of patches here and there.

Bear in mind one thing when you called ur frens to help. "There should be no complain, because it's ur fren and u cannot get angry wif them. They helped for free." Whereas if you are spending a bit more, u can call the guys to repaint if the job is not done well. Get them to patch watever u need to patch. That is the difference with a paid services.

Edited by sandywu

Unless u are those that dun mind the patches, you should either paint yourself, if not engage the professional. As an owner, you know when you do a good job, you'll very very feel happy. If the job is not done well, you still can console yourself. It's done by me.

Cheers :)

For beginners, use the sponge type of roller brush.

This type of roller brush is best for walls on the go and there is a smaller version for tricky corners e.g. near door frames, switches.

Ceiling paints comes in 18L format at good price, so no need to buy expensive 5L white paint, overkill.

Service yard areas can be painted with exterior white but please get windows or the dust will kill you over time.

Edited by chihkeong@yahoo.com