Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
breakfast

(Pte Ltd Local Companies) Vs (Mncs) Working Environment

Hi guys,

thru these years of work, i have never been in listed or MNCs companies

all along been stuck with pte ltd - local companies. and realise benefits, and management styles, bosses, SOPs they created "their own laws and rules"

sometimes it's frustrating working for these small companies (less than 50 employees) - lousy benefits and traditional bosses ! zz

since i have never been with any big companies,

so its kinda one sided to be speaking the "bad" of pte ltd companies

anyone care to share their experiences in comparision w MNCs and Pte Ltd?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I'm opposite from you.

I'm never work in pte ltd before. The only local company I work is listed in SGX

I'm work in USA MNC, German MNC, France MNC.

I would say.. all summa summa.

All has their pro and con

In PTE, you might complain about their freedom to create their own rule.

In MNC, you might complain, this cannot .. that cannot.. b'coz procedure say so. ISO say so. System say so.

HQ do like this for many many years, etc...

Benefit.. not all MNC is good.

I come across a American MNC who only give 15 day annual leave straight thru' your service year. No increase of AL. You work for 10 yrs, also 15 AL.

Then no bonus, b'coz they say AWS is consider bonus. USA HQ don't even had AWS.

As for boss, all the same regardless is local, PTE LTD or MNC.

There only has good boss and bad boss.

DOn't have local V PTE LTD V MNC which has the best bosses.

Be it local or foreign when it comes to bonus all same :furious:

So far the only local co I find it best is my first employer too bad closed shop liao :~

Only good or bad boss/superior

The key differences:

MNC

- Benefits usually are better

- a lot of approvals need to be sought to do very minor thing. Email approval only e.g."Approve, Yes, Ok" Some didnt even read your justification and they approved blindly.

- a lot Processes and Policies.

- Compulsory Web-based compliance training to be attended

- You will not see the layer 0 (CEO) and layer 1 to 2 executives as they are classify the 'gods'

- a lot of unnecessary reports to be generated.

- A mixture of qualified employees and 'good-for-nothing' fishes including most bosses. Most big bosses will introduce their 'friends' into his or her own team hence creating gang or groups in case there is a 'game' to play.

- game here as in politics. A very good place to be learn how to be a dam good 'politician' or if not victim.

- have proper escalation process.

- CEOs or any senior management for that region e.g. APJ, SEA or EMEA will send out e-greeting to people when there is a public holiday such as Chinese New Year.

- You will NEVER received any personalised email from CEO unless you are in the 'gods' groups.

- CEO and gods will NOT be able to attend your farewell party or lunches. Probably just reply your farewell email with "Good Luck" or "All the best" if you BCC your farewell email to them. Some will just delete them away because they don't even know you!

Small setup, SMEs

- Benefits less attractive

- lesser levels of approvals need to e.g. buying printer toner. Just an sms from the registered owner of the shop, firm is sufficient.

- lesser internal processes and some (whose clients are govt related) will grumble a lot about the required procedures set by some statutory boards, etc -" how come CxF, M*M, H*B so troublesome one, why hah???"

- no formal training on company policy, perhaps just some face to face meeting and some notes for your to read and normally you will not read them.

- you will always see your big boss face sometime happy, sometime bad mood, sometime tab your shoulder, etc...

- less stringent on weekly or monthly reports unless some kind of complains from customers or when the sales are not doing well.

- The big boss usually hire "5 star general" compare to MNC hiring so many soldiers. But the 5 star general usually work like mad horse. 5 star general meaning very capable people.

- no formal escalation process. Even cleaner auntie will walk straight to the big boss and complain.

- boss will hand over ang pow personally to you during chinese new year.

- you will always received emails directly from your boss chasing after you for something.

- Boss will throw a farewell dinner for you and most bosses will charge the bill under company as "Entertainment Expenses"

Only one similarity -

Both are just a job, even you have their stock options, so what. Even CEO can be get rid off! Remember if you work for someone, after you signed the letter of employment - an agreement which make both parties an employer and employee status only, it is just a JOB only.

Edited by gangeshertz