Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oneuser

Help: Run Network Cable From Hall To Bedroom

Not sure whether this is the appropriate place to post this question, but really appreciate any advice/suggestion on how to get it done.

Here's the current setup: The Fiber Optic Terminal is installed in the hall, but I would prefer to have a wired connection from the terminal/ONT to my desktop in the master bedroom. Thus I need to find a way to run the network cable.

However, the existing cable is running as shown in the picture below, and I don't know whether there is a possible way to just put the new network cable in the existing trunking and just push/pull through/along the false ceiling corners into the master bedroom. I don't think the previous renovation left any wiring for such purpose, but I do find out that: there is a telephone line inside the trunking, and if I plug either the telephone port in the hall, or the port in the master bedroom, the lines are connected--I can make calls. does this mean I can use this telephone wire as a "pulling assistance" for the wired network cable?

Or do I really have to crack the ceiling in order to put the cable in? If this is the case, how much work needs to be done in order to make everything as tidy as it's now?

Thank you for the advice.

The pictures are taken in sequence from hall to bedroom.

1. In hall: The existing trunking (with telephone cable/power cable inside) running up to hall ceiling. Is this a false ceiling kind of thing?

8384973665_5a23096ba3_b.jpg

2. From hall to bedroom: entering to the bedroom.

8384973599_a2ec9e0082_b.jpg

3. In bedroom: entering the bedroom. False ceiling decoration again? all the way until next picture

8386056442_9a00843053_b.jpg

4. In bedroom: from ceiling running down to the existing telephone port/power ports.

8384973579_9311c357b2_b.jpg

Edited by oneuser

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Bro, I have the similar situation and I am cracking my head. I think in ur case, it is not as straight forward as using the

telephone wire as "threading assistance" to thread it through... Cos if successful, u are cool. If not, u will be in deep

s*it :bangwall:

Mine is no better. Because my reno wall tiling n ceiling are up liao. And the best part is previous owner didnt take up ON's

offer of "bringing in" the fibre. So now I gotta spend 200+ to get it done. I am contemplating to use Homeplugs such as Aztech,

D-Link etc to solve my problems as they make us of electrical wires.

To make matter worse, I not only need internet signal, I also need to have the mio TV signal. So if my "experiment" gets me

internet, its only half problem solved. hahaha :o cos still got mio TV, dunno can or not. So I will have to talk to technical

people to understand further :bow:

Bro, I have the similar situation and I am cracking my head. I think in ur case, it is not as straight forward as using the

telephone wire as "threading assistance" to thread it through... Cos if successful, u are cool. If not, u will be in deep

Mine is no better. Because my reno wall tiling n ceiling are up liao. And the best part is previous owner didnt take up ON's

offer of "bringing in" the fibre. So now I gotta spend 200+ to get it done. I am contemplating to use Homeplugs such as Aztech,

To make matter worse, I not only need internet signal, I also need to have the mio TV signal. So if my "experiment" gets me

internet, its only half problem solved. hahaha :o cos still got mio TV, dunno can or not. So I will have to talk to technical

Your TP for the opennet will need to be connected to a modem and from this modem then only you will get connected to mio box.

When you pay 200+ for the fiber to go into your unit, just remember where you want your mio to be then ask them terminate the fiber cable there.

I tried using homeplug for mio tv in another room but it didn't work, best bet is still lay a cat5/6 cable to the room if you need mio tv.

If you dont intend to hide the wire under ur "false ceiling" call singtel can already , run cat 5a $80 dollars only

for TS,

i will advice you to lay new..sharing lan cable with the existing trunking which is already cramp with existing wires especially electrical wires will cause interference,its for your own good and lesser headache in the future.

homeplugs will cause intermittent internet signal.bandwith transfer over the power lines will cause power surge and inconsistent connection especially to Miotv,you will notice jerking and pixelation .internet signal intermittent.

yah singtel will charge you $80 w/o gst for lan cable cat 5/5e from ONT===RG/Modem,addl wiring as per order.eg from RG/Modem to devices/desktop.Drilling required case by case basis,no conceal wiring,only surface trunking.For landed owner dont expect to get this pricing.its more complicated if it involve floor to floor.you will be charge a external contractor quote.

chc is incompatible for fibre connection to miotv or even desktop for internet connection regardless of ISP.some use it as a wireless repeater.Use @ your own risk,if technican come troubleshoot,will report back homeplugs used and causing intermittent and inconsistent speed.no horse run...

I do this for a living =)

Edited by Freakerz

Not sure whether this is the appropriate place to post this question, but really appreciate any advice/suggestion on how to get it done.

Here's the current setup: The Fiber Optic Terminal is installed in the hall, but I would prefer to have a wired connection from the terminal/ONT to my desktop in the master bedroom. Thus I need to find a way to run the network cable.

However, the existing cable is running as shown in the picture below, and I don't know whether there is a possible way to just put the new network cable in the existing trunking and just push/pull through/along the false ceiling corners into the master bedroom. I don't think the previous renovation left any wiring for such purpose, but I do find out that: there is a telephone line inside the trunking, and if I plug either the telephone port in the hall, or the port in the master bedroom, the lines are connected--I can make calls. does this mean I can use this telephone wire as a "pulling assistance" for the wired network cable?

Or do I really have to crack the ceiling in order to put the cable in? If this is the case, how much work needs to be done in order to make everything as tidy as it's now?

Thank you for the advice.

The pictures are taken in sequence from hall to bedroom.

1. In hall: The existing trunking (with telephone cable/power cable inside) running up to hall ceiling. Is this a false ceiling kind of thing?

8384973665_5a23096ba3_b.jpg

2. From hall to bedroom: entering to the bedroom.

8384973599_a2ec9e0082_b.jpg

3. In bedroom: entering the bedroom. False ceiling decoration again? all the way until next picture

8386056442_9a00843053_b.jpg

4. In bedroom: from ceiling running down to the existing telephone port/power ports.

8384973579_9311c357b2_b.jpg

I think that the first option to explore is whether the telephone cable embedded in the trunking runs from the ONT to the bedroom.

If so, then you may opt to convert this cable for networking, assuming that it is at least CAT 5.

Cheers!

Hi Oneuser, I think you should try the next alternative using the Homeplug system. It removes the costly networking cables but utilize the exisiting electrical house network to achieve the networking function.

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions & recommendations!

After reading the advices, it may be a good idea to just use homeplug or wireless adapter for the connection, instead of going through the painful renovation work just for a wiring... Sad the cable was not laid out in the first place...

BTW, let's say we're renovating a new place, is it possible to have a wire installed in the trunking just for the purpose as a "pulling assistance", for future addition of wires such as this case? I'm a layman in renovation works... just wondering how it can be done :D

A big THANK YOU to everyone! Have a wonderful day ahead~

hi Lauer,thanks for the advice, the telephone cable is just a normal homeline telephone cable, not network cable, so I guess that's not possible?

thanks.

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions & recommendations!

After reading the advices, it may be a good idea to just use homeplug or wireless adapter for the connection, instead of going through the painful renovation work just for a wiring... Sad the cable was not laid out in the first place...

BTW, let's say we're renovating a new place, is it possible to have a wire installed in the trunking just for the purpose as a "pulling assistance", for future addition of wires such as this case? I'm a layman in renovation works... just wondering how it can be done :D

A big THANK YOU to everyone! Have a wonderful day ahead~

This will depend large on the size of the trunking used and how much space left inside the trunking. I doubt very much space left. Before you attempt to try, best to check how pack the trunking is 1st.

hi Lauer,thanks for the advice, the telephone cable is just a normal homeline telephone cable, not network cable, so I guess that's not possible?

thanks.

Wah, you meant those old type telephone wire? Got photo?

This type never tried before.

Cheers!

please allow me to bring up this old topics...

I'm using homeplug now but the speed is really not good. Is there any possible way to add the Cat6 network cable through false ceiling without breaking it?

Any contractor/electrician here to recommend?

Thank you all~~