Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Boeing777

Drilling Holes To Install Shelves

Hi all,

It is quite some time since i post. I had ran into some issues on drilling holes in wall. i only manage to drill some way into the wall before i really give up due to the toughness of the wall. How do we know where can we drill and where we should avoid drilling. Any guidelines? How do we detect metal stub behind the wall?

Thanks and look forward to any helpful comments.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Most of the wall are able to drill holes on it. Switch the level above the trigger of the electric drill to drill concrete by using the drill bit for concrete wall. The RPM on this mode is slower and you need to push a little harder from time to time. Do not force too hard and you might break the drill bit.

Hi all,

It is quite some time since i post. I had ran into some issues on drilling holes in wall. i only manage to drill some way into the wall before i really give up due to the toughness of the wall. How do we know where can we drill and where we should avoid drilling. Any guidelines? How do we detect metal stub behind the wall?

Thanks and look forward to any helpful comments.

As rule of thumb, avoid drill directly above or below switches, power outlet, water tap. By default, cable, pipe normally run from ceiling down straight, so just need to avoid, for kitchen, if you have concealed gas pipe, need extra careful..normally, gas pipe area should hv a clear label to indicate conceal pipe.

If you want 100% sure, just go sim lim to buy those metal detector, meant for conceal wall wire, pipe detection.

sometimes, with the distance away from the wall, it is much harder to drill the inner wall simply because of friction. an alternative is to continue drilling using a smaller drill bit first, before continuing with a larger one. Also, use a reliable driller. a powerful and well, more expensive one, usually gives you better grip that u need. (and of course, safety issue when using china product)

Get a good drill like Bosch brand...must get one with hammer drill...

Use norm mode to drill a hole to set the target and foundation; then continue with hammer mode for a swift and clean outcome.

thanks all for your comments, will check out the hammer drill from Bosch, 700W, hope it does the job this time..:D

sorry have been busy with the new arrival of baby..so no time to check on this forum :D thanks again for your feedback.

TS probbaly hit a RC bar ( I won't want to know why he went to drill where there are metal bars within, maybe he was searching for GOLD bars) LOL

But if you use a SDS drill with a good quality SDS bit you will be able to drill thru.

But for driling a few holes would you go to the lengths to buy a good quality high powered SDS drill?

I don't think so. (another LOL)