Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OnTheRoad

1 Roof, 3 Generations

Tiling's more or less all done... the last place the tilers worked on was the backyard with the wet kitchen countertop...

Wet kitchen taking shape..

img2250o.jpg

Over the past few days, I have been at odds with my IDs over the budget & the VOs...

I can't quite figure out the value of tiling labour. For eg,

this wash kerb costs me 180..

img2232lf.jpg

this ledge for toiletries in the toilet is 300++

img2181tb.jpg

& I didnt take the picture, but for the tiling of the side of the drain so my swimming pool drain covers can fit, I'm charged 600++!! :jawdrop:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Focusing on happier things, have been to JB twice for lights shopping... I must say it feels very shiok to purchase items at a significantly cheaper price... I get a kick from finding good buys..

A snapshot of 1 of the good buys: track lights.

img2779h.jpg

I bought a 1m track + 3 leds (MR16-3 watts) for RM156, at Starworld, which is beside Tampoi Lighting (frequented by many renotalkers).

I needed something of higher wattage so bought the white tracklight (12 watts) at Yako, which is not far from Tampoi.

Also bought a house-full of LED downlights (12 watts) for RM95 each. That's about S$39. We were initially going for PLCs for half of the house, but seeing that the additional from PLCs to LEDs is less than S$400, my hub says this will easily be covered by utilities savings within a year & made the decision to buy LEDs for all the downlights. The only exception is ground floor toilet because we will be switching on/off very often (this is said to be unadvisable for LEDs) so the shop owner gave us 2 large PLCs FOC. The LEDs come with 1 year warranty.

Bought other ceiling, outdoor & wall lights as well but they're in boxes & not assembled. Will take pics of all the lights once installed, around next week.

Been to 4 lighting shops in all + 2 furniture shops + 1 sanitary wares shop. Bought more stuff at M One (LEDs) & Starworld (pendant & tracklights). Came back SG a happy gal because despite the splurge on LEDs, we are still within our lighting budget. I'm sure it'll have burst if we bought all the lights in SG. Furthermore Msia's quality is generally not inferior to those I've seen in SG.

Of course, the bak kut teh, bittergourd juice, wanton mee & penang fried kuay teow makes the whole experience even sweeter. :yamseng:

Edited by OnTheRoad

Hi OnTheRoad,

I'm quite interested in LED lights. Most people make the case that LED's are going to save a lot of money in the longer term. However, I've not been able to get feedback from people who have actually used it long term enough to give a proper review. The biggest fear of the LED light is the half-life of the LED. In layman terms, the lifespan of the LED is proportionate to the light given off. Meaning as it gets older, the LED will get dimmer ... dimmer.

For PLC, since it will spoil, the likely case is that people would change it anyway. That keeps the light in a "newer" condition. It also doesn't have a short half life like LED.

Did you research this matter before hand? I'm not an expert and would just like to get some feedback on this ... thanks!

Hi OnTheRoad,

I'm quite interested in LED lights. Most people make the case that LED's are going to save a lot of money in the longer term. However, I've not been able to get feedback from people who have actually used it long term enough to give a proper review. The biggest fear of the LED light is the half-life of the LED. In layman terms, the lifespan of the LED is proportionate to the light given off. Meaning as it gets older, the LED will get dimmer ... dimmer.

For PLC, since it will spoil, the likely case is that people would change it anyway. That keeps the light in a "newer" condition. It also doesn't have a short half life like LED.

Did you research this matter before hand? I'm not an expert and would just like to get some feedback on this ... thanks!

Hi Coolting, I'm no expert also... just read a couple of discussions around LED lights & its downsides & whether it really saves on utilities.. didn't really research on what you described, cos I felt the price I'm buying at is still ok. When an LED spoils, it's mainly the driver, so I can change that without changing the lights itself.

Furthermore, LEDs doesnt flicker as much as PLCs, so it's good for our eyesight, especially for my children when they read... & as I mentioned, the amount I'm topping up for LEDs is only about 300-400 more than if I were to use PLCs, so to make it back within the 1 year warranty period means I need to save 30+ per month, which my Dad says is easily done. He's known friends who changed & saved on utilities, & so far I've not heard anyone who says no savings...

Of course if I'm paying 60-70 per LED I would research harder lor. So this was a quick decision for me due to the lower price. :thumbs up:

Time really flies when you're busy... haven't been able to update lately as I'm preparing to head back to work...maternity leave ending.... :~

Shan't bore you guys with the boring stuff anymore... here's the latest updates.

Backyard wet kitchen almost complete.... view from backyard.

img2382dj.jpg

Ah... my dry kitchen cabinets are up....laminates nice bo? :yeah:

img2431y.jpg

My divider cabinet for the split level, so my children will not fall from the dining room into the living room...had a hard time choosing laminates & coloured pvc for this one.

img2432a.jpg

Closer look at the laminates against the coloured pvc inside... can u tell it's different? :blink:

img2433v.jpg

Shoe cabinets... I already think it's not enough.

img2434f.jpg

Ok, more progress to come later... the lights are being fixed now... will post pics once blink blinks are on!

OnTheRoad, your house is really coming along very quickly. So envious of your spacious living room. :dancingqueen::)

Hi there, tks! It's been quite a packed schedule since beginning so tkfully the house is looking more & more livable... Hehe.

Ya, my living room is quite big now, wait till its overrun by my kiddos' toys! :P

Like the laminates that you chose for your kitchen.... your reno is progressing well...

I have yet to choose our IDs/ contractor tho' have more or less decided on the wet works contractor...

Now headache on carpentry & whether I really need ID or not... :unsure:

Hi there, tks! It's been quite a packed schedule since beginning so tkfully the house is looking more & more livable... Hehe.

Ya, my living room is quite big now, wait till its overrun by my kiddos' toys! :P

Haha that's a good problem. Your kids will love their new home and their new playground ;)

Like the laminates that you chose for your kitchen.... your reno is progressing well...

I have yet to choose our IDs/ contractor tho' have more or less decided on the wet works contractor...

Now headache on carpentry & whether I really need ID or not... :unsure:

Hi shmj, thanks! They're from Jennings, you can look out for it when doing yours... :)

Oh, so your wetworks contractor does not cover carpentry? Hmm, lemme know if you need a carpenter contact, i can pm you. I'm using him for a few of my items, recommended by my parents who used them for their renovation. :thumbs up:

Haha that's a good problem. Your kids will love their new home and their new playground ;)

I've actually partitioned the ground floor room into a playroom and maid's room... can't wait to go ikea for their colourful kids furniture. :sport-smiley-004:

The 2nd floor lightings are more or less up.... ground floor still in progress.

View of master room from the room entrance. Matt white amasco fan highly recommended by my aunt.

img2880b.jpg

With lights on... notice the 'cove lights'? The ID proposed this, as I do not want to sleep every night knowing dust is accumulating in my cove lights holder. These are actually spotlights installed on the side of L-box...

img2883m.jpg

A close-up of the 12W LED downlights bought in M'sia for RM95...the effect from the patterned edges are nice when switched on. Only my iphone can't capture it properly...

img2882ui.jpg

This I bought in M'sia as well for equivalent of less than a hundred sgd. Not perfect but good enough for 2nd floor landing.

img2887zc.jpg

Black tracklights for the stairwell area... RM 156 from M'sia...

img2888p.jpg

I really like the matt black amasco fan... & the matt white for that matter. Bought them for I believe quite a good price as I bought 6 sets. This fan's in my dining room.

img2889z.jpg

My master toilet's countertop basin from Johnson Suisse, & waterfall tap from Webert. Tap is unique hor?

img2885e.jpg

1 piece Johnson Suisse WC...

img2886jk.jpg

That's all for today. More pics of lightings on ground floor tomorrow...

Have been experiencing reno fatigue since Monday... would rather be spending time with my babies... haiz.

Edited by OnTheRoad