Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Seewichai

The Northern Champions

I have been around in renotalk for sometimes and the most interesting forum column to me would be Reno T-blog Chat. Most of the knowledge and inspiration that I have gained are from this forum and even the contractor that I had chosen to work on my unit. I want to thank forummers such as pinkwhale, Zermatt, lancified, nick34, chling and theitsybits for their advice and suggestions.

Chapt 1: The Day

The application for this BTO flat wasn’t my first attempt, the first was for Marsiling which I didn’t get. However, HDB invite me for the SOBF which I declined. The second attempt is for Woodlands BTO and was successful. If I can recall, the letter of invitation to select was in 2009 and my queue number was 0076. The process was rather fast and I noticed that people are more pragmatic and less superstitious now. Those that are termed as ‘unlucky’ numbers with ‘4s’ or those sound inauspicious were already snapped up. Signed on the dotted line and the wait begin.

Fast Forward >>>>>>

HDB does have some weird sense of humour. The letter arrives for invite to collect the keys and the appointment date falls on my birthday.

Fast Forward >>>>>>>>> (again)

Thankfully I do not have to apply leave to collect the keys as the staff are given birthday off. Finally it’s our turn to go in and the process is kind of indescribable... just say that we were serve by a rigid CSM. The duration was rather long with a lots of long awkward pauses in between. Kept looking at the time hopefully able to get in time for the auspicious timing to open the door. Thought of rushing the uncle CSM but then again better not. When the keys are finally placed on my hands, we quickly dashes out with me paying for the necessary bills and my family buying fresh fruits. A few minutes later, we were already on the way to our new home.

8676257317_80493597e2_b.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thankfully we reached in time for the auspicious timing. When opened the main door, first thing that greeted me was a pile of advertising flyers... How do they get in the first place? The despatch must be a professional carrom player. The first things which I lay my eyes on and felt dislike are the floor tiles and skirtings. All of them. The skirtings are pieces of wood painted over. As for the floor tiles, I had already heard about the issues from my fellow neighbours. They mentioned that the tiles are rather hard to maintain. Especially when after mopping the floor, there will be some 'whitish' patches appears on the tiles. The feel on the tiles are rather rough as well. After inspecting the whole house and noticed many warped tiles and noticeable misalignment, hacking them off will be the main item on my list. Other than that, I'm quite happy.

The flat is airy and with constant breezes, I am glad that it is not the same with my old flat. Nice view and right before the block, there is a playground for my daughter to play at.

As confirmed by all new house owners, the kitchen is indeed.... small.

8676538233_2b8e904eae.jpg8677852336_165eed0c99.jpg8676538131_d8650a11b2.jpg

8677886286_7f1de9d06b.jpg8676537557_b91b69f850.jpg

Edited by Seewichai

Hi bro, congrats on ur new flat! :)

Ya, like many BTO owners, the first thing on their mind is to hack!! Hack care the premium paid for a BTO in the 1st plc.. lol! :lol:

Njoy ur reno journey & looking forward to ur updates & pics! Cheers! :yamseng:

Edited by jus4fun

Thank you jus4fun & mrmerry

Actually I thought of overlay the toilets' wall tiles as well since I am doing the overlaying of the toilets' floor tiles. After some calculation, I decided against overlaying the wall. I think including the doors, the option from HDB cost about $4K. Kinda sayang the price but since me and family going to stay for long, hack care and do it.

Hi i ventured upon another bro (Bengologist)'s t-blog (Let's Go Punggol). He has the exact same layout as urs. U 2 can make friend & xchange notes & share ur reno journeys together... haha :)

Edited by jus4fun

Hi i ventured upon another bro (Bengologist)'s t-blog (Let's Go Punggol). He has the exact same layout as urs. U 2 can make friend & xchange notes & share ur reno journeys together... haha :)

Cool, thanks!

Chpt 2: Appointing the General

Like everyone, you need to select the most capable general to assist you in leading the battle. If not there will be chaos and your lift be miserable. Initially I had only pursue after 2 contractors since I already have in mind what are the design that I want. Minimalist Scandinavian with dabs of wood, white and black after much long research and deliberation. As I do not want to go through of the hassle to see numerous contractors or repeating myself over and over again, I targetted 2 contractors in the first place. But that expanded to 5 instead.

1) D Int***** I** & D***** PL - A friend's recommendation. Spoke with the designer and informed her my requirements, arranged for a day where herself and her boss to come down to the site for accessment. Spoke for sometimes while the designer provides ideas, the boss provides technical ideas on some of the ideas are feasible or not. It was interesting when both designer and the boss debating against each other on some of the ideas floated. At the end of the conversation, the designer mentioned that will email the quotation but it only arrives much much later. It seems that most of the coordinating works are manage by the designer while the boss coordinating the procurement and sub cons. Unfortunately during the shortlisting period, there are some minor hiccups. The designer was on long medical leave. At the 2nd meetup at site, the boss called up at 5 minute before the appointment time to cancel the meeting, a bad point for me cos I am already there waiting. Subsequently at the 3rd meetup, he was late for 45 mins and I had rushed from workplace to the site. It was already almost dark when he arrives, plus the best part was he had assumed I have the copy of the quotation which I told him I did not have, even I had prompt the designer many times. Told my friend about this and he said to drop them.

2) H** In***** Re******* - Called and arrange for a site discussion. Came down promptly on time and came across like a man with no nonsense type. When I begin to talk about what I want, he took out a piece of my floor plan and begin to scribble down. Most of the time he understood what I want when I tried to describe what I want to do at certain location of the house. Some of the time he offered solutions and suggestions which I had overlooked. At the end of the discussion, was impressed by him as a practical man and someone who are conscious of his work. He promised to give his quotation in 3 days and voila! 3 days I received his quotation.

3) Unknown Firm - The contractor's number was given by a friend. Called to arrange for a date to come down to site for discussion. Two men came down, initially was a little put off with their 'brutish' manner. I guess the other older man sensed it and toned down a bit. The older man was more experienced than his younger counterpart and gave a few good ideas. Did not ask for a namecard as I already marked them off from my list. After conclusion, the older man promised to send a quotation. A few days later, I got an a sms version of the quotation and in Chinese...

4) U** Co********** P** L** - Got to know the boss of this firm is by chance, I was actually enquiring about haulage stuff with HDB and they referred me to him. After some conversation, the boss offered to access my site and a quotation. I was thinking why not, and a date arranged to see him. A decent man who claims to do commercial building renovation as well. He had prepared a simple quotation for hacking and was rather surprised at the low charges for the hacking. Unfortunately his quotation after rounded up wasn't cheap as well even the hacking was extremely low price.

5) Ge***** ID En******** - Was at the neighbourhood mall buying some stuff before going to the new house and chance upon this ID firm. Was actually looking at some of the tiles display outside the shop. The ID came out to greet me and subsequently followed him into his office and have a short discussion. Arranged the same date with 4) for him to access the place. Soft spoken and seems to know what we want, promised to give us a quotation 2 weeks later. He said that his brother is getting married in M'sia so hence the long wait. He promised to give us the quotation the first thing when he comes back. His quotation came back and was rather surprised. His quotation was the lowest among all. Most of the rest was in the 30ish range while his was in the 20ish range. Felt curious and asked him of why his pricing so competitive. He informed that since the site was so near that he could simply walk there and they have their own factory and hence the good price.

After collating all the quotation, the elimination begins.

Arranged with the selected contractor to meet up for the final time. Informed him that I am in the final stage of selection and would like to finalised the renovation details that I want and so that he can give me a revised quotation. What I like about this contractor is that, what he said and he delivers. He arrives early for our appointments & one time earlier than me. When he say he will give the revised (there are a couple of revised versions) quotation by certain date, I will see them at those date. To me, these tell something about the contractor.

After getting the finalised quotation, I informed the contractor to start the work on the auspicious date and time to start the work. Also, it's time for shopping.

Wow a contractor who is on time and meets the quotation deadline? That is definitely a good sign! Enjoy shopping!

Wow a contractor who is on time and meets the quotation deadline? That is definitely a good sign! Enjoy shopping!

Yeah, read all the horror stories about irresponsible contractors, IDs etc etc. More horrifying than having Jason with his machete hunting you. However, don't really like to go from shops to shops, I rather purchase everything I need from the same shop and ask them for a good discount. But that will be another post to come.

Welcome to the North! I'm loving the neighbourhood and the greenery :) all the best with your reno!

Thanks! Actually I am from North and moving in North. Being a Northerner since 2001.

Hi.

Seems like we're using the same contractor. And yes he's freaking punctual. He even called me to inform that he'll be 5 mins late. Haha.

You'll be in safe hands as he's super duper organised. Just that you may need to remind him on detailed things occasionally as he's super busy.

Arranged with the selected contractor to meet up for the final time. Informed him that I am in the final stage of selection and would like to finalised the renovation details that I want and so that he can give me a revised quotation. What I like about this contractor is that, what he said and he delivers. He arrives early for our appointments & one time earlier than me. When he say he will give the revised (there are a couple of revised versions) quotation by certain date, I will see them at those date. To me, these tell something about the contractor.

After getting the finalised quotation, I informed the contractor to start the work on the auspicious date and time to start the work. Also, it's time for shopping.

Edited by macuser77

Hi.

Seems like we're using the same contractor. And yes he's freaking punctual. He even called me to inform that he'll be 5 mins late. Haha.

You'll be in safe hands as he's super duper organised. Just that you may need to remind him on detailed things occasionally as he's super busy.

Morning. Yep, actually the house is already 3/5 done. Most of my items have yet bought and I rather buy those ex stock that are available than waiting for couple of months. My contractor would just tell me, "Ok, it's time for you to buy aircon. Then I go buy aircon. "Ok, it's time for you to buy lightings." Then I go and buy. No stress at all.

Also, it is so challenging to upload pictures on Flickr.