Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sunsetsky

Minicasa In The Sky

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thanks for kind comments ;)

I thought nothing was happening today,except for the cement drying, but the electrical team popped by after lunch.

So I told them what and where the points are to be added or relocated.They did work for a while and left for another site.

electricalworkinprogres.jpg

Hope there is minimal misinterpretation and that I have catered for sufficient additional electrical points.

Six power sockets in the study should be enough right? :o

The fridge and kitchen cabinet cement base looks alright. I was assured that the tiler will seal the floor gap later. Luckily I remember to highlight that I wanted the rounded corners.

fridgeandcementbase.jpg

And the kitchen sink is cast in the cement mould?

kitchensinkcastintomoul.jpg

The rest of wetworks are work in progress...

Now trying to think through the OpenNet & my network cabling, currently still undecided about the OpenNet TP and if I require structured cabling to “futureproof” the place.

My dad is already anticipating the next generation TV coz he said wait until they roll out the super smart televisions……. I wonder if he knows the price tag for smart TV :jawdrop:

As mentioned above, my renovation has just started on Monday.

I’m guessing more or less the usual order of renovation is:

1)Planning

2)Selection of materials

Flooring (fastforward 1 step)

3)Purchase of items required for wetworks eg: sinks

4)Floor & door protection

5)Wetworks<<<Currently here

6a)Outline of required Electrical work

6b)Measurement for carpentry works

7)Aircon trunking

8)Electrical works

9)Painting

10)Plumbing?

11)Carpentry

12)Aircon units

13)Cleaning

14)Checking for defects/required adjustments

15)Handover

Moving in

My current problem is the Daikin System 3+1 aircon that I wanted to install, or to be more precise the window that opens to the aircon ledge.

This is my take on the current situation, which I am unable to resolve cost-effectively

The window frame can only be hacked out of the wall (:bangwall: if only this wld help increase 2cm in window opening height)

whyu.jpg

whytu.jpg

To resolve this,

1)I have checked using the alternative brand of Mit.E but it still involves either removing the legs permanently off the Sys3 compressor unit or taking out the compressor casing and putting them back when on the aircon ledge.

The problem is there is no way I will know if the warranty will be in force, until the situation called for troubleshooting/repair servicing.

2)I have tried checking for Daikin system 2 +1 but the aircon installers seem unwillingly to take the job since one quoted me the cost of installing Mit.E. system 4 and the other never replied.

3)Other alternative brands such as Mit.Heavy Industries but I was advised that it's relatively noisier than the rest.

In an attempt to not stress myself out, I have decided to KIV my Daikin Inverter System 3 +1 aircon plans for the moment. Maybe the window frame will expand :P

Welcome, neighbour. Haha, funny interpretation of the air con window. Try to change air con brand. Maybe to LG Inverter 3+1 which I used myself. Its compressor is small enough to fit thru the "big" window

Thanks busybee for your suggestion,but will kiv aircon plans first.

20th July 2012 (The sinks supports are almost done)

The kitchen sink done in cement support and tiled with homogenous tiles

p7200261.jpg

The laundry sink cement base supports in service yard

p7200286.jpg

The cement supports are ugly but they will last longer and if replacements are required, perhaps the heart/wallet will not be as pained?

Losing steam…..

As I am not technology/technically inclined, still confused by the wirings required for fibre and home network

If we have this scv box, does it mean the flat is fibre ready or just cable tv ready ?

scvbox.jpg

And the telephone points in the rooms can be converted to data points for home networking?

studyphonepoint.jpg

:help:

Losing steam…..

As I am not technology/technically inclined, still confused by the wirings required for fibre and home network

If we have this scv box, does it mean the flat is fibre ready or just cable tv ready ?

scvbox.jpg

And the telephone points in the rooms can be converted to data points for home networking?

studyphonepoint.jpg

:help:

This is cable tv main box. U have individual SCV point in living room and all bedrooms. So if u subscribe to Starhub, u can just connect yr set top to these points. Fibre cable still not installed for Casa yet. So if u have a lot of BI carpentry like me, u shd ask yr contractor to standby a trunking for future fibre cable installation.

Tel points in all the rooms are linked to 1 line, so it shd be home networking ready. And if u have more than 1 tel line, ask yr contractor to connect to diff tel port. Main tel port located in living room near windows.

This is cable tv main box. U have individual SCV point in living room and all bedrooms. So if u subscribe to Starhub, u can just connect yr set top to these points. Fibre cable still not installed for Casa yet. So if u have a lot of BI carpentry like me, u shd ask yr contractor to standby a trunking for future fibre cable installation.

Tel points in all the rooms are linked to 1 line, so it shd be home networking ready. And if u have more than 1 tel line, ask yr contractor to connect to diff tel port. Main tel port located in living room near windows.

Thanks Bee :D

About the home network

I checked the opennet website and this msg to me, translated to " If you cannot wait, go ask your rsp to ask us to do lor."

Luckily I was too busy to have gone and cancel my internet plan for the moment.

opennetstatus.png

Anyway,I finally called somebody to do a site survey and was told that the extra Living room phone wires can be used as a data cable.

But we will run the extra point to the living room, to save the hassle of running one additional point in the future.

Hence the Fibre optic cable will be terminating in the study, then connect to data cables which will be layed to the two bedrooms and the third

back to the living room in anticipation of the IPTV (end 2013?)

About Lighting bugs

Decided to quickly check out the lightings shops in jurong area since i was there today, but did not find anything suitable for the new flat.

Maybe my requirement is too simple/ too difficult?.

This extremely helpful delivery guy(he told me he is the delivery guy!) showed me a simple light that is easy to replace. I still can't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

No photos allowed, so a simple cut-paste example have to suffice, imagine the circle is the light with some small design in the centre

mercedeslight.png

He said it looks like the mercedes emblem. I told him our current lights already look like that!

Actually the lightings prices & designs all look rather similar, so the shops are actually competing on the level of service or whether the customer like the sales rep(s) or not.

But some people dun get it. Then again,it would be quite hard to be helpful as well as able to discern whether the potential customer wants help on hand or browsing time & space.

Sorry I constantly contradict myself :P

[Side story of how we got mercedes emblem lookalike lights]

The round lights' plastic covers have all partially cracked & they are difficult to cover back and we got tired of removing and covering them back to change the frequently blown fuses/light etc. Come to think of it, after we remove the covers, the lights seem to be working fine...... maybe it's all those silly bugs attracted by the lights and short circuiting the light bulb with their embraces]

Hence I don't want lights that will become bug mausoleums

Edited by sunsetsky

hihi, do you mean u run cat5 cables point to the living room from the study, to cater for open-net???

About the home network

I checked the opennet website and this msg to me, translated to " If you cannot wait, go ask your rsp to ask us to do lor."

Luckily I was too busy to have gone and cancel my internet plan for the moment.

opennetstatus.png

Anyway,I finally called somebody to do a site survey and was told that the extra Living room phone wires can be used as a data cable.

But we will run the extra point to the living room, to save the hassle of running one additional point in the future.

Hence the Fibre optic cable will be terminating in the study, then connect to data cables which will be layed to the two bedrooms and the third

back to the living room in anticipation of the IPTV (end 2013?)

About Lighting bugs

Decided to quickly check out the lightings shops in jurong area since i was there today, but did not find anything suitable for the new flat.

Maybe my requirement is too simple/ too difficult?.

This extremely helpful delivery guy(he told me he is the delivery guy!) showed me a simple light that is easy to replace. I still can't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

No photos allowed, so a simple cut-paste example have to suffice, imagine the circle is the light with some small design in the centre

mercedeslight.png

He said it looks like the mercedes emblem. I told him our current lights already look like that!

Actually the lightings prices & designs all look rather similar, so the shops are actually competing on the level of service or whether the customer like the sales rep(s) or not.

But some people dun get it. Then again,it would be quite hard to be helpful as well as able to discern whether the potential customer wants help on hand or browsing time & space.

Sorry I constantly contradict myself :P

[Side story of how we got mercedes emblem lookalike lights]

The round lights' plastic covers have all partially cracked & they are difficult to cover back and we got tired of removing and covering them back to change the frequently blown fuses/light etc. Come to think of it, after we remove the covers, the lights seem to be working fine...... maybe it's all those silly bugs attracted by the lights and short circuiting the light bulb with their embraces]

Hence I don't want lights that will become bug mausoleums

Hi and888,

Yes, data cable to link home network to OpenNet. But I'm running CAT6

Icic, I am planning to do the similar, how much do ur contractor charge u for your CAT6 points? Mine is suggesting 150-160 per point for CAT 6 and 100 per point for CAT 5. I wonder the big difference in prices between the both.

About the same price, but I found the contact via hardware zone, it's not my reno contractor

The difference is in the transfer capability between CAT5 and 6 cables,

Cat6 supports Gigabit ethernet. Cat5 only supports up to 10/100 ethernet.

Edited by sunsetsky

6th August’12

Guess it’s been a while since I updated the reno progress photos

paintss.jpg

You can guess that the place has been painted. I had difficulties selecting the colours as I was only allowed to choose amongst Dulux Pentalite, so that it’s easier when they need to touch up.Wonder if I should have engaged Dulux to paint for me instead??

So much for trying to following the wheel

mycolorwheellarge.jpg

Can you see the wall colour of the Living Room: Almond?

livingroompainted.jpg

Actually, I wanted to paint French Manicure for the Dining corner, but the painting uncle said not nice, so we stuck with one colour. The same uncle who didn’t like my choice of paints.

Anyway it’s done, I can always repaint the whole flat five years later….

Mbr: Barely white

mbrpainted.jpg

Small Room: Mocha

mochax.jpg

Previously,

Last wednesday, my structured cabling has been done. This is the living room data point

lrdatapt1.jpg

keystonejackemptypacket.jpg

Hopefully the OpenNet team will run the optic fibre nicely with minimal ugly trunking to terminate in my study( more than 15m :o ........)

Last Thursday, two guys came to install the sliding windows for the service yard.

serviceyardslidingwindo.jpg

I thought I will not see the “full” view again. After the windows were installed, I realized that it was my current flat’s heavily tinted windows that “brainwashed” me into thinking that. :P

Last Saturday, we replaced the existing HDB up-down laundry rack with a swivelable one.

The installer was over enthusiastic and his spanner flew and almost hit my toilet bifold door which fortunately has been pushed to the side.

The four screws ,previously holding up the hdb laundry rack,remained on the ceiling as the vendor said it's very difficult to remove.

laundryrackinstallation.jpg

The bulky HDB laundry rack has been replaced with a more user & sun friendly rack.

Oops forgot to take a photo of the laundry rack. [photo to be pasted later :P ]