Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 5/21/2014 at 4:28 PM, Dylanchua said:

I've been receiving PMs from members introducing their ID (dunno self advert or not) and also from IDs themselves.

I'd like to thank everyone for their response. I've already selected Designer House (Tiler Seng) for my renovation works.

After comparing 12 quotations, I found their quotation most reasonable.

I started with submitting a request here and receiving 8-9 standard package quotations. Then I finalised my requirements and 4-5 responded with amended ones. The rest couldn't be bothered to do anything else other than sending me packages.

While evaluating these quotations, there was a weekend when I went to Expo and look see look see. Ciseern had this fantastic package with free this free that and rebate on GST and all the frills. I nearly signed up, but was pulled back by my wife. On second thoughts, after dissecting the quote, they aren't any much cheaper than other firms. Lucky she stopped me.

Then I was pulled into Unimax booth. Was talking to an ID when another more senior one bumped into the conversation. He started telling me to put a $500 deposit. I told him their package don't cover everything that I need, and I can't put a deposit on something which I dunno the cost. I explained that I have a low budget of $30K and though I don't need fancy carpentry (for furniture I intend to go the Ikea way rather than custom built), I will need some hacking of walls here and there. I say I rather u work out the quote, then I deposit. He assure me that they will definitely work within my budget, and later on say deposit $200 also no problem. With the deposit, they will work out the quote AND 3D drawings. So I gave them my hard earned $200. In the end, they were the LAST firm to quote, and that is after several reminders, and I was given 3 miserable drawings which looked liked it was drawn for another client, not specially for me. And their quote was a whopping $57K (all my other quotes were $7K to $16K less). Talk about working within my budget!

Anyway, I gave up on them and continued discussing with the last 4 firms on my shortlist. And then finally whittled down to 2. Designer House's quote was 6K more than the lowest quote. I was about to go with the lowest quote when I discovered several items inside Tiler Seng's quote which is missing from the other firm, including 23ft of kitchen cabinet. After deducting the missing items and 23ft of kitchen cabinet (we will finalise the qty when we get to measure on site), Tiler Seng turned out to be the lowest quote.

I'll be inspecting the house on 24th and collecting keys in about 2 weeks time. Will be doing up my T-Blog as it goes along.

Never pay a deposit before the contract is finalized, else you will end up having a lot of issues. Any company that ask for a deposit before contract is finalized should not be allowed. All items should be discussed and finalized and put down in a contract before a payment is being paid to the company. Authority should ban this unfair practice. 

Never pay the last 5% unless renovator had finished all the work with rectification.