Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Have to start shopping for mattress? Share ur experience thanks

Yes, I think we should. But I'm afraid we haven't got around to it yet. Would you, by any chance, have any tips or advice? We are new to mattress-shopping. Bed linen, I think I know what we are going to get, but I can't say the same for the mattress.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

with a tight budget, would love to see how you achieve it :)

I know, right? Just need to figure out how to pay for all of the renovation works I want. Very hard to figure that part out, and tends to put the brakes on. :lol:

Cant wait to see how your place turn out after looking at your moodboard. :)

Thank you, Diva79!

We are looking forward to it too. Hopefully – fingers crossed – it will turn out well. :)

Looking For ID

We were not quite sure how to go about doing this at first. Our friends and family helped us! Some even sat in on discussions with the first few IDs and contractors we met. We also found Greglhc’s and OceanEleven’s posts helpful. :thumbs up:
We contacted seven IDs and contractors in total – five were recommended to us by our loved ones, while two had positive reviews here on RenoTalk. We found all of them good! We enjoyed the process. After some months of meeting after meeting with them, the list of seven was eventually whittled down to a shortlist of two and finally, one.
I think we signed with him because among the IDs and contractors we met, Keith made us the least apprehensive about the renovation.
Memory
During the discussions, even though he had the quotation on the desk, he seldom referred to it. He remembered details we had discussed several weeks ago.
  • This showed us he was sincere about wanting to work on our new home.
  • And that he has a good memory for details and would be less likely to forget things during the renovation!
Patience
He is patient. We went through multiple rounds of meetings with him and each time, he would explain things to us patiently, for hours on end, always understanding and tolerant of our concerns as we deliberated over the quotation and design.
We require someone with considerable patience, for we often have to spend some time hearing loved ones’ opinions, reading up on and studying the various options, and sleeping on it before committing and making decisions – we simply cannot afford mistakes with the budget we have.
Expertise
During our discussions with him, we found his ideas and solutions demonstrative of his creativity, and technical expertise! Take our concrete sink and stove support, for instance. We wanted a thick edging. He pondered over our request for a bit, and told us it could be done. He then proceeded to explain to us how it could be achieved, with Method A yielding Thickness A, and Method B yielding Thickness B. And when asked, gave us his recommendation of which method to go for.
Taste
The things he suggested and pointed out as nice tended to make us go “Yes, that!” and not “Oh. Um…” We liked, and trusted, his taste.
Attitude
He is enthusiastic about his job. This is important to us, for we feel that an ID who approaches his job with zest and loves it is more likely to do a good job!
We had a chance to speak to one of his colleagues and he seems to possess that same boundless zest too.
Frugality
Throughout the various meetings, we noticed that he would try to propose more affordable ways of achieving what we requested! Sometimes he would tell us outright when the things we wanted were not worth getting. :thumbs up:
  • When we wanted to remove the clothes-drying hanger in the service yard, he tried to negotiate a better deal (with the Haulage & Debris Removal Services folks, I think) for us! It did not quite work out as hoped, but we appreciated him trying.
Organisation
He works in an organised manner. Given the many variables involved in renovation, we felt we would stand a higher chance of getting a good renovation (to say nothing of emerging from the process sane) going with an organised ID!
ID Firm
Vän Hus made a good first impression:
  • One of his colleagues was reviewed favourably here on RenoTalk: @soloqueen ’s home.
  • We thought a pencil sketch by one of his colleagues reflected well on their artistic ability. We liked that sketch*; it contributed to the first impression.
  • We liked the decor in their showroom!
  • Their works seemed to have covered some of our preferred looks.
(* When we asked if they could draw a similar sketch of our new home, they agreed – gratis. We appreciated the gesture of goodwill!)
Complimentary Works
Blum hinges, coloured carpentry interior (internal laminates?), replacing the existing household shelter ventilation plate cover with a more aesthetically pleasing air vent grille, plus a few other works, are complimentary – things that they provide for all of their projects.
  • Keith also offered to throw in some of those metallic switches with an industrial feel to them. :)
Edited by JohnB

congrats mrsjohnB!! :)

can't wait to see more of your house.

the moodboard looks great!

Thank you, MintyVintage! We are quite excited!

This will be your first Christmas in your new home, won't it? How fun :)

ffeb2b2b4dcbbdd2e3ef16a540511838.jpg

766c9dfd0f5af2f1f9c88636c3f81d0d.jpg

I’m afraid we are often out and seldom home! When at home, our time is spent primarily in front of the computer – studying or shouting at it (watching sports :D). Sometimes we have some close friends over. We try to build this into the space when planning our new home.

1. A ‘floating’ sideboard beside the study desk, perfect for housing our notes, his network storage, network switch, PS 4 and other toys – while serving to hide power points. Yet leaving the rest of the wall free, hopefully resulting in an open feeling for the little space! And adhering to the minimalism in the design. :)
  2. A small dining table, sufficient for some cosy entertaining, but would not feel overwhelming on those times when he is home alone (when I am away).

Here’s Keith’s drawing of the sideboard. :)

353eeae044d775ad576d8ccb4eab9a17.jpg

Electrical Plan

We thought @RumbleInStyle ’s electrical plan looked useful and decided to draw a similar one for our new home too!

625010a906501412be3bfd41ce8b0094.jpg

Most of the lighting will be in the form of concrete pendant lamps – another common thread tying the design together.

Please feel free to share your thoughts! We are a tad concerned that the lighting might be too soft, and not quite enough to light up the house. :unsure:
Edited by JohnB

Pretty neat I'd say but watch out for the following:

1. Photos seen online have been vastly photoshopped. So mood boards based on those photos you need to take 20-30% off its eventual effect - let's face it, in reality we can't photoshop the real stuff after we place them in.

2. If you are into colours as I am - make sure the little things compliment - the linen, mattress and big frames aside - small things like books, lamp shades, floor mats to even books on the shelves must have colour complimentary values - look at all the display homes and even Ikea - everything on the shelves or walls are colour coordinated ie. bookshelves look fabulous because the books, small displays and the shelf colour blends in well but in reality, no one will have white covered books only unless you buys "display" books only - which means to have "that" effect, you need to keep up the showroom setup - whether viable, I think you guys can decide better.

3. Industrial or otherwise, I think thematically nice but not to turn your very nice concept into a garage. I have seen people dunking all kinds of harsh stuff and wall tones to make their house more and more industrial - I'd say store dump more than industrial. Keep the little bits and pieces going - after all it's a home first, theme second, and never garage.

4. Clutter is inevitable - trust me. No matter what, some hiding place is needed for the shoes you do not need or dress bought on impulse.

But I think you guys have gotten it - and I believe a very nice place is on the way. All the best.

Thanks for the advice, BlueBottle!

1. True. I should temper my expectations!
2. I see. I'm afraid I hadn't thought of that. I think the washing-up liquid and sponge worry me the most; they may not match the colour scheme. Also, I popped into Cold Storage today and the mops were pink, a bright pink!
3. I worry about taking the industrial style to the extreme. So thank you especially for this reminder. I'll try to pare the industrial elements. The thought of living in a garage-like home certainly doesn't appeal to me!
"Home first, theme second, and never garage" – I like that!
4. We're going to do our best to reduce and avoid clutter. But I get what you mean! I wish storage is more affordable though. :(
That's very kind of you! Thank you again. :)
Edited by JohnB

Day 0: Door Holder

We saw it on @DaddyWinter 's t-Blog and thought we would get ours replaced too, to make it easier for the renovation guys making deliveries.

The holder that comes with the new flats does not quite hold the door open. After you have pushed the door open and released your hold of it, the door will close (albeit slowly and gently). With this new holder, if, for whatever reason (making deliveries, better air circulation, etc.), you would like the door to remain open, simply push the door open to 90º (you will know when you are there, for you will feel something, a slight resistance of sorts) and release – voila! the door stays open.

@DaddyWinter shared the guy's name and number with us (thank you :) ).

His name is Kelvin. He is a nice chap. Prompt service, as in he was ready to visit our new home to install the holder on that very day that we texted him! Installation did not take long. He did it cleanly too, no mess! :thumbs up:

The holder is priced at $68, which includes installation. Note that only the 'arm' part gets changed. The 'box' thing remains the same. That does not affect the function, but the aesthetic appeal is somewhat lacking (in our case, that is). Seeing as Keith is going to paint the door white, we are thinking of asking him to paint or spray paint the entire arm+box thing white as well. Hopefully that will work.

b69f50b098a2603d7d5be2d60dd61dd7.jpg

adf84eb106d5818d0b69e07481515c50.jpg

It appears My Digital Lock carries the product too. The price is higher, at $150. Perhaps it comes with the 'box' part? It sure looks sleek and nice. :)

img_1091.jpg

Edited by JohnB

Day 1: Walls

"On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me . . . " :thumbs up:

The walls were removed on the first day! Yippity yip! We were simply thrilled when we saw Keith's pics. Actually, 'thrilled' did not quite cover it!

61305d4c3176b915dfa63d83cf16b724.jpg

7841c387a4bd8c646eefd53bd88b2bc6.jpg

f0482c8f3b57597208695574015ba1d6.jpg

And then there were none...whoop! #whoopwhoop :thumbs up:

39b67ff3df7e682cabfe5f35b1c26a08.jpg

Materials were delivered, too.

a61ef21f0e041d96164750b8dda6ba65.jpg

Edited by JohnB

Loved mood board and ur daring idea to hack the whole place into a stylish studio apartment.... I would suggest to seal up the common toilet door and re open it at the service yard to give it a more clean look in that area ... But it's really a lot more to spend juz for that cleaner look (plumbing, electrical, cement work)

Just sharing :)

• Like 1

Loved mood board and ur daring idea to hack the whole place into a stylish studio apartment.... I would suggest to seal up the common toilet door and re open it at the service yard to give it a more clean look in that area ... But it's really a lot more to spend juz for that cleaner look (plumbing, electrical, cement work)

Just sharing :)

Thank you, PTopaz! I love your common bathroom door idea!

Day 1: Floor Tiles

"On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me . . . "

Something else happened on the first day – Hafary delivered the tiles! Day 1 was a wonderful day. :)

Our tiles are the Concept White tiles by Cifre ( Hafary link | Cifre link ). They are made in Spain, and are priced at $4.50 psf.

Isn't she a beauty?

90f8adb1d2d1e2741a0e8b97e63606cb.jpg

Edited by JohnB

Day 0: Door Holder

We saw it on @DaddyWinter 's t-Blog and thought we would get ours replaced too, to make it easier for the renovation guys making deliveries.

The holder that comes with the new flats does not quite hold the door open. After you have pushed the door open and released your hold of it, the door will close (albeit slowly and gently). With this new holder, if, for whatever reason (making deliveries, better air circulation, etc.), you would like the door to remain open, simply push the door open to 90º (you will know when you are there, for you will feel something, a slight resistance of sorts) and release – voila! the door stays open.

@DaddyWinter shared the guy's name and number with us (thank you :) ).

His name is Kelvin. He is a nice chap. Prompt service, as in he was ready to visit our new home to install the holder on that very day that we texted him! Installation did not take long. He did it cleanly too, no mess! :thumbs up:

The holder is priced at $68, which includes installation. Note that only the 'arm' part gets changed. The 'box' thing remains the same. That does not affect the function, but the aesthetic appeal is somewhat lacking (in our case, that is). Seeing as Keith is going to paint the door white, we are thinking of asking him to paint or spray paint the entire arm+box thing white as well. Hopefully that will work.

b69f50b098a2603d7d5be2d60dd61dd7.jpg

adf84eb106d5818d0b69e07481515c50.jpg

It appears My Digital Lock carries the product too. The price is higher, at $150. Perhaps it comes with the 'box' part? It sure looks sleek and nice. :)

img_1091.jpg

Glad you like it JohnB ... one of the additional add-on I did for my home and I am satisfied until now :) good price and very useful.

Looking forward to see your home transform into a beautiful one~

Edited by DaddyWinter

• Like 1