Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
chynaho

Makeover For 30 Year Old Home In Marine Parade

Day 4

Got our electrician to strip all cabling, so id can work more easily. Decided not to use the electrician provided by id. Instead we found a contact from hb's friend and saved a substantial amount. It's a blessing that hb was previously in construction and has many contacts! :)

Cables for workers... all tied up near the db box.

IMG_1358.jpg

All the trunking and cables are gone.

IMG_1365.jpg

All existing lighting removed.

IMG_1362.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wow ValerieLow you have super duper sharp eyes to spot the similarity in flat layout!! :sport-smiley-003: Thanks for the visit to my T-blog.

We actually threw the shelf away because hb said the exposed shelves are dust magnets. Wanted to give it away to Salvation Army but they rejected it as well.

Day 4

Got our electrician to strip all cabling, so id can work more easily. Decided not to use the electrician provided by id. Instead we found a contact from hb's friend and saved a substantial amount. It's a blessing that hb was previously in construction and has many contacts! :)

Cables for workers... all tied up near the db box.

IMG_1358.jpg

All the trunking and cables are gone.

IMG_1365.jpg

All existing lighting removed.

IMG_1362.jpg

Hi chynaho,

Are these red/black cables shown in your picture new ones or old ones to be cleared?

Hi lemonades

These cables are old ones. The electrician has to make a temporary electrical point for the workers to do their work. I will confirm with my hb and let you know. From my knowledge, the new cables are brown.

Hi lemonades

These cables are old ones. The electrician has to make a temporary electrical point for the workers to do their work. I will confirm with my hb and let you know. From my knowledge, the new cables are brown.

hi chynaho,

yes, the cable should be brown, blue and yellow-green under the new rules. You can get more information from this website.

http://elise.ema.gov.sg/safety/about.html

Better to make sure that the electrician is giving you the right cables.

I gain these information from renotalk when I did re-wiring. It is good to share with everyone.

Thanks Lemonade! Really grateful to forumers like you who point out timely information to us. Checked with hb and yes the electrician is giving up the cables based on the latest colour code.

Day 6

Supposed to hack again but Id said auntie downstairs complained that no prior notice was given. Bet she took leave again. Arrgggh this auntie is driving us nuts!! :curse::curse::curse: Id agreed and informed her that hacking would be done the next day. Hb told id that even if auntie complains the next day, we will still go on as permit was given. Am glad that id is patient enough to handle this auntie...

Day 7

This is the result after id got the hackers to come down again to remove the plaster and parts of the wall again. Much cleaner and better, according to hb. :)

20120613_182657.jpg

20120613_182709.jpg

20120613_182715.jpg

Edited by chynaho

Day 8

Finally get to see the wet works. When we reached yesterday, the workers were still hard at work.

This is the wall behind the kitchen cabinet. I told hb that the wall never looked so smooth before!! Very impressed by the 'Shi fus'. :good:

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

This is the opposite wall where tiles would be placed on.

IMG_1464.jpg

Can see that war has begun...

IMG_1465.jpg

Anyone knows if the vent pipes in old Hdb can be removed?

Edited by chynaho

I'm back with more updates...

No time to update over the weekends. With reno and wedding preparations going on at the same time, my weekends are never the same again. They are filled with running errands, and more errands. But I must say that the trips are worthwhile...because we are building our home with love.

Anyway, I do derive personal satisfaction once I manage to check off individual items on my to-do list. And it's good to see the list getting shorter and shorter for the house as we need to start preparations for the wedding soon.

Day 9

Anyway, Hb updated that two sides of the wall tiles are up. The workmanship of the tiler is good. The tiles were evenly spaced and well-aligned with each other. According to my Hb who had a check with the tiler, he has had 20+-years experience in this trade. Hb and I both agree that he takes good pride in his work.

I believe quite a no of forumers chose this tile as well but interestingly, the effects turn out quite different.

Take a look. The light hitting the walls gives it a tunnel-ish effect.

IMG_2489.jpg

The other side, where we are placing a sliding door.

IMG_2490.jpg

Close-up of the tile itself

IMG_2494.jpg

Waterproofing for toilets and bathrooms are done as well

IMG_2491.jpg

Holes in walls are mended

IMG_2492.jpg

Wow ValerieLow you have super duper sharp eyes to spot the similarity in flat layout!! :sport-smiley-003: Thanks for the visit to my T-blog.

We actually threw the shelf away because hb said the exposed shelves are dust magnets. Wanted to give it away to Salvation Army but they rejected it as well.

Haha... not that I have sharp eyes, I visited that house before my reno started and you two have almost same layout as my flat.

Your reno is progressing well. I can't imagine having to prepare for wedding and reno at the same time! All your weekends must be really tiring and hectic.

Built-in Wardrobes Designed by id

As you can see, we kept the designs of wardrobes simple so buying of furniture is lesser of a headache.

Master Bedroom (Colours: Grey , black, white)

MBR_1.jpg

Bedroom 2 (Colours: Beige, brown, white)

BDRM_2A.jpg

Bedroom 3 (Colours: Black and white)

WARDROBE.jpg

Toilet

MTB_2.jpg

Bathroom

MTB_3.jpg

Day 9 to Day 11

Wet works are still continuing. Tiling works seem to be the most time-consuming for all renovation. Am using flickr using of the usual photobucket as photobucket is down.

As you can see the walls for the kitchen are slowly being tiled. I would say close to 2/3 of kitchen walls are done.

7411855858_8739d13d8f_m.jpg

A flat rubbich chute would be installed here.

7411856826_f1ce608b59_m.jpg

Wall tiles in toilet done.

Some issues initially with the tiling in the toilet itself. As you can see, the tiles at the back of the appears lopsided; i.e. the tile on the left are bigger than the tiles on the right.

7411864414_af778855b5_m.jpg

We gave this feedback to Orange and she managed to get the tiler to rectify this the next day. :dancingqueen:

It now looks like this

7411857760_3478fba225_m.jpg

Better right? It now looks like the 3d drawing she gave us!

By the way the tiles are white, but when photographed, it gives an interesting checkered effect. This tile was selected by Orange. :good: