Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley Adam

Dream Home, Maybe?

This resale flat was the 2nd unit that I viewed and I fell in love almost immediately - probably due to the layout and how clean the flat was! As the valuation was not out then, I had to wait almost 7 days to hear from the seller's agent. I was feeling anxious, nervous and all that!

Finally, the day arrived! I received the much anticipated message - the valuation was out!! Lucky star was on my side as the price was within my budget or rather at an amount that I could afford (almost! haha). So I arranged for a second viewing and this time during the day. Not long after, I was signing the OTP and giving them the deposit to secure the flat. :deal:

Deep in my heart, I knew THIS IS IT. :dancingqueen:

Edited by AshleyAdam

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

In between signing the OTP and a couple of weeks away from collecting the keys, I had only intended to re-do the kitchen and 2 toilets only due to budget constraint.

Being a novice in renovation (since this is my very first flat), I knew absolutely nothing. I can't even tell the difference between cylinder gas or pipe gas, or even knew what casement means. Never heard of FUJIOH and whatnots. Yes, it was that bad.

To start things off, I sent an online request for "free" quotes via iCompare and Renotalk. Lo and behold, multiple calls started to come in and gazillion emails pouring in. At first I was excited to share my small renovation plan but after awhile, I was exhausted and exasperated! So that was when I decided to calm down and take my time to try to understand each quote slowly. At the same time, doing my research on these IDs to find out their past, present projects as well as looking up for reviews on them online, before committing any appointments.

Edited by AshleyAdam

In between signing the OTP and a couple of weeks away from collecting the keys, I had only intended to re-do the kitchen and 2 toilets only due to budget constraint.

Being a novice in renovation (since this is my very first flat), I knew absolutely nothing. I can't even tell the difference between cylinder gas or pipe gas, or even knew what casement means. Never heard of FUJIOH and whatnots. Yes, it was that bad.

To start things off, I sent an online request for "free" quotes via iCompare and Renotalk. Lo and behold, multiple calls started to come in and gazillion emails pouring in. At first I was excited to share my small renovation plan but after awhile, I was exhausted and exasperated! So that was when I decided to calm down and take my time to try to understand each quote slowly. At the same time, doing my research on these IDs to find out their past, present projects as well as looking up for reviews on them online, before committing any appointments.

You can organize them into few different categories & put them in excel to compare.

(*Hope this helps)

Hi Songz... Indeed it does tremendously! :idea:

I did the summary on excel quite awhile ago but also hard to compare apple to apple when they sometimes lumped certain stuff. :curse:

I did the summary on excel quite awhile ago but also hard to compare apple to apple when they sometimes lumped certain stuff. :curse:

haha.. I agree it's an headache.

Ended up getting relative's recommended contractor and give up comparing as felt more comfortable with him. Most quotes are cheaper here, more expensive there etc....

Compare on big picture basis....like kitchen = $X , Hall area = $Y compare. Though you need quotes stating similar requirements to compare though. Problem is if you talk to too many ID/contractors, everyone has a slightly different view of what should be done. :D

I started off with an excel too when I first started comparing quotes. But gave up after 5 companies. Haha. They basically jack up different areas to earn their money. There's no way we can compare apple to apple line by line.

Will suggest instead to comparing them line by line, tell the companies exactly what you want (including how many fts for carpentry, full height or half height, brand of hinges to be used, what type of paint etc), and den compare the overall quote that came back.

Choose those that falls within your budget, or at least not too far off (can still bargain when ready to finalise), check for feedback on forums, then meet up with those shortlisted IDs to assess the chemistry you have with them.

Along the way, you may have already stuck off many IDs who were not responsive, don't bother about ur budget etc.

Through this method, hubby and I ended up meeting just 6 ID firms, out of the many who quoted us from the forum quotation requests.

Hope this will help ease some of the headache u face when choosing your ID! ;)

• Like 1

Will suggest instead to comparing them line by line, tell the companies exactly what you want (including how many fts for carpentry, full height or half height, brand of hinges to be used, what type of paint etc), and den compare the overall quote that came back.

Choose those that falls within your budget, or at least not too far off (can still bargain when ready to finalise), check for feedback on forums, then meet up with those shortlisted IDs to assess the chemistry you have with them.

Along the way, you may have already stuck off many IDs who were not responsive, don't bother about ur budget etc.;)

That's quite an idea. Now that I know what they quoted for certain things with their own brand, maybe I should start to list out exactly what I want like vinyl or laminate brand, give them pic of doors that I want and such and ask them to quote. But will they charge higher if what we want is not their preferred partner you think?

Ended up getting relative's recommended contractor and give up comparing as felt more comfortable with him. :D

Hi Koori

At first I had wanted to go the contractor route but since I am a novice, better not just in case hahaha. Do u hve to tell your contractor specifically where u want things? Or what flooring or tiles u want? Do they buy the tiles for u or u have to get yourself?

Hi AshleyAdam,

I totally get what you mean. I am a single female first-time home owner too. Renovation can be an overwhelming task. I wanted to go the contractor route but after meeting a couple of them, I felt that a contractor wasn't the route for me because:

1. I am someone who like to bounce off ideas though I do have generic theme in mind

2. I have no prior experience in electrical/plumbing/renovation so alot of times I feel some terms too technical to understand

I am currently working with a ID who is a very patient young man, willing to listen and most importantly it was a cost within my budget (some contractors quoted the same/higher than my ID).

Would be happy to share some of my learnings with you :) If you're keen on my ID, can pass you his contact too.

Hi AshleyAdam,

I totally get what you mean. I am a single female first-time home owner too. Renovation can be an overwhelming task. I wanted to go the contractor route but after meeting a couple of them, I felt that a contractor wasn't the route for me because:

1. I am someone who like to bounce off ideas though I do have generic theme in mind

2. I have no prior experience in electrical/plumbing/renovation so alot of times I feel some terms too technical to understand

I am currently working with a ID who is a very patient young man, willing to listen and most importantly it was a cost within my budget (some contractors quoted the same/higher than my ID).

Would be happy to share some of my learnings with you :) If you're keen on my ID, can pass you his contact too.

Hey hows your house renovation coming along ?

That's quite an idea. Now that I know what they quoted for certain things with their own brand, maybe I should start to list out exactly what I want like vinyl or laminate brand, give them pic of doors that I want and such and ask them to quote. But will they charge higher if what we want is not their preferred partner you think?

The possibility is there, but if they are sincere to do the business, I'm sure they will find a way to quote you at a reasonable rate :)

If they are totally not working with the brands you want and say they cannot provide that, may be better to drop the ID, unless the chemistry is really good, then some compromise could be made?

Hi Koori

At first I had wanted to go the contractor route but since I am a novice, better not just in case hahaha. Do u hve to tell your contractor specifically where u want things? Or what flooring or tiles u want? Do they buy the tiles for u or u have to get yourself?

Haha...I'm not sure why the common belief that contractor doesn't know what to do. :D

I agree that if you get separate teams like tiling team one group, carpentry one group, etc....then of course you become the central person and have to decide and buy everything. The teams don't know the overall design so they have to depend on you to tell them what to do.

With a main contractor, I think they basically function more or less like a ID. Just that there is no 3D drawings.

I dun have to tell the contractor specifically where I wanted what...he knows the way. wahahaha....If you have something you want to incorporate, of course must let him know, but that is the same case with contractor or ID. I showed him pics plucked off the internet when I saw something I wanted too. Mine also told me when something I grabbed off the Net was not recommended. He will go very nicely....'not recommended because ~ '

He also drove me to pick out the tiles and he was the one that helped pick some when I was 'stuck'. He arranged the purchase with the shop after I picked out the tiles, I didn't have to bother. I also asked him to recommend lighting shop and he drove me to pick out the lights too.

All my taps and sinks and even WC was bought by him. He did show me the catalog before he bought. Not sure if it's true for all contractors, but mine does check with me on major items before they started. Like where I wanted the electrical points, how the carpentry is to be, etc...

Ya, I think you can expect higher prices if it's not their 'preferred' partner. Most likely because they do not have the 'relationship' with that brand.

I think they should be able to source if you insist on a certain brand. I think chances are, no single ID will be able to have preferred rates across all the brands in SG....but I'm not sure. Maybe the renovation industry is small enough that everyone knows everyone?

I was clueless with branding, so I didn't request for any specific brands throughout my whole reno.

Hi Koori

Welcome to RT. Reno is quite an easy process as long as you know what you want and a general grasp of pricing.

Enjoy the journey and have fun. :good:

Hi there, looking forward to hear from you more. :D

Hey hows your house renovation coming along ?

Was about to ask the same question since all of us on the same boat. :D

AshleyAdams,

The main advantage of having a main contractor/ID is that you have someone to co-ordinate and sequence the works. This is one of the most important parts. The other thing is if you have a main contractor/ID, you just go to him if things go wrong. He is responsible. If you have direct sub-contractors for different jobs, when things go wrong, you don't know who is responsible.