Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hamm

A Simple And Uncluttered Home

Hi!

Got the keys to our tiny (but adequate) 3-room BTO a couple of months ago. We did not have a concept but what we know for sure was that we needed a place that was clutter-free. So we started from there, added bits and pieces sourced from all over the place and somehow ended up with a look bordering on Scandinavian but that's okay!

We did engage an ID (who's a good friend of ours and was a key figure in helping us figure out the reno process), but only to do minimal reno such as flooring as we wanted something modular. Which means no fixed cabinets/wardrobes anywhere except for the kitchen. On this topic, I feel that many folks overestimate the storage required for their home, which results in many empty cabinets, which eats into whatever precious little space they have.

We also opted out of having the usual kind of "fixed" lightings such as cove/L-box (not sure if those are the right terms) as I'm not a being fan of bright lights (also noticed that the homes I've visited with abovementioned light fixtures never actually put them to use) and instead went for an oversized floor lamp from Ikea, which does an excellent job of illuminating the entire living room!

For an added pop of colour, we got a traditional Turkish Kilim rug. Resting on top of the rug is a small custom-made acrylic table, with a wood tray from Muji.

Fan's from Aerotron. Wanted a Haiku fan but bo lui lah!

It's still a work in progress, as I plan to fill up the place with more artwork.

Will share pics of our equally minimal kitchen soon!

gallery_67106_655_72241.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi!! Nice looking simple home. Can I find out how's the workmanship n how's it working w ur ID? Would u recommend? If yes, may u pls kindly PM me ur ID contact?

Looking forward to seeing ur kitchen pics! (:

Hi Hamm,

You've got a cosy and pleasant living room:) I like your flooring, may I know what kind of flooring is that and how much does the flooring cost?

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

The flooring is by Supreme Flooring, can't remember the costs as it was my ID who arranged it.

As for my ID, he's a good friend of ours so I may be biased.. but he's a patient guy who is very hands-on. He made sure to be at the site every time his contractors are there. The work done is great too, from the sliding kitchen glass doors to the cabinets. Do PM me if you'd like his contact!

Lovely, clutter-free and I agree totally with no need for too much storage space. Although for my case it's because I would like to have the flexibility of shifting things around and changing the layout, except for the kitchen and bathrooms.

Looking forward to viewing your kitchen photos.

Here are two shots of the kitchen:

gallery_67106_655_77676.jpg

Colour scheme: Monotone + metal

The cabinet doors/drawers are a textured laminate, with the colour resembling raw cement.

gallery_67106_655_51760.jpg

And on the other side, a marble-top trolley which can also double up as a bar cart (heh heh) when i'm entertaining.

And I wanna add that i LOVE the fridge and oven! Spent a fair bit of time sourcing for all-black appliances. It's a Smart oven so it's microwave, grill and convection oven rolled into one so it saves up loads of space.

Edited by hamm

Hi your kitchen is indeed minimal. I doubt I can manage with so little cabinets for storage.

Your oven looks cool! How is it performing? Can u also share what fridge u bought?

Guest Jaclyn Chen

Totally agree with your logic! Excess storage = excuses to store more! People generally have excess of a lot of stuff, all thanks to consumerism.

Anyway finally found another kitchen with only lower cabinets! I plan to do the same for mine in the future.

Could you share your floor plan as well as photos of the rest of your place? Really love your living room btw. Peaceful and calming.

I like your theme to unclutter your home before living in it. I also like the idea of keeping minimum items at home, not getting new things until its necessary. :)