Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bengologist

Let's Go Punggol!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Mine worse, Saturday also don't work :(

Wah ur contractor makan u leh.. No wonder such slow progress (din c much of ur updates).. Hopefully 慢工出细货 lo! I'm sure it will turn out gd for u! Cheers! :)

@makan, mine is alternate saturdays lol :rolleyes:

@beng, hope ur "confrontation" with ur ID will push him to focus more on ur site :thumbs up:

Although the selection of the ID pose a huge headache to me, I managed to scan through the list thoroughly and make my selection quickly.

However, the headache did not cease there, as the next bigger headache came hitting on my head :bangwall: - Electrical Appliances/Furniture/Lightings

As much as I want to adhere my spending strictly to my budget plan, I realized that my immune system to visually appealing items is almost close to zero and this means that I have to pay an extra price for my exorbitant taste-bud.

I start my search for electrical appliances, furniture and lighting as early as 5th April (remember Ikea?) and spend the next few weeks roaming around the streets of Geylang, Joo Chiat, Jalan Besar, Balestier etc for the right additions to my house.

I will begin with lightings.

LIGHTINGS

Before I begin my hunt, I met up with my ID to discuss the number of lighting points he proposed to install in my house and the kind of lights I am require to buy. Frankly speaking, I know nuts about selecting the suitable lights for every part of my house and I have to seek help in this forum. Even after reading pages after pages of information about lights (okay I lied, I just browse through them), I still find it difficult to transfer this wisdom into my 2MB human processing unit. However, I do understand something --> LED lights can save lots of energy, so it's the best. Hahaha! :lol:

Geylang Road -> Went there thrice to find lighting & bathroom wares shops (I stress it again, it's solely for lightings & sanitary wares, no other purposes).

i) Vlux - Step into Vlux and was immediately greeted by a 'bodyguard' who follow me around but didn't really explain anything. They have a good range of products but their price are equally ATAS!

ii) Lights Advance - Quite a decent selection of lightings, especially crystal chandeliers. Price range is average.

iii) lightings.com.sg - This outlet is relatively smaller than its counterparts in Balestier, Jalan Besar but the services provided by the Filipino saleslady is definitely the best among its peers. Despite the fact that I reiterate my point that I'm just window-shopping for lights and might not purchase any, she still smile and explain all the difference between LED, PLC, PLL lightings to me. Kudos to her! :good:

Joo Chiat -> Made a U-turn at Geylang Road and make my way to Joo Chiat just for this one outlet on a hot Sunday :o

i) Brilliant Source Lighting - Saw a few positive reviews about this shop and decided to do some exercise by walking a long distance to Joo Chiat Place from Geylang to find this tiny little shop. By the time I enter the shop, my shirt is already half-drenched in sweats. The price of their PLC downlights are really affordable at $25 per piece (if I didn't recall wrongly) but I wanted LED downlights. The selection is not a lot, so I made a move after a couple of minutes. Not really worth a trip unless you found something desirable on their website.

Jalan Besar -> Can't recall much except that I stepped into lighting.com.sg (opposite Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant) and Rad Son Lighting (beside Royal Franco bathroom wares).

Balestier -> This should be renamed as the Renovation Street of Singapore for its high number of renovation firms & lighting shops. LOL!

i) Chan Huat - The Big Brother of lighting shops along Balestier. You can easily find at least 4 outlets along the same road. Offer a great variety of lightings which come in all shapes and sizes. The price is also reasonable. However, the services varied from outlet to outlet, so anyone who wish to purchase lightings from them shouldn't be deterred just because of bad services in a particular outlet.

ii) Thomson Lighting (@ Shaw Plaza) - I was excited when I saw the big words "MASSIVE SALE" and immediately ran into the shop. After walking around and playing with the lighting switches, I took out my wallet and burnt a huge hole by ordering 5 units of LED lights for my bathrooms, kitchen and service yard. However I was satisfied :lol: with my purchase as the other outlets are selling the same type of LED lights at least 40% higher. The only downside is that I have to pick them up myself as my purchases are below the $500 free-delivery mark. :~ Shall upload the pictures later.

iii) LC Lighting Centre (@ Shaw Plaza) - I reckon they have the biggest display area in a single outlet along Balestier Road. However, I'm also confident that their high rental cost is also reflected in their lighting prices. I will advise shoppers to go there to get a 'feel' of the lightings you want to buy and go to other outlets for the same item, it will be cost-effective.

iv) Extreme Lighings - This shop is recommended by my friend who has purchased all her lightings in this shop with huge discounts. The varieties are not exactly what I'm seeking, so didn't hang around for too long in the shop.

v) Light + Form Concepts - Expensive Expensive Expensive

vi) Palace of Lights - I have read quite a number of negative remarks on the forum about this lighting shop, so I entered it with caution. However, I was greeted by an enthusiastic uncle who makes effort educating me on LED downlights. The best part? Their LED downlights (squares design with glass) are on promotion, selling each unit for only $38/- (exclusive of GST) :dribble: . I immediately placed an order of 11 units and told them to deliver during the 3rd week of May. I will upload the pictures later.

Thanks for your detailed review! I made a reference to your review on my t-blog, think it'll benefit many people! :good:

I am beginning to appreciate how lucky we are. The workers came down on these two days, both Saturday and Sunday to work. We feel quite bad to give them so little time to work cuz we need to an chuang by next Sunday... Although they are also behind time, as long as they can give us the bedroom for an chuang, they can take their time to do the kitchen.

Nice reading your t-blog! Hopefully your reno will be back on track soon!

Yo bro, thx for the kind words! Bcos of the folks, like u, i had gone for more a conventional contemporary approach n the worksmanship ok nia (though many of my friens n those who came for viewing - ya my ID got 3 groups of his potential clients to come view - oso said quite gd liao), but u make it sound like "wow"! Haha! :lol:

Think will try to go off track a little nex time for a more thematic, character look n feel! Hee hee! :P

Glad tt u r resolving ur issues wif ur ID n carpenter. Sure urs will turn up jus great too! Can't wait to c them :)

Anyway, like wat I put to another sis, 金屋银屋都不如自己的狗窩.. We r each proud owner of our own hse/hm.. Importantly is to njoy the stay - a plc to rest n recoup well - at the end of each hardworking day at work ya! Cheers! :)

PS. That time my workers no work on Sundays & PHs de! :(

Ha! Don't need to thank me buddy, I'm just stating the fact, your house is indeed renovated pretty well by 3D Innovative, so this directly provided me with a confidence boost for our similar ID. :good:

Yup me too! Next time if I have my own family and intend to do renovation again, I will throw in different ideas and themes to steer the dream home away from the typical home model. But for now, I'm equally contended with conventional model, as long as my folks are having a big grin on their faces every morning they look at it. :lol:

Yeah, I'm glad my ID & carpenter came down so that I can have a fine conversation with them about the schedule, renovation work, modifications, additions (Haha, you didn't read wrongly, I added things yet again :rolleyes: ). I totally agree with you on that statement "金屋银屋都不如自己的狗窩"! As long as at the end of the day, we are able to live comfortably and relax ourselves in the house, that house has already served its most important purpose. :good:

The workers doing my house renovation don't work on Sunday either. The only person working tirelessly on a hot afternoon last Sunday is.................me. :(

Mine worse, Saturday also don't work :(

Wah! Your workers are even better than me! I need to work 5.5 days. :~

@makan, mine is alternate saturdays lol :rolleyes:

@beng, hope ur "confrontation" with ur ID will push him to focus more on ur site :thumbs up:

Hahaha! My ID and I have no bad blood between us, we are still having a fantastic working relationship on my renovation project. In fact, we treat each others like good friends more than an agent-principal relationship. Haha! I guess he just need a little tuning in his time management so that he can run projects smoothly while sourcing for potential clients. :lol:

Thanks for your detailed review! I made a reference to your review on my t-blog, think it'll benefit many people! :good:

Hey autumnwind,

Thanks for dropping by my T-blog and making a reference of mine on yours, I'm pleased to hear that my experience can be of a help to you and many other new forummers who are looking for lightings. Afterall, to quote the famous sentence on Renotalk -> "Sharing is caring", so please feel free to refer to any piece of information here.

Cheers! :good:

yo, u mean working on d hse or at work on Sun? if the former, ya, tell me abt it! last yr this time, i oso working & sweating over my reno everyday & under wat such hot weather of Apr-May!! :lol:

I am beginning to appreciate how lucky we are. The workers came down on these two days, both Saturday and Sunday to work. We feel quite bad to give them so little time to work cuz we need to an chuang by next Sunday... Although they are also behind time, as long as they can give us the bedroom for an chuang, they can take their time to do the kitchen.

Nice reading your t-blog! Hopefully your reno will be back on track soon!

Hardworking workers! You should probably 'reward' them a little by offering to buy them lunch or cold drinks so that they will be thankful to you and do a proper job on your bedroom despite the urgent request. Hahaha..

I suggest you do a check on the workmanship and find if there's any defects because urgent work might make them more prone to 粗心大意。I'm also rushing them to speed up the renovation process, so I'm definitely on the lookout for these. :unsure:

Anyway thank for your wishes. I also hope that your renovation will be smooth-sailing too!

Have a great great week! :jammin:

yo, u mean working on d hse or at work on Sun? if the former, ya, tell me abt it! last yr this time, i oso working & sweating over my reno everyday & under wat such hot weather of Apr-May!! :lol:

I mean working in the house on a hot Sunday. Bought a marker pen and went over to my house alone yesterday to carry out all the heavy boxes from the storeroom so that I can write the description on them (in English and Chinese) and rearranging them back in the storeroom. This will enable the workers to have an easier time locating the items for installation.

I'm guessing this is a process all homeowners must go through during the renovation in order to avoid any confusion or delay or miscommunication during the installation. If that's not the case, then perhaps we are the most diligent homeowners in Singapore. Hahaha! :lol:

20th May 2013

Time for a weekly update (I wish I can do daily update but progress is not fast enough :( ) !

As many of you have already known by now, I had a "showdown" with my ID and carpenter last weekend to talk about the renovation issues, highlight the slow progress and discussed about the layout of the kitchen cabinets/bedroom wardrobes which requires carpentary work. Despite my constant usage of words like "showdown", "confrontation", it was just a relaxed and casual talk about my renovation project they are working on and it was so much like talking to two friends that I even had the absurdity to inform my ID of my decision to ADD EXTRA WORK to the renovation. He was like :jawdrop: when I told him that I wanted to hack the existing toilet basins and replace with vanity sets (sink+cabinet combo). He must be thinking, "Can you don't add things one week at a time? One shot add everything will be easier for me." in his mind. :lol:

Anyway here are the latest photos from last weekend.

1) L-box and false ceiling done
20130518_150457_zps29d4f595.jpg

2) L-box and false ceiling pic 2 (from another angle)
20130518_151117_zps825378e7.jpg

3) Sketches of my kitchen cabinet layout by the carpenter (looks like stone-age drawings, hahahaha... :lol: )
20130519_172032_zps7ca30637.jpg

4) Sketches of the casement wardrobe in one of the common bedroom
20130519_172158_zps68c417cc.jpg

5) Sketches of the sliding wardrobe and its layout in the master bedroom
20130519_172247_zpscafc1a7e.jpg

Edited by Bengologist