Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OnTheRoad

1 Roof, 3 Generations

Very nice layout! If I were you, I will want to have a nice little garden at the backyard. Hehee, but to be more practical a wet kitchen is a good idea if you do lots of cooking. By the way, are you going to build an entrance to the toilet from the utility room? I feel that's much more convenient for the maid or whoever sleeps in that room.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Very nice layout! If I were you, I will want to have a nice little garden at the backyard. Hehee, but to be more practical a wet kitchen is a good idea if you do lots of cooking. By the way, are you going to build an entrance to the toilet from the utility room? I feel that's much more convenient for the maid or whoever sleeps in that room.

Hi Valerie,

I don't think there's a single green finger amongst the 6 adults that's going to live in the house... we don't want a plant massacre at my backyard. haha... we plan to only have a frangipani tree in front & perhaps some bamboo, or any plants that do not have alot of creepy crawlies... pls suggest if you know of any!

Yes we cook 5 days a week, so also looking to get a good hob, any recommendations?

We're splitting the utility into a maid's room & playroom. Maid's room entrance will be hacked & is beside the toilet, so quite convenient liao?

Edited by OnTheRoad

hey, pretty place you have there! :good:

i'm looking for wood-like tiles too. do u remember how much psf does your dry-kitchen tile cost?

Hi itsybits, tks! :)

Mine is only $3psf. Bear in mind that it comes in 15x60cm so contractor might charge u additional for wastage & labour.

There are also those $4.50psf ones in similar size where "wood grain" is deeper, as well as 60x60 ones abt $3.40psf IIRC but wood effect might not be there liao. I chose the cheap & nice enuf one. :)

My contractor was kind enuf to absorb the labour & wastage charges since wood tile area is not big. I only hv to pay additional for subway tiles in my toilet, also subj to these charges cos of its 10x60cm size.

Hope this helps!

Edited by OnTheRoad

Thanks Hin! Mine won't be as classy as yours le, much of the budget is used for wetworks as mine is a 20 yr old house in original condition. The false ceiling frames are wood, not aluminium, the bathrooms are pink coloured.... you get the idea. ;)

There are some good things about the house though, like doors are solid nyatoh (according to my contractor), & well, I guess having to do extensive reno means we can plan the space to our needs.

:yamseng:

Foundation are much more important than aesthetic, just like human.

I keep most of the original doors in the house and can comes up to a substantial savings.

Hmmm, are you @ district 19?

Foundation are much more important than aesthetic, just like human.

I keep most of the original doors in the house and can comes up to a substantial savings.

Hmmm, are you @ district 19?

Ooo how u know? R u D19 too? :o

Serendipity

At the point when we signed on the option for this house, we knew there would be alot of decisions - major ones with minor consequences, minor ones with major consequences, major ones with... you get the idea.

We had learnt from personal experiences that sometimes going with the flow or gut feel does reap better results. For my hub & I, we trust God to look out for our interests & so our decisions sometimes might not seem commonsensical at that point.

Eg 1: dismantling the existing good-conditioned nyatoh wood cabinets. We initially decided to keep the wardrobes to save $$ & our IDs agreed the condition is good & they just need to repaint it white for an updated look. When reno started, I somehow just felt the wardrobes should go. We made a quick decision & asked to remove them. It was then that we discovered

...these watermarks on the ceiling - possible leakage?

img1746dj.jpg

By gerontheroad at 2012-05-17

...these termite mudtrails that are now dead...but still gross to keep them around rite?

img1748pf.jpg

...numerous hairline cracks on the wall such as these...

img1745a.jpg

So now at least we can patch up the cracks, investigate the roof, & rid those yucky mudtrails...

Eg 2: Just 1 hour into the start of the reno, my IDs had a flash of inspiration to hack part of the wall of the playroom. This will ventilate the room much more & brighten up the whole area. Quote was given on the spot, & my hub & I decided to proceed within that 5 mins.

That's how we uncovered this:

..the sewage pipe with a hole dripping water. The drip falls onto the wall that's why it would not have been visible till too late... of course, there's the possibility that the hole's poked accidentally by the hacker, but I'm not probing since IDs will patch that up for me.

img1801mu.jpg

Some decisions we had held off till kena chased by ID to choose, then at last minute we discover a better option for us...

We feel things are going well & we're thankful & happy about the decisions made so far, including choosing this ID team. :thumbs up:

Just a side note, isn't this wall beautiful?

img1823s.jpg

This is the dry kitchen wall whose old tiles have been hacked off. Wouldn't it be so nice if I can just smoothen out the rough patches & paint it white... ID checking on feasibility, cos the old cement parts are too rough to have around 2 toddlers...

Check out the wood structure used to do false ceiling / boxed up in the past..

img1781fv.jpg

...& the wooden roof structure....

img1873l.jpg

There appears to be some tiny holes in the roof material...hope that can be remedied easily...

Hi Valerie,

I don't think there's a single green finger amongst the 6 adults that's going to live in the house... we don't want a plant massacre at my backyard. haha... we plan to only have a frangipani tree in front & perhaps some bamboo, or any plants that do not have alot of creepy crawlies... pls suggest if you know of any!

Yes we cook 5 days a week, so also looking to get a good hob, any recommendations?

We're splitting the utility into a maid's room & playroom. Maid's room entrance will be hacked & is beside the toilet, so quite convenient liao?

Bamboo is elegant! I love! But need to control the spread of bamboo. May not be an easy task. My mom also wanted to plant bamboo in the garden but she thinks that there is lots of effort involve to maintain it and to control the bamboo from overgrowing.

Haha i'm also not a person with green fingers. But I admire people with great garden landscape.

Bamboo is elegant! I love! But need to control the spread of bamboo. May not be an easy task. My mom also wanted to plant bamboo in the garden but she thinks that there is lots of effort involve to maintain it and to control the bamboo from overgrowing.

Haha i'm also not a person with green fingers. But I admire people with great garden landscape.

Ya hor? nice hor...but oh, hv to maintain often? hmm...ok think twice liao...hur hur...want a neat garden...:)

Now faced with a decision to change the copper piping for whole house or not...any views? :s

better to get it change. everything will be conceal after that.

i can imagine the night mare if any pipe burst after moving in..

better to get it change. everything will be conceal after that.

i can imagine the night mare if any pipe burst after moving in..

Ya lor... I also thought to change, but my dad says not necessary cos anyway government dont change their water pipes also... ultimately a good filter more important. Leakage wise the plumbers had checked & its ok leh.

I wonder how long copper pipes last? 20 years? 50 years? any chemistry experts here? :o

Hi,

Why don't you incorporate a cabinet below your basin in your MBR toilet? It'd be practical.

You don't intend to have a build-in oven?