Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lth3388

Anyhow Reno

After some viewing and searching, we'd finally bought our 3 rd HDB flat, a 5I unit at Tampines. This is our 2nd renovation experience but it feels so new to us as we renovated our 1st flat some 20 over years ago with our contractor friend. We were in our 20s and I basically let him took care of everything besides selecting tiles and lightings.

This time we planned well ahead and my OC also very much involved in the whole process and our house is considered done. I will be updating and uploading photos as and when I have the time. Of course to share and provide some info if needed but please bear with me if you don't hear from me immediately.

Well, although we planned ahead (even before we collected the keys), there were changes along the way and we ended up having some lightings unused.

To kick start, I will share our floor plan.

floorplan_zps91e0a791.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Some before photos, the house was really run down. I also puzzled why we bought it though we had in mind to buy a house that does not need major overhaul. Some more, we paid COV for it. I guess that is fate.

Kitchen

Kitchenview17_zpsc548960c.jpg

Common bathroom

commontoiletview1_zps096e7928.jpg

Service balcony

servicebalconyview6_zpscd1e332f.jpg

Edited by lth3388

After I visited this forum, I'd also started off with posting a request for quotation but didn't meet any of the ID as only a few (to be exact 2) responded with email quotations. Some called after like 2 weeks later. Quotations were quite high and we felt that we do not need ID since we are on a budget and wish to "anyhow" do it to our liking.

Back track a bit, before we collected the keys, we had already bought some crystal lights and LEDs from Taobao and shipped to us. They are really cheap and I thought unless we are buying the really good quality ones imported from the West, we would be paying a premium to buy from lighting shops for the same thing.

Here are photos of the TB purchases

ScreenShot2013-10-29at31858PM_zps9bdbc71

ScreenShot2013-10-29at31930PM_zpsb35a49d

ScreenShot2013-10-29at31922PM_zps14c585a

ScreenShot2013-10-29at31936PM_zps08f7ee9

ScreenShot2013-10-29at31915PM_zps8bf7532

photo8_zpse38ade8a.jpg

I shipped them though Peeka, though I also have contact or imported through other forwarder at a cheaper rate. I wanted my purchases to be taken care of by some one professional in this business as the lightings are fragile items.

Since no ID, there isn't any 3D drawings etc. Just some hacking photos.

photo5_zpsabcd4d81.jpg

photo4_zpse2444560.jpg

photo2_zps36418ad6.jpg

photo_zps4f293e2e.jpg

hall_zps3ce49367.jpg

Hacked almost everything except floorings of all 4 rooms as contractor advised us just to overlay wood laminate.

Just a sneak preview of how our MBR bathroom ended up with our researches and copying of ideas from this forum. We have in fact, placed our second order with TB.

2013-10-31142614_zps4febb421.jpg

Just a sneak preview of how our MBR bathroom ended up with our researches and copying of ideas from this forum. We have in fact, placed our second order with TB.

2013-10-31142614_zps4febb421.jpg

Hi where do you get your mirror from? from taobao? can share the link. will be happy if you can PM me. Thanks!

Hi jnashville, sorry if I misled you. Actually, we couldn't find this from TB or locally so we ended up asking our contractor who is also making carpentry in house to custom made for us. I do not have the unit cost as it was lump with another mirror (same design but smaller), dinning hall mirror and shelves as well as a shelving for MBR. But it should not be too costly to ask your contractor to make it if you are still renovating your house.

I forgot to take photos when they were waterproofing kitchen and laying tiles there so I have to jump to day 18 when the cement floor in our hall is done. But the results were bad. Apparently, you need some one with good experience to do such job.

flooring_zpsd1a1ed2b.jpg

HDB officer was very responsive and came down twice to inspect and visited unit on top of us and finally determined that we could just solved it in our house. It was done in less than a week and he did it himself with the help of my contractor to hack the beam, and patched it back later. Hopefully, no more leaking.