Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Melaniessl

My Humble Abode For My Two Munchkins

Hi everyone,

I've been reading RenoTalk for the last few months as I'm anticipating the reno of my new place in June 2014.

I used to stay in an EM in Bishan and sold it to buy a place in Newton just to get my two munchkins into ACS - wish me luck, registration is this year.

I'm currently still staying in Bishan in a rented 4 room HDB. My newton place has been rented out and we will be taking it back on 1 June 2014 and aim to start reno ASAP. Best part, we haven't even found an ID yet - will be meeting up with 2 ID this week.

I've contacted Renzz and Mr K and a close friend recommendation (Visual Dreams). So far, Mr K has not made an appointment with me as I suspect he's very busy. Anyone use him recently - is he responsive to new quotes?

My newton place is the weirdest layout I have ever seen - it's the size of about a 4 room HDB at 1200 sqfeet but split into 2 floors!! Yes so it's quite small as a lot of space wasted on the stairs. I have 2 headache areas for this place - my eldest son's room which is super small and has NO windows but a super high 5 M ceiling and a very small open concept kitchen.

So my reno will focus on these two headache areas for my home - i want to build a wall to seal up the kitchen and add another row of kitchen countertop and cabinets against this new wall. PLUS i need to solve my son's room headache - possibly looking at building a high loft style bed for him to maximise space in his little room.

My theme will be classic traditional - like Laura Ashley vibe and I will be updating my blog as regularly as I can as I make more purchases and reno starts.

Some info below:

Kitchen hood, hob and oven - Ariston bought from recent warehouse sale.

Induction hob: no choice as Newton house has NO GAS! http://www.mayer.sg/index.php/products/hob/ariston2013-05-14-17-00-55/nic-641-b-detail

52908_nic-641-b.jpg

http://www.mayer.sg/index.php/products/hood/ariston2013-05-14-17-01-36/hood-detail

hes60f-ixorig.jpg

http://www.mayer.sg/index.php/products/oven/oven-ariston/oven2013-05-30-10-20-07-detail

fh-52-ix.jpg

Toilet basin and shower/bath mixers: Grohe - just bought the simple package which they have on sale for 3 of my 4 toilets. The fourth toilet i will just use the simple mid range brand.

32467001.gif

I'm intending to change all the lights to LED downlights so if anyone has good lobang for cheap and good LED downlights in SG, let me know. I can't buy from taobao cos my mandarin is horrible - now i wished i paid more attention during mandarin class LOL.

Aircon intend to change as aircon is about 15 years old, it's a miracle it's still working. Any good brands to recommend that is VERY cold and powerful type - cos we like it super cold.

My house will be about toy storage and nothing else, when you have 2 young boys your life revolves around toys and how to keep it neat and tidy with a million tomica and hot wheel toys and trains and lego and what not...

I intend to start reno in June and hopefully will be shifted in by mid July, Won't be hacking marble and parquet floor as house is well maintained as previous owner did not stay in house much during 15 years as they were in the UK plus my current tenant look after the house pretty well. For toilets we also not hacking as can't afford to replace marble if i hack so will just change sink, toilet bowl etc.

Need recommendation for the following:

1. Best place to buy Philip lights
  2. Lobang for cheap and good LED down lights
  3. Any feedback on Ikea lights?
  4. Any ID to recommend who has experience in unique creative children rooms?
  5. Any other fan good to buy beside KDK - sorry can't afford Haiku fans :(
  6. Which brand/company good for insect screens for windows? I am absolutely terrified of cockroaches and lizards
  7. Which brand/company good for invisible grills - anyone done before any feedback on this? is it secure?
  8. Recco for those bomb shelter shelving for storeroom type?
  9. If anyone is kind enough to send me their recent reno quote - last time i renovated my first house was in 2007 for my EM and we hacked every single tile in that house. :)

Thanks a million!! The only other thing that worries me more than my reno is my son's upcoming P1 registration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Cooker hob and lights i dunno but if u say sanitary wares, i know 1 place very good quality product and affordable price at Paya Lebar

1. Any feedback on Ikea lights? - Colleague has been using ikea lights for 3-4 years and it's going well, she says though many people advised against, she finds it an overall good experience while using their lights. Bulb going strong and if need to change, just buy from ikea.

Any other fan good to buy beside KDK - sorry can't afford Haiku fans :( - Neighbour recommend Fanco, Rega (Another neighbours says to go to Royal Franco - their prices are quite good)

Hope it helps! :)

Thanks Myztycalz for your advice.

Trish - as mentioned i bought my Ariston hob, hood and oven at their recent warehouse sale about a month back so it was quite cheap. They are all brand new sets and not display sets. Generally most items were going at 50% off for brand new sets and display sets were like 60% off so might as well buy the brand new sets right? :)

Ariston hob: I got it at $999 retail price is $1999

Hood: i got it at $399 retail price $719 - personally i would have liked a bigger more powerful hood but i was in a rush and my baby was sweating as i was carrying him in a manduca and also this hood fits my hob size at 60 cm. Anyways for $399 can't complain..LOL

Oven: i got it for $399 retail price is $799

So all in all quite worth it. I walked into the IMM Mayer shop that day to look see look see and I saw quite a lot of items on sale - not like 50% but quite good like 20% type and some of their high end stuff on sale - they have good deals for purchase with purchase - I was lusting after a very nice built in microwave with lots of features. OH WELL...

I initially had my eye on the Borsh brand of hob, hood and oven but it is more ex and since the Mayer warehouse sale came at the right time - i guess it's fate. My previous house i used ariston for 5 years was ok.

Good luck in your hob, hood and oven search! Actually i think you buy those package type is quite worth it. I couldn't cos most package don't have induction hob. :)

UPDATE:

I have chosen my ID company and this is a summary:

Mr K - i called him twice and emailed him all my requirements - he promised to call back but DID not so i gathered he was too busy to take on my business so better not venture there

Renzz - WE chose them - I really like Marcus and Gilbert - they're the two nicest IDs out there i think. We laugh a lot and crack jokes all the time. Great chemistry. Paid my first payment and i will get my house back on 1 June from the tenant. We will start reno very soon and will update more soon.

Posh Home - I really liked both Calvin and Ephron - saw Ephron more and he's a great young chap with lots of potential and very sincere and fast response. Design and ideas wise they are quite good and Renzz beat them out based on chemistry which is hard to explain as it's a very personal thing. But thank you to Calvin and Ephron for all your efforts.

Sebastian from Visual Dreams - my friend's recommendation as he's a partner at the firm. Sebastian was the most prompt and responsive and sincere and he painstakingly hand drawn all the designs he had in mind. Plus he's the only one who tried to suggest a different way of space planning for the house and for that I am eternally grateful but like i said in the end we chose Renzz cos of chemistry.

In a nut shell - it was a very hard decision and close fight as all 3 shortlisted were fantastic with roughly similar prices. So good luck to me. If anyone wants any of their contacts please PM me. I think i would have had a great renovation even if i chose ANY of the 3 shortlisted guys. Hence i think the shortlisting process even before you first call them is very important.

Update - I am still a complete NOOB at uploading pictures hence have not gotten around to uploading my floor layout yet. SIGH

For aircon installation, i will most probably be going with Cool Serve - they do my servicing and i really like them. A bit ex but i'm not going to take the chance with aircon installation and try to scrimp on that. I did some research and basically there is no air con company that does not have a bad review - but seems like cool serve has less bad reviews than others LOLOL.

I've also been reading Renotalk forum for the following contacts - and my head is spinning liao - so if you know any contacts for these third party suppliers, pls let me know: I'm trying to call 3 for each category:

1. Electrician
  2. Bifold doors and casement sliding doors
  3. Sliding windows, grills
  4. Insect screens
  5. invisible grills - is it true that it can't take much weight? My children are monkeys and like to hand off the grills
  6. Painters

Thanks, much appreciated

Not really advisable on the invisible grills.

Reason is that firstly it don really support a lot of weight if you children like to play with it, secondly if 1 part is spoil you will need to change the whole set.

Thanks Songz - I oso think so the more i read about invisible grills the more i think i won't be able to get it. I always thought they are very sturdy based on what they put on their website. Able to withstand blah blah kg of weight etc. What a waste, they look really good.

Anyway an update on my oven which i bought from Mayer Marketing, i called them up today and asked them if i could upgrade the oven i bought to the next better one as i remember they had that model at the warehouse sale too. And the said YES!! How nice of them. Another reason is that the original oven i bought will only come in beginning July which might be too late for me. And I asked if i could have it at the warehouse sale price and they said YES!!!! So i only added $40 more to upgrade from my $399 to $439 oven!! And the best part, i told them said i went to their shop recently and saw that they have this fantastic promotion where if you buy some items you can do a purchase with purchase to buy a built in microwave oven and I asked very nicely and batted my eye lashes which i'm sure they could hear over the phone. LOL.

And they said YES!!!! So i got a super good deal built in microwave at a very cheap price!! Usual price is $899 and if you buy stuff from the shop you can get it at $399!! CHEAP for a built in microwave. My last house i bought a TEKA built in microwave which was very basic and already cost me $700+ and some more this was like super sale price liao. But this was 7 years ago la.

Oven i upgraded to this for $40 more: http://www.mayer.sg/index.php/products/oven/oven-ariston/oven2013-05-30-10-20-07-detail

fh-52-ix.jpg

And this is the lovely microwave which i got for only $399!! YIPPEEEE - even hubby thinks its a good deal. If you are interested can go down to Mayer to check out the deal

Even it says coming soon on the website - the stocks are in liao:

http://www.mayer.sg/index.php/products/oven/oven-ariston/oven2013-08-05-04-44-30-detail

mwa122.1-ix-.jpg

So i'm feeling quite pleased with myself today. :thumbs up:

• Like 1

My first post i realised i had posted the wrong image of the oven i had actually bought the lower range one so today when i checked my invoice i realised it was the lower range one.

Hi everyone, update my place will start hacking on Monday 9 June will try to upload some pics. :)

Am now trying to settle my third party quotes for all other items:

1. Aircon - cool serve
  2. Windows, grills and bifold doors - getting quote from Andy Home Aluminium
  3. Electricals - getting quote from Zenterra and Mr Keong - recommended by renotalkers
  4. Painting - getting quote from Nippon and Frank - recommended by renotalkers. Anyone used Nippon directly before? Any feedback?
  5. Insect screens? Any recommendations for good suppliers - just looking at those magnetic types

Anyone used bi-fold doors from Besglas before? It's called EZY door - it's slightly more expensive ($320) than the standard bi-fold door at $280 and only costs $50 more for mirror added onto the door.

Also for those pole system cupboards - is there any one that is cheaper than Alumix? I know there is this system called OPSH. Anyone used them before?

Thank you in advance.

Finally figured out how to load images here's my very weird layout. Note that bedroom 2 has no windows but a very high ceiling and every room has an ensuite which i think is a waste of space and bedroom 2 toilet and bedroom 3 toilet got no windows!!! SIGH. very small place - think of it as a 4 room HDB divided onto 2 levels with lots of wastage on the staircase :(

Level 1

gallery_60026_407_58002.jpg

Level 2

gallery_60026_407_10555.jpg

Anyway an update on my oven which i bought from Mayer Marketing, i called them up today and asked them if i could upgrade the oven i bought to the next better one as i remember they had that model at the warehouse sale too. And the said YES!! How nice of them. Another reason is that the original oven i bought will only come in beginning July which might be too late for me. And I asked if i could have it at the warehouse sale price and they said YES!!!! So i only added $40 more to upgrade from my $399 to $439 oven!! And the best part, i told them said i went to their shop recently and saw that they have this fantastic promotion where if you buy some items you can do a purchase with purchase to buy a built in microwave oven and I asked very nicely and batted my eye lashes which i'm sure they could hear over the phone. LOL.

And they said YES!!!! So i got a super good deal built in microwave at a very cheap price!! Usual price is $899 and if you buy stuff from the shop you can get it at $399!! CHEAP for a built in microwave. My last house i bought a TEKA built in microwave which was very basic and already cost me $700+ and some more this was like super sale price liao. But this was 7 years ago la.

You're so funny, Melaniessl and congrats on scoring such a good deal! Say, do you think Mayer's promotion is still ongoing? I wish I can fly down this instant!

I can't wait to see photos of your renovation! I'm on a similar theme I think, modern-classic-colonial-victorian, if there's ever such a thing! I love Laura Ashley and was hoping to score some nice wallpaper but I can't find anything from the current range. Eyeing the lights now :P