Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jjbinks

Newbie Questions

Hi all,

I've got a newbie question and hope some of you experts can help. I'm going to engage a builder.

1) What's the "usual" payment schedule? e.g. ?% deposit, ?% when what work is completed, any % held back after completion?

2) Who bears the utilities bill when construction is being done? I've heard that the contractor bears, if that's so how is this done?

Thanks in advance!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I've got a newbie question and hope some of you experts can help. I'm going to engage a builder.

1) What's the "usual" payment schedule? e.g. ?% deposit, ?% when what work is completed, any % held back after completion?

-Deposit, could be 10-20% but i paid 10%

-Appropriate amount when they have completed certain job. Eg. When they completed Temporary hoarding, insurance etc etc for that month then they'll send you the invoice and you pay. When they finish lights, you pay for electrician bills etc. Hold back 5% after completion but depends some say 5-10%.Remember, don't stupid stupid like my parents generation pay lump sum then contractor jabok

2) Who bears the utilities bill when construction is being done? I've heard that the contractor bears, if that's so how is this done?

Builder will bear but the moment PUB and SP Services install new facilities then you'll have to open account under your name so you'll start to pay first but remember to collate your bills and ask contractor to refund you. Honestly, the amount wasn't big for me, less than $30 for 3months before i moved in so i just paid myself. Give and take. Before PUB and SP Services lay cables outside your house, builder will apply for temporary permit so they have their own account to pay for electricity and water which they use during construction purposes but honestly, this amount is actually factored inside your quotation when you sign contract just that they hide it under utilities or other charges.

Edited by pantieileen

-Deposit, could be 10-20% but i paid 10%

-Appropriate amount when they have completed certain job. Eg. When they completed Temporary hoarding, insurance etc etc for that month then they'll send you the invoice and you pay. When they finish lights, you pay for electrician bills etc. Hold back 5% after completion but depends some say 5-10%.Remember, don't stupid stupid like my parents generation pay lump sum then contractor jabok

Builder will bear but the moment PUB and SP Services install new facilities then you'll have to open account under your name so you'll start to pay first but remember to collate your bills and ask contractor to refund you. Honestly, the amount wasn't big for me, less than $30 for 3months before i moved in so i just paid myself. Give and take. Before PUB and SP Services lay cables outside your house, builder will apply for temporary permit so they have their own account to pay for electricity and water which they use during construction purposes but honestly, this amount is actually factored inside your quotation when you sign contract just that they hide it under utilities or other charges.

thanks pantieileen! good advice :good: yes, will ensure that I don't pay full upfront. Read in the other threads of some contractors who took the big deposit and ran! :jawdrop:

Edited by jjbinks

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

It is your responsibility to pay utility bill because house is your not the other person. And the deposit and percentage can be decide on the time of contract. So its depends on conpany what percentage will tehy take as depisit and after completion of renovation.

It is your responsibility to pay utility bill because house is your not the other person. And the deposit and percentage can be decide on the time of contract. So its depends on conpany what percentage will tehy take as depisit and after completion of renovation.

For most established, utilities are paid by the builders. They have a special account that they apply from SP Services and these would be used for water and power during construction phases. Alternatives, your builder can reimbursed back the utilities incurred in your account.

But if you are rich and do not mind paying $400-500 plus a month on utilities and then realisd that your project has not started but you continuously pay for utilities then good for you! Well, that's just what my neighbor did for 1 entire year until we rang them up and notify them United Nations of construction workers and even prostitutes are staying at their un-renovated house in living conditions