Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eekenji

How Many Sockets Maximum?

Husband wanted to have 10 sockets installed in our new study room but contractor didn't recommend and he suggested us to use extension .. I have the same thoughts, 10 sockets were too much. What do you guys think?

Husband want to use these sockets for 2 laptops, 1 monitor, 1 printer, 2 handphone chargers, 1 keyboard, 1 guitar, 1 camera drybox ...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It can be done.

But it's not a good use of money. Each socket costs $50++ to install. Using a power strip extension cord / adapter is a far cheaper option.

The only reason why you'd want to install 10 sockets is if you really, really must hide the wiring, or if each socket will draw a significant amount of amperage. Each socket supports 13 Amps. So if you want to run say 3 devices which each use 5 Amps, having one socket will not be enough, and therefore you cannot use a power strip sharing just one socket.

But very, very few consumer electrical appliances use that much. Even your aircon doesn't consistently use 5A. Most devices only require milliAmps, or 1/1000th of an Amp.

I have 10 in one room.

All strategically located.

4x near monitor/cpu/printer/tv/media player/speakers/modem/router. (Actually 1x/2x + extension cab be better here)

2x for floor light and aromadiffuser

2x for walk in wardrobe area's salt lamp, 1 empty.

2x for standing fan and air filter.

It's not economical if you have it all stashed in one area, not a bad idea if they are located on different walls/areas. You have to plan your room layout and furniture first, easier to decide how many you need.

Edited by lawry

I will recommend you to use Power Socket in Track system for your study room.

The only downside for now is the cost. As for branding, too many brand (as long as don't get from china one can liao)

Try to get brand from Aust or Euro side safer.

Our home has to 4-6 sockets per room as we do not like to see extension wires.

Try to use the double sockets(S$60), they are cheaper than 2 x single sockets( 2 x S$40)

For more information about our hdb renovation, see here

It definitely can be done. But electricians will not want to do it, citing multiple reasons to dissuade you to do it. Cos is very siong for them. if I am not wrong, they need to calculate an draw power for the sockets from different circuit breakers, to ensure each sockets does not bust the current limit from circuit breaker. They will need to pull cables from multiple places to your study.

I initially also wanted 10 power sockets at my tv console (already counted everything I want to put there and it works out to be about 10)

Electrician dissuade me from doing, saying "aiyah, need so much for what. After I count the equipment to add up the number to him, he says u wun put so many thing there one lar etc)

In the end I gave in. Now my TV console is in quite a mess. Electrician installed with 6 sockets, which is not enuf. Now I have 2 x 5 socket powers strips and multi plugs all over the place. (so my 10 sockets is actually an under estimate)

My advise is, dun give in, if u feel u really need to many. Else, if u have a good place to deploy those power strips, using power strips is actually cheaper. Cos electrican normally charge $50++ per socket, 10 sockets already cost $500. Whereas a 5 socket power strip can be as low as $20.

Edited by hawthorne