Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
choonkeat

How Should "newly Laid Parquet" Supposed To Be Like?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not sure how much I can trust the contractor(s) for replying along the lines of "it's like that" anymore.

Situation is: my parquet is new, laid over previous owner small mosaic tiles. The parquet supplier and contractor inspected and deem the floor "okay" for overlay, thus proceeded.

Here's what I thought I'd get when we chose parquet for the renovation: a solid feel. i don't feel the wood on the floor bending/sinking when I step (even on the edge of a piece of wood where it joins to another piece)

But that's not what it is now.

During renovation, I'd indicated problematic areas (literally an entire walkway). Fixes was done by injecting glue, further grinding, gluing edges using "502" glue, relacquering etc. The fella who did the final grinding say some problematic areas (he's not the original crew) he grind "5 times" and he'd refuse even if I ask him to fix again, otherwise the wood will be too thin and become damaged.

I've moved in for a few weeks. There are still many spots that sinks along the joins when I step. There seems to be even new joins where the pieces have "become uneven" -- i actually feel and know when i'm stepping between some pieces of wood.

I'm told "glue injection can't fix entirely"... "original laying of parquet, glue slightly not enough"... "not a problem caused by overlay; same might've happened otherwise"... "it takes a long time for the parquet to settle"... "will expansion and contraction".. and i should "give the parquet time, wait for 8 months or so"

So, I'm asking is this bull**** or real? Since I have minimal furniture now + built-in carpentry, should I get the contractor to redo the entire parquet (since it is too "thin to grind further"?). Since I can't trust this contractor anymore, who should I approach for a good fix?

Anyone who renovated with new parquet flooring pls advice how it was for you (at the beginning, weeks after, months after?)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Parquet usually is glued to the cement screed, and also nailed down to ensure the wood is firmly stuck to the ground while the glue dries.

The nails are removed once the glue dries, and filled with putty.

I do not know how they manage to hold the parquet strips down while the glue dries, as it's near impossible to nail through mosaic tiles. Perhaps they have some unique method.. but.. I suspect this is the reason why there is hollow feel.

What I was briefed before the reno was that "parquet need to sit for up to 3 weeks" for it to settle nicely and "people cannot walk around"

However during reno, it must be the next day or day after parquet being laid, when I visited the house, the electrician was already walking around, climbing ladders and doing his stuff. The parquet was not covered. When asked about "no walking around", the PM said light work can be done (though i see carpenters setting up wardrobes, plumbers walking around). When asked about the parquet not being covered, the PM said there'll be another round of grinding + lacquering (though even after that, no cardboard protection was laid over and people still walked around.. plumbers entered and left bathroom with water dripping.. oh well)

Separately, I consulted MrWoodVarnish and he did show me some pictures of how he'd lay plywood, then nails like yoongf mentioned. However he did indicate this is usually done for bigger pieces of wood -- not for parquet. I remarked that it seem like an awesome process and no reason it shouldn't be the norm for parquet too.

In any case... so what can/should I do now? I feel my parquet floor (almost typed "laminate" there, because that's how it feels like.. a 5 year old laminate floor) is not properly done. And the advice to "wait for months" for it to settle... I really can't see how the current floor "gets better" after a few more months.

Have heard of overlaying laminate on existing floor tile but first time I heard of overlaying parquet over floor tiles.

Is it possible to do so?

I agree with yoongf that parquet are glue to cement screed. Glue to tiles? Will the glue actually stick with tiles?

Maybe what the contractor did was just lay the parquet on the tiles (without glue), like laminate flooring. But is for your to investigate. If you have not paid full, maybe hold the payment. For the soft spots, ask them to open up and look (yourself) if there is any glue at those areas.

But this is jsut my opinion.

I'm pretty sure there's glue. Back when we were waiting for bi-fold door installations, the parquet floor was not terminated with a "nose" at the balcony ledge. I recall the pieces look stuck there, otherwise we'd have easily kicked up out or something if they were "laid over without glue"

So I'm gathering that

- I should not be feeling the "sink" feeling when stepping between two pieces of parquet EVEN if it is "new parquet", it is not supposed to be like that

- it is unheard of to lay parquet over tiles (separately, MrWoodVarnish did not seem surprise when I mention how the current parquet was done)

- parquet over cement screen should be glued + nailed in

The first night I moved in with aircon on, I did hear the "ticking sound" (rather creepy). My understanding is that's due to the contraction of wood. So I did experience that for 1-2 evenings but no more than that.

Is there a trustworthy parquet contractor/supplier I can contact to assess the current situation? I'm unwilling to go back to the original contractor (even though it is "right" for them to fix it) because I'm just so tired to deal with them any further (and after all these, i can't be sure if their next effort is any better)

I had laminate flooring for 6 years the first time round. Deteriorated and became squishy in the last 2 years.

Decided to hv parquet this time instead for a longer lasting solid feel (don't care as much about it looking shiny or sparkling new)... but now it is squishy from day one. Oh well