Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
spiffysue

A House Is Not A Home

Confirming design, layout and hacking

As we were pretty sure of what we wanted, we shared this with T. He discussed with us on the feasibility as well as adding advice here & there, whenever required.

These are some of the requested aspects we wanted included in our place:

- cement screed floors

- vinyl for the rooms

- matt black window frames

- exposed brick

- subway tiles

- open kitchen concept + island

- convert Master Bedroom into a WIW

Hacking began as soon as we collected keys.

We hacked:

- the storeroom

- the wall between kitchen and living

- half the wall between kitchen and balcony --> so that more light can enter the kitchen

- a door between Master bedroom and bedroom 3

Initially, we wanted to hack the entire wall between Master bedroom and bedroom 3. We wanted to replace it with a sliding glass door, so that the entire WIW would be seen when in the bedroom. Something like this:

WIW-glassslidingdoor_zpsb7de2a5d.jpg

Sadly... we couldn't do that, because we would be facing the TOILET. hahaha, imagine lying in bed and staring at a toilet bowl. ;)

Edited by spiffysue

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I bought opposite the library. Also 400+

:)

Mine is also under the 5room category (5A) but it's 2 units of 3 rooms hacked into one (by government) so I get 4 bdrms as well :)

WOW that is really cool.. great area too, very central :)

Windows

When hacking began, I sourced for my own window guy instead of IDs contact.

I found the infamous Alex and contacted him. He came down for a site visit to access my windows and give me a quotation.

Unfortunately, my bedroom windows (the lovely cottage ones - pictured below) cannot be changed because they are 3/4 length :( He told me if we want them changed, we would have to get a PE to endorse. And this costs $3500!!!!

ec46bf3132521_1_V550_zps791adee6.jpg

We were too excited and didn't check the windows properly. They are in really bad condition. Some of them don't have handles. The metal is very dirty and the owner pasted solar film which melted over time. So gross.

Alex advised us to not spend money changing. He said he would replace all the handles for FREE for me. And he can arrange a window chemical wash to clean them up. I was very impressed with his attitude. We agreed to do our windows with him. We changed all other windows in the house, and chose a matte black frame.

He invited me down to his factory to take a look at the metal. We then told him that we don't like thin frames, and asked if he had a thicker one. He did... and when we couldn't imagine how it looked (because the factory doesnt have full window frame samples - only small pieces of metal), he actually invited us to his own flat to take a look!! Because he himself chose the thicker frames and its just so kind of him to welcome us into his own home.

His level of patience and customer service standards are really superb. Workmanship is good too. I'd recommend him to anyone doing windows!

Here's some pics:

IMG_5441_zpsbf547e0a.jpg

IMG_5448_zps8ee62873.jpg

IMG_5447_zps5f4bd39c.jpg

Hi spiffysue! How's the renovation coming along? Hope it's going better!

hey there, we're almost done.. we're left with fixing of the toilet towel racks etc, final coat of paint.. and touch-ups for all the rectification needed.

we also need to do a layer of sealant for our floor cos we did cement screed. hoping we'll be able to have our place in move-in condition by this weekend!

hey there, we're almost done.. we're left with fixing of the toilet towel racks etc, final coat of paint.. and touch-ups for all the rectification needed.

we also need to do a layer of sealant for our floor cos we did cement screed. hoping we'll be able to have our place in move-in condition by this weekend!

Looking forward to move-in pics. Any 3Ds or drawings to whet our appetite in the mean time? :sport-smiley-018:

Kitchen + Toilets

Here's some pics of the kitchen + toilets in midst-construction.. this was taken ard august i think:

Kitchen island being constructed..

IMG_3613_zpsc21096cc.jpg

IMG_3614_zps63b2a16d.jpg

Common Toilet..

IMG_3627_zps2cec343a.jpg

Master Toilet..

Don't have any pics yet. We're attempting quite a brave thing.. we're painting the non-shower area instead of tiling. We used a form of weathershield paint and got it in a custom dark blue. Shower area + floors are tiled white. Reason we decided to paint is there's a huge *** sewage pipe in the master. And i realized that no matter how you try to paint it to be similar to the tile color, it never gets camouflaged. So might as well just paint all.

Pic that gave me inspiration:

IMG_3376_zpsd4ac31ae.jpg

Rooms

Some sneak peaks right after painting (1st 2 coats) and lights were installed. We were testing the track lights, so excuse the alternate lights on the track, lol.

Master bedroom:

IMG_3802_zps33b21904.jpg

WIW before cabinets were installed:

IMG_3815_zpsb9c8bba6.jpg

Guest room:

IMG_3816_zpsa1d1efda.jpg

Guest room right after vinyl flooring was laid:

IMG_3827_zps3879652b.jpg

Edited by spiffysue

Rooms

Some sneak peaks right after painting (1st 2 coats) and lights were installed. We were testing the track lights, so excuse the alternate lights on the track, lol.

Master bedroom:

IMG_3802_zps33b21904.jpg

Love your fan! Mind sharing where you got it from?

Wow huge kitchen! Envious. Love the older HDBs for their squarish layouts.

Is that a relite fan?

Halo! How's the progress of your kitchen island :)

Your squarish kitchen sure looks big.

I am staying around that area too as I recognise the blocks of flats taken from your unit :sport-smiley-004:

Hello Spiffy,

Following the progress of your renos now. Love how everything's turning out.

Slow and steady wins the race :P

I think there's nothing wrong with using paint in the bathroom. In fact, it's a much cheaper option than tiling. And you can use the money saved to buy quality accessories. The plain, untiled walls will really make them stand out because of the contrast (plain vs something interesting).

We didn't do much to our bathrooms and left them mainly in stock condition. So, boring HDB floor and wall tiles. When the renos ended, they honestly looked really boring and unimpressive, even incomplete. But it looked a lot different after we added in the accessories! It's amazing what a big difference accessories can make. For example, we added a quality shower curtain (polyester fabric, not PVC) with a lovely design and wow right away, the bathroom looked that much better.

I also think in terms of aesthetic value-add, accessories often give you more bang for buck, especially with ridiculous per foot run charges for built-in carpentry or masonary work.

Are you going to leave the hollow block kitchen counter exposed?

And did you say you're going with a cement screed floor in the common areas?

hi spiffy,

saw you use vynil for the guest room, are you going to use vynil for the rest of bedrooms too?

i am considering to use vynil too, but still undecided. done some research it can outgas toxic chemical. :unsure:

laminate is a no no due to wrap issue and non-water resistant. initially wanted homogenous, but HTB want cozy feels.

still cannot make up my mind :dunno: