Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ashleeee

Tile Kitchen Countertop

Hello all,

I am very interested in the old school style kitchen counter top design. The old school concrete one with the white ceramic tiles. Does anyone know contractors other than Mr K who knows how to do it? Or do most contractors know how to do it?

Many thanks!

Edited by ashleeee

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi

Just went to see one of my contractor's renovation work today... saw him did a concrete stand for the sink with a sink embedded into the stand. Very old fashion I must say.

Think most contractors still do that.

Fyi.

All contractors can do it.

FYI, cleaning would be a hassle, dirt traps in grouting and quite difficult to get rid.

The design is very permanent.

Cheers!

[remove signature]

i think most contractors know how to do that, its quite easy, its almost the same way how you layer tiles on the floor, but you have to be more careful and clean with the overall process

Hi

Hello all,

I am very interested in the old school style kitchen counter top design. The old school concrete one with the white ceramic tiles. Does anyone know contractors other than Mr K who knows how to do it? Or do most contractors know how to do it?

Many thanks!

Hi Ashlee,

I also saw it and liked it a lot. I asked my contractor to do the same.

It is not as easy as it seems.

Sharing some mistakes that we learnt along the way:

1) insist on having correctly sized tiles that will fit the width of your concrete structure to minimise tiler's effort in cutting tiles, we had tiles that were slanted and chipped as well as tiles that are unequal in size with jagged edges

2) ensure that contractor has steel bars to reinforce the cement slab, we are halfway through our reno and our cement structure cracked! not sure if steel bars were laid properly (or if they were even used!!!) to reinforce the cement slab and we are worried now.

3) ensure that the 'neck' of your tap is long enough to go through the cement support - we needed additional 'height' because we told contractor we wanted cement support with tiles and granite countertop, hence the tap's neck length became problematic.

4) ensure that contractor got the 'correct' countertop height - our contractor built the support about 2 cm lower than what we requested - we got him to rectify it and it became more problematic. So, get it right the first time- less headache later.

5) clarify with contractor if hollow brick tiles would be used as the supporting legs for the structure - ask him if that is sufficient to support the weight of your concrete structure, solid top, granite top etc.

6) ask him what he is doing to prevent cracks in the cement caused by expansion & contraction - is he laying a layer of fibre mesh to prevent cracks?

You can read up more here:

http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/blog/answers/concrete-slab-fiber-mesh-wire-mesh-reinforcement/

We are still midway through renovations. Hope it can be all trashed out and everything will be ok.

Good luck to you and hope this helps!

Edited by CyanJachoc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Hi Ashlee,

I also saw it and liked it a lot. I asked my contractor to do the same.

And it was very screwed up. It is not as easy as it seems.

So please choose a good contractor.

Sharing some mistakes that we learnt along the way:

1) insist on having correctly sized tiles that will fit the width of your concrete structure to minimise tiler's effort in cutting tiles, we had tiles that were slanted and chipped as well as tiles that are unequal in size with jagged edges

2) ensure that contractor have steel bars to reinforce the cement slab, we are halfway through our reno and our cement structure cracked! not sure if steel bars were laid properly (or if they were even used!!!) to reinforce the cement slab and we are worried now.

3) ensure that the 'neck' of your tap is long enough to go through the cement support - we needed additional 'height' because we told contractor we wanted cement support with tiles and granite countertop, hence the tap's neck length became problematic.

4) ensure that contractor got the 'correct' countertop height - our contractor built the support about 2 cm lower than what we requested - we got him to rectify it and it became more problematic. So, get it right the first time- less headache later.

We are still midway through renovations. Hope it can be all trashed out and everything will be ok.

Good luck to you and hope this helps!

Good tips on the steel bar reinforcement. Thanks!

• Like 1

Here's an example of how a concrete top would look like. Yes, it has reinforcement bars built in. Of course, u can then put anything you want on top e.g. tiles, wood, SS etc.

top.jpg

Edited by TITW

• Like 1

Hi TITW,

Your support looks great! the tiling is a lot neater than mine.

Quick question: How can you tell if the structure has reinforcement bars built in? For my counter structure, we had to put in a layer of mesh as it had cracks. Contractor said that he did put in reinforcement bars but I'm worried as it still cracked.

Also, he used something called W1 to fix the cracks in addition to the mesh. Crossing fingers and hoping that it will last.

Also, do you know if it is standard practice that the legs supporting the structure are made of hollow blocks? Are steel rods required for the hollow blocks?

Hi Cyanjachoc

I saw how they went to put the steel reinforcement bars in the countertop before the concrete set. I had no prob with the top and is pretty solid. No cracks were seen at all. For the legs, they used bricks all 3 sides to support the top. I dont recall them using rods for the legs. Bricks were pretty solid.

Hi TITW,

Your support looks great! the tiling is a lot neater than mine.

Quick question: How can you tell if the structure has reinforcement bars built in? For my counter structure, we had to put in a layer of mesh as it had cracks. Contractor said that he did put in reinforcement bars but I'm worried as it still cracked.

Also, he used something called W1 to fix the cracks in addition to the mesh. Crossing fingers and hoping that it will last.

Also, do you know if it is standard practice that the legs supporting the structure are made of hollow blocks? Are steel rods required for the hollow blocks?

Here's an example of how a concrete top would look like. Yes, it has reinforcement bars built in. Of course, u can then put anything you want on top e.g. tiles, wood, SS etc.

top.jpg

Hi TITW,

Is your house renovated by contractor? Care to share the contractor's contact?

Thank you.

Jas