Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sgling

Can I And How To Recoat Formica Surfaces

Hi,

I've a set of cabinets. Would like to recoat the surfaces to something more neutral.

Any suggestions? Understand that the surfaces are formica. Unlikely to be able to peel them off.

Can I paint over them? Find a contracter to recoat the surface? Was told maybe I could try stickers but I doubt they will last long.

Please HELP!!!

My link

Edited by sgling

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

I've a set of cabinets. Would like to recoat the surfaces to something more neutral.

Any suggestions? Understand that the surfaces are formica. Unlikely to be able to peel them off.

Can I paint over them? Find a contracter to recoat the surface? Was told maybe I could try stickers but I doubt they will last long.

Please HELP!!!

ANyway I'm new on this forum. How do I post photo of the cabinets?

Hi sgling, Welcome to Renotalk~

Anyway here's how u can upload photos.

Go to http://imageshack.us/ or http://www.photobucket.com , upload your photos and click 'Host it'

Copy the codes in the textbox entitled ' Thumbnail for forums' and paste them in your post.

By saying formica you meant laminate right?

Anywayz you can try relaminating or painting (spray painting nicer but more costly) them if the cabinets' carcass are still good. :thumbs up: Do note that there are pros and cons to them alright?

Oh ya. Maybe you should try posting under renovation works or under maintenance and repair. :)

:yamseng: ,

Mike

Edited by mikeyong500

Hey Mike, Many thanks for the help. Have reposted it somewhere. Anyway, do u know if any one actually does the relaminating or spray paint work?

and what are the pros and cons?

Hi sgling, Welcome to Renotalk~

Anyway here's how u can upload photos.

Go to http://imageshack.us/ or http://www.photobucket.com , upload your photos and click 'Host it'

Copy the codes in the textbox entitled ' Thumbnail for forums' and paste them in your post.

By saying formica you meant laminate right?

Anywayz you can try relaminating or painting (spray painting nicer but more costly) them if the cabinets' carcass are still good. :thumbs up: Do note that there are pros and cons to them alright?

Oh ya. Maybe you should try posting under renovation works or under maintenance and repair. :)

Mike

Hello sgling,

aiyo~ you reposted at the same heading. :drunk: Was thinking you can repost under Renovation forums in Renovation works :sport-smiley-004:

Hmmm your cabinets look new leh... how come want the change? You dun like the color? :ph34r:

Anywayz relaminating and painting over existing laminate has no guarantees on how long it can last. :dunno:

It depends alot on the existing conditions of the cabinets and the laminates, especially the edges and corners where is is easiest to wear and tear.

Pros:

- Cost saving as there is no need to change the whole cabinet :blink:

Cons:

- No guarantee :(

- For relaminating, the thickness will increase thus might affect the opening and closing of the doors

- If cabinets are built in, it will be hard to relaminate certain areas :bangwall:

- For spray painting, lots of protection needed for the other items in the same area if cabinet is built in. :ph34r:

- Spray painting can only change color but the design is still the same :paint:

- Alot of limitations which can only be analysed upon seeing onsite condition/ situation :dunno:

Anywayz i'll be dropping by some carpentry workshop these few days so can find out more on this. :P

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying and erms.. what to do when you are new to the forum. LOL.. Will try to figure it out. Found some stuff online on repainting which is to sand it down then apply primer the paint. But indeed not very lasting.

Hello sgling,

aiyo~ you reposted at the same heading. :drunk: Was thinking you can repost under Renovation forums in Renovation works :sport-smiley-004:

Hmmm your cabinets look new leh... how come want the change? You dun like the color? :ph34r:

Anywayz relaminating and painting over existing laminate has no guarantees on how long it can last. :dunno:

It depends alot on the existing conditions of the cabinets and the laminates, especially the edges and corners where is is easiest to wear and tear.

Pros:

- Cost saving as there is no need to change the whole cabinet :blink:

Cons:

- No guarantee :(

- For relaminating, the thickness will increase thus might affect the opening and closing of the doors

- If cabinets are built in, it will be hard to relaminate certain areas :bangwall:

- For spray painting, lots of protection needed for the other items in the same area if cabinet is built in. :ph34r:

- Spray painting can only change color but the design is still the same :paint:

- Alot of limitations which can only be analysed upon seeing onsite condition/ situation :dunno:

Anywayz i'll be dropping by some carpentry workshop these few days so can find out more on this. :P

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying and erms.. what to do when you are new to the forum. LOL.. Will try to figure it out. Found some stuff online on repainting which is to sand it down then apply primer the paint. But indeed not very lasting.

Yupz u r right. Have to use the super fine sandpaper sand the existing laminate down first. Then will the paint stay on. Or use a kind of primer to 'roughen' up the surface. Wellz as said protecting the existing items in the room might be more of the headache :jawdrop: tho the cabinet doors can be removed and sprayed elseware. It's the rest of the laminated cabinet which will be an issue. :bangwall:

Mike