Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Unfortunately, the path to reno completion NEVER runs smooth. Needless to say, we were expecting some form of hiccup since we're buying so many things from Taobao - what we didn't expect was the magnitude of the hiccup as well as that it'll not be TB's fault, nor Peeka's fault - but of our own accord. WE BOUGHT THE WRONG SIZED TAPS! *groan*

This means that we'll have to sell away all the taps that we bought from Taobao and buy brand new ones from Singapore. Here's the photos of the taps that we've bought and now are unable to use -

1) Here's a photo of the Sellena kitchen sink which we LOVE. Sturdy and solid, I look forward to using this in our kitchen in the future -

6af3.jpg

However, that's where the happiness ends.

Imagine my pain and heartache when JT delivered the bad news to us - our kitchen sink tap was too big to be used. It arrived in perfect condition, but when we placed the order SIX weeks ago, as the reno newbies and idiots that we were, we totally forgot that there'll be kitchen cabinets (that are currently enter the final round of constructions and will be delivered on... Wednesday I think, if my memory serves me right) sitting above the kitchen sink. Which means that there's a height limit for the kitchen tap... and our kitchen tap is too tall.

6c5u.jpg

When we opened this particular box, I was eager to check the thing to make sure that it arrives in perfect condition etc. Then I noticed that JT was silent and giving it skeptical looks. Finally he piped up - "I think you guys bought the wrong size. It looks too big to me." Then he took it out of the box into the kitchen to measure - and he was right.... *heartbreak*

afpb.jpg

We can't even install the tap due to its height and the presence of cabinets above the sink. Since the kitchen carpentry is almost complete and about to be delivered, the only option left is to buy another tap from Singapore and sell away this one.

AND THAT'S NOT ALL FOLKS!

We also bought the wrong taps for the toilets. We were so pre-occupied with choosing nice designs that we liked (which fitted into our very tight budget) that we entirely forgot about functionality - this time the height is fine, but the nozzle isn't long enough for the tap to be used with our selected toilet basins. according to JT's measurements and mock up, the water will end up hitting the side of the basin and splashing onto the ground instead of nicely into the basin -

0w58.jpg

Conclusion? We are idiots and we've brought these problems onto ourselves, simply because we were so focused on buying nice things at a decent price and totally forgot about the importance of measurements and functionality. Worst thing is, JT's plumbers are coming in tomorrow to install everything already. Therefore, we now have no choice - JT has already called me up this morning - he'll drive down personally to buy the taps for the toilets and the kitchen this afternoon to make sure that the sizes are correct and that they'll be ready and waiting for the plumber's installation tomorrow. *facepalm*

Hopefully those reading this can learn from my mistakes and not commit the same errors that I did. Anyone interested in a brand new, gorgeous kitchen tap? *sad*

The hen's party sounds like good fun! :) Good that you took a break from the house reno...now full steam ahead!! "add oil"

your reno is fast! lucky gal! My place isn't quite ready yet...waiting for taobao stuff to arrive probably next week, then i can post more pictures of upstairs...having said that...gonna post the kitchen pictures in detail today

Actually... I'm a very shy person. EXTREMELY shy.

So the hen's party was a bit of a torture for me... I had get hugs, kisses etc from strangers - and the stipulated rule from my gals is that I can only get them from gorgeous strangers, quality control to be done by them. I was so embarrassed!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see detailed photos of your kitchen. It really is the centerpiece of your house.

If your house already looks this good, I can only imagine how much nicer it'll look when your taobao loots arrive. I assume this order will be made up of decorative items?

Haha, I encountered the same problem with the kitchen faucet mixer too! I got carried away and forgot to mention to carpenter that it is 70cm high.

So had to adjust my carpentry design. Fortunately above the kitchen faucet mixer is the dish rack, so I shifted it up. Unfortunately had four new holes to mend up.

Your house is coming into shape. Like your cove light idea, post the photo when it is done.

Thanks soonliew.

I initially wanted a chandelier as the staircase light, but my ID raised a valid point - because we're on the top floor, our ceiling is higher than normal. In the future when the light bulb burns out or if a replacement is required, we will need to bring in someone to get this simple task done. Due to the height, the handyman is going to charge us a bomb simply to carry out what in theory is an easy task.

Therefore JT (our ID / contractor) came up with the idea of a 12 ft long cove light with LED tubes (my memory is horrible, oh my god.... I think we bought 6 led tubes for the staircase cove light?) there so that it'll look better and we can easily change the tube if ever required.

Will certainly be posting photos as we go along. It's the final stretch!

Haha, I encountered the same problem with the kitchen faucet mixer too! I got carried away and forgot to mention to carpenter that it is 70cm high.

So had to adjust my carpentry design. Fortunately above the kitchen faucet mixer is the dish rack, so I shifted it up. Unfortunately had four new holes to mend up.

*sob*

I kept asking JT if there's a way we can salvage the situation and still get to use the kitchen faucet mixer because this is something that HTB and I really want (with substantial savings no less - if we buy the same thing from Singapore, the price will be VERY much higher).

I even got desperate enough to ask him to cut the kitchen cabinet's top row into half so that there's nothing above the kitchen sink and I can continue to use my purchased kitchen tap. He just looked at me incredulously.... he probably thinks I'm out of my mind.

Actually... I'm a very shy person. EXTREMELY shy.

So the hen's party was a bit of a torture for me... I had get hugs, kisses etc from strangers - and the stipulated rule from my gals is that I can only get them from gorgeous strangers, quality control to be done by them. I was so embarrassed!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see detailed photos of your kitchen. It really is the centerpiece of your house.

If your house already looks this good, I can only imagine how much nicer it'll look when your taobao loots arrive. I assume this order will be made up of decorative items?

actually the taobao loot will be mainly stuff like bar stools, study desk and chair...not really decorative...to me still under the essential tier. LOL. I also got mattress toppers etc. Should be exciting.

as for the hen's night...well...embarrassing at that moment...but priceless memories you have now.

btw, my kitchen post is up :)

Cannot shorten the top row of cabinets above the kitchen sink? The rest of the top row cabinets leave alone lor.

The kitchen faucet is too good to give up that easily!

However, that's where the happiness ends.

Imagine my pain and heartache when JT delivered the bad news to us - our kitchen sink tap was too big to be used. It arrived in perfect condition, but when we placed the order SIX weeks ago, as the reno newbies and idiots that we were, we totally forgot that there'll be kitchen cabinets (that are currently enter the final round of constructions and will be delivered on... Wednesday I think, if my memory serves me right) sitting above the kitchen sink. Which means that there's a height limit for the kitchen tap... and our kitchen tap is too tall.

We can't even install the tap due to its height and the presence of cabinets above the sink. Since the kitchen carpentry is almost complete and about to be delivered, the only option left is to buy another tap from Singapore and sell away this one.

AND THAT'S NOT ALL FOLKS!

Hopefully those reading this can learn from my mistakes and not commit the same errors that I did. Anyone interested in a brand new, gorgeous kitchen tap? *sad*

Dont be too hard on yourself, there are many things to consider when make purchases and most of the time cost and aesthetic are focus rather than, size, dimension

Had a friend bought a king size bed and ended up the wardrobe cannot be opened fully. Another champion friend gave wrong fridge dimension to ID end up tearing down top and bottom kitchen cabinet to resize.

Actually I think the situation still can be salvage, provided you have the time and budget. Since carpentry yet to be delivery and kitchen cabinets come in segments, you can redo the segment where the tap is located. Most of time the dish rack sit above the sink, you can 1) remove the dish rack totally or 2) using a stainless steel single deck draining "shelf" instead.

long-side-of-kitchen1.jpg

can you see my dish rack from this picture? Cut out a hole....where the cabinet was meant to be for the sink and dish rack...then adjust the rack...so that the tap will fit...it might not look ugly... i did that cos i like my dish rack open...and it looks fine.

actually the taobao loot will be mainly stuff like bar stools, study desk and chair...not really decorative...to me still under the essential tier. LOL. I also got mattress toppers etc. Should be exciting.

as for the hen's night...well...embarrassing at that moment...but priceless memories you have now.

btw, my kitchen post is up :)

I know, I just saw!

I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH YOUR KITCHEN!

I admire what you've managed to do with the lighting - like you said, it's bright and airy in the day but cool and cozy at night.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but it's absolutely gorgeous!

I have a very small, functional kitchen which after the FSM's tinkering, has a weird layout to it. *sad*

If you have 2D/3D drawing, maybe we can help to brainstorm a little more.

BTW do not let your ID coerced into believing nothing can be done. It is just about timing, schedule and cost.

I know, I just saw!

I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH YOUR KITCHEN!

I admire what you've managed to do with the lighting - like you said, it's bright and airy in the day but cool and cozy at night.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but it's absolutely gorgeous!

I have a very small, functional kitchen which after the FSM's tinkering, has a weird layout to it. *sad*

Hey small and functional is fine! Why don't you share some pictures...even floor plan with some handwritten scribbling will do...maybe we can help :)

for our kitchen, we knew it had to be cozy and warm after dinner so that we can chill out with a bottle of wine...and if we have friends over...the cozy lighting will entice them to stay longer :)

Cannot shorten the top row of cabinets above the kitchen sink? The rest of the top row cabinets leave alone lor.

The kitchen faucet is too good to give up that easily!

JT is quite adamant that we shouldn't be shortening the top row because it'll look very ugly. The HTB was away in Bangkok so we couldn't have a proper discussion. He only arrived back in Singapore very late last night.

Actually, my kitchen is split into 2 segments as follows:

a58.JPG

On the left side (the shorter side), the FSM was adamant that the stove and the kitchen basin be positioned there.

As you can see, it's a very cramped, small space. Initially, we will have a top row of cabinets on the top, above the stove and the basin.

If we cut off part of the top row to accomodate the kitchen faucet mixer, we've got a very odd half remaining above the stove. If it were on the opposite side (the right side of the photo which is much longer), then it would be different. I could do a cut-out / repositioning of the cabinets / dish racks as per Vanessa's photo above so as to make space for the oversized kitchen tap. *sigh*

In addition, JT just messaged me to tell me that he's bought the new taps already.

Dont be too hard on yourself, there are many things to consider when make purchases and most of the time cost and aesthetic are focus rather than, size, dimension

Had a friend bought a king size bed and ended up the wardrobe cannot be opened fully. Another champion friend gave wrong fridge dimension to ID end up tearing down top and bottom kitchen cabinet to resize.

Actually I think the situation still can be salvage, provided you have the time and budget. Since carpentry yet to be delivery and kitchen cabinets come in segments, you can redo the segment where the tap is located. Most of time the dish rack sit above the sink, you can 1) remove the dish rack totally or 2) using a stainless steel single deck draining "shelf" instead.

Oh my goodness.. your friends' cases with the king-sized bed and the wrong fridge dimension are such horror tales (and a little bit funny to imagine)

I think if it were me, I'll bag my head....

Thanks for making me feel better

If you have 2D/3D drawing, maybe we can help to brainstorm a little more.

BTW do not let your ID coerced into believing nothing can be done. It is just about timing, schedule and cost.

Actually he's not the one coercing me into believing that nothing can be done.

I'm the one who personally feels that having only half of the top row of kitchen cabinets on the short side of the kitchen looks very ugly

Thanks for all of the advice and the kind words.

The funny thing is that in terms of timing, schedule and cost, I really don't have much room left to play with.

Tentative handover date is the 30th of Oct - to accomodate our requests, not his.

Cost - we were embarking on mission impossible to begin with, so really, we came into this process mentally prepared that we'll have to forego certain design elements / items in order to keep to a relative budget. As sad as this makes me, the cheaper alternative really would be to use a normal kitchen tap instead of the nice one that we purchased.