Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Greetings JohnB,

Would you be able to share the contact for the door closer thingy?

Thank you soo much :)

Greetings to you too, Simple13. Is your mailbox full, by any chance? I'm afraid I can't seem to get the PM out to you.

Have a nice day. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

YAY! So happy to see another 3Roomer. :D Excited to see how your house turns out. All the best!! :)

Thank you! And the same to you, ByKaraanne! :)

Greetings to you too, Simple13. Is your mailbox full, by any chance? I'm afraid I can't seem to get the PM out to you.

Have a nice day. :)

Paisei...have cleared inbox :)

Await ur kind inputs :)

Flooring

Hopefully these will help fellow renotalkers and homeowners (in your budget preparation, renovation planning, tile shopping, etc): :)

1) The collective floor area of our living room and bedrooms is about 455ft2. Keith purchased 550ft2 of tiles. I think the extra 21% is to cater for wastage. Back when we were sourcing for ID/contractors, a contractor mentioned 550ft2 too. We also had 530ft2 and 510ft2 (I think) from another contractor and ID respectively.
2) Size and how the tiles are laid out may affect not only the look and feel of the floor and the space, but also the tiling labour cost.
For example, the tiles listed in our contract are of size 60cm x 60cm, at (up to) $4.20 per square foot. While those we purchased are 29cm x 59cm, $4.50 per square foot. Keith quoted us a top-up of $550.
The top-up for the tiles is [($4.50 - $4.20) x 550ft2] = $165. I think the rest ($550 - $165 = $385) is the top-up in tiling labour, for laying the tiles in the beautiful :thumbs up: running bond pattern. He recommended this tile pattern because of the tile size.
The classic straight lay seems more affordable, no extra expenses.
The herringbone may require you to pony up extra too? It looks somewhat challenging. A friend was just asking me about it on Saturday. She has her heart set on it. I remembered that Vän Hus had the herringbone showcased on a wall in their showroom and asked Keith if he could perhaps send a pic. (I felt bad for troubling him, but he was nice about it – really appreciated that.) Doesn't it look good: :thumbs up:
ff0f53c97d48b0ef83e8226c648bf864.jpg
He had once mentioned that if you were to shine a laser beam onto the wall, you would see the joints lining up neatly – in a perfect vertical line:
289f7e03f858e8072394c3c5f8078a26.jpg
Our Experience
The other options we explored included white epoxy flooring and cement screed/concrete flooring.
We also briefly considered Pandomo. Keith introduced it to us. It looked as though it could be a perfect fit for us! He told us its approximate price, which, unfortunately, seemed to be beyond our budget. If only we had deep pockets!
5d92f1f99c851cd9e7795ea80c1f8a4f.jpg
Tiles and Hafary
We chose tiles! #whoop
Some days before taking us tile-shopping, Keith made a trip to Hafary to help us with our selection. Here are those shortlisted by him: :thumbs up:
0bd4c60b06dff52dbaad20fd6c2cfa33.jpg
Then came our tile shopping day! After having read a fair bit about renotalkers and homeowners choosing tiles and visiting Hafary, we were quite excited to finally have our turn. We went there (Hafary Eunos) about an hour before our appointed time. Thankfully, because shelf upon shelf upon aisle upon aisle of tiles! Seriously, tiles galore:
3b992b0675583c14e0ed842049e67814.jpg
We had a good time :) Though I’m afraid I was kind of ready to 'drop' after a bit. I had stayed up studying the night before, and had also missed our jog that morning. My husband was really sweet and kept asking me if I wanted to sit down and rest.
Keith arrived next, and after some walking and discussion and thinking, with his help, we finally found the floor tile for our new home! :thumbs up:
(This is Mrs JohnB here, by the way.)

I absolutely enjoyed reading your t-blog and love every idea of yours! :D However, I would have to agree with the mess problem once you have shifted and settled in - where to hide them etc. Cannot wait to see the progression of your lovely home.

Would you be able to share the budget you have set aside for renovation works?

• Like 1

Day 0: Door Holder

We saw it on @DaddyWinter 's t-Blog and thought we would get ours replaced too, to make it easier for the renovation guys making deliveries.

The holder that comes with the new flats does not quite hold the door open. After you have pushed the door open and released your hold of it, the door will close (albeit slowly and gently). With this new holder, if, for whatever reason (making deliveries, better air circulation, etc.), you would like the door to remain open, simply push the door open to 90º (you will know when you are there, for you will feel something, a slight resistance of sorts) and release – voila! the door stays open.

@DaddyWinter shared the guy's name and number with us (thank you :) ).

His name is Kelvin. He is a nice chap. Prompt service, as in he was ready to visit our new home to install the holder on that very day that we texted him! Installation did not take long. He did it cleanly too, no mess! :thumbs up:

The holder is priced at $68, which includes installation. Note that only the 'arm' part gets changed. The 'box' thing remains the same. That does not affect the function, but the aesthetic appeal is somewhat lacking (in our case, that is). Seeing as Keith is going to paint the door white, we are thinking of asking him to paint or spray paint the entire arm+box thing white as well. Hopefully that will work.

b69f50b098a2603d7d5be2d60dd61dd7.jpg

adf84eb106d5818d0b69e07481515c50.jpg

It appears My Digital Lock carries the product too. The price is higher, at $150. Perhaps it comes with the 'box' part? It sure looks sleek and nice. :)

img_1091.jpg

hi hi,

could you PM contact for this sliding lock?

hi hi,

could you PM contact for this sliding lock?

hi JohnB,

Could you share with me the contact for the door closer thingy?

Guess your inbox is full, can't seem to pm u.. :lol:

Thanks in advance!! =)

Hi JohnB,

Would you be able to share the contact for the door closer ?

Thank you ^^

With pleasure.

Flooring (cont’d)

Our tile is the Cifre Concept White! ( Hafary FB | Cifre Cerámica )
We like its look very much and appreciate Keith's help with the choice. It seems to be just the tile for our (minimalist) home – simple, does not look busy, and resembles concrete. And of a light, cool, grey colour. It is the one in the middle, the lightest colour in the collection. :wub:
4749e41c32cf9b4e061d74426cbafbcd.jpg
From Spain to Singapore they came, and landed here in our new home! :wub:
cf11abe84f01022e3d6a595ec312865b.jpg
a57e374dcf7cbac20324f8d57eaca3b3.jpg
492db4734635dff8bd627ca510ce1e65.jpg
52a82d56e8e12b6fc9ac398cf6abe885.jpg
35d4a98336b08a175f8b53be9779ff33.jpg
Edited by JohnB

I absolutely enjoyed reading your t-blog and love every idea of yours! :D However, I would have to agree with the mess problem once you have shifted and settled in - where to hide them etc. Cannot wait to see the progression of your lovely home.

Would you be able to share the budget you have set aside for renovation works?

Most kind of you, Yelena! Your post makes me happy. Thank you. :D

I know, right? I am beginning to worry about possible mess problem too. Where to hide them indeed. Hopefully, hopefully, we can make it work! We are keeping our fingers and toes and all crossed.
Yes, gladly. Let me send you a PM. :)