Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alverie10

Renovation @ Waterway Banks Mr K

Dear All!

As I'm like all of you a new homeowner to the newly built 4 room BTO flat. I'm excited to post and share with you my experience during this process.

First and foremost, my husband and I managed to get our keys at 31 Dec 2014 (best gift) to sum up our 2014. So we actually started to source out for contractor to do up our house since Nov 2014. Through some internet search and renotalk, we manage to find and secure ourselves with Mr K (H2O interior design).

Just a side note, as our key collection is near the end of 2014 and start of 2015, chinese new year in Feb, we were told and inform that the work will be slightly slower. Since we are not in a rush for it to be done, so we understand and let Mr K to make arrangements that is the most suitable for us and his fellow subcons/workers. therefore this post will only contain work done before CNY.
Planning and measurements were done before CNY, so that all these could be sent to factory for preparation and after CNY can start to install the items.

In the first week of 2015, he came down to my new home and did the measurements for the windows/ kitchen carpentry and did some drawings for additional/modification of electrical points, he was also very kind to help us do a rough check for defects. As we are hacking half of the wall, he did the measurements and markings, and within the same week he sent it off for HDB approval.

On the same day, he asked his carpenter and the false ceiling subcon to come down my place to do measurement and drawings and gave a rough quote; super efficient and i was surprised too.

Here are some links for the drawings of carpentry: We have chose the materials/types for our carpentry and it is coded as such in the drawings.

IMG-20150317-WA0002.jpg

1. high quality kitchen countertop (caesar stone)

IMG-20150112-WA0001.jpg
2. Toilet design and layout with mirrors and cabinets

IMG-20150112-WA0002.jpg
3. shoe cabinet and tv console drawings

IMG-20150112-WA0003.jpg
4. master bedroom- bay window, L-shaped wardrobe & customised bedframe

IMG-20150112-WA0004.jpg
5. kitchen cabinet's design

I don't really recall the timeline but within 2 weeks all these following were done!

IMG-20150121-WA0000.jpg
6. half wall was approved and hacked

Edited by alverie10

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

IMG-20150206-WA0002.jpg
7. Glass panel and glass door is up!

IMG-20150206-WA0003.jpg
8. All window grilles are installed (this is for living room). We did full height window grilles, as most window installer outside is only doing the middle portion. We only sent the drawings and colours of the window grilles we wanted (based HDB approved designed), he made the arrangement.

IMG-20150206-WA0005.jpg
9. service yard window and grilles installed. really pleased with the workmanship.

IMG-20150206-WA0006.jpg
10. Our "space suit" shower screen in common toilet. nowadays, the BTO is quite small for the toilet, hence the only down side is this will obstruct the opening of the toilet small window, we were informed of this before they install, but we still went ahead. Because common toilet wont be used by us that often.

IMG-20150206-WA0001.jpg
11. Glass shower screen (1 fixed panel + 1 swing door).

Edited by alverie10

12. We dislike the toilet tiles provided by the HDB, hence we chose our toilet tiles from Hafary and just need to provide the staff with the code given by Mr K, they will make the necessary arrangement. Before CNY, the toilet tiles were overlayed and done (unfortunately I did not take any pictures). We chose a dark coloured rough surface tiles, so that it is anti-slipped. of course I foresee and was warned that it is tough to clean.

Shower kerb, kitchen kerb and washing machine kerb was done by the same person, done within a few days.

As we are too busy to oversee the piping and trunking running of the aircon, Mr K had a discussion with us prior to making the first appointment for aircon installation. He gave us suggestion on how the aircon piping should run so that it wont compromised the overall "beauty" of the house while accommodating to our needs. We wanted to install 2 aircon compressors, 1x24k compressor for living room and another compressor 1x18k living room and 2x9k for the other 2 bedrooms.

IMG-20150206-WA0000.jpg
13. as we could not go down to site and see the progress. Mr K actually drew out and took snapshot to ask us whether want to have it "boxed up" or not. living room trunking to be boxed

20150201_152408.jpg
14. Electrical points were added and modified (drilled inside). We are doing a two way switch in the living room (when we first enter the house) and prior walking down the hall way to the rooms will have another switch. this picture contains the latter.

15. Initially my husband and I did not want to take any bank loans, but in the end we still went ahead. We took RHB loan which was recommended by our contractor, and was given a special rate. However, we encountered bad service from the bank officer which was an unpleasant experience.

In all, I'm impressed by the amount of work and progression that Mr K managed to help us oversee for the short 5 week; every week we see new things being done up, a step closer to completion.

Will make a 2nd entry after the carpentry is up.

Part 2… 10/Apr/2015

IMG-20150314-WA0012.jpg

1. Master bedroom toilet mirror and cabinet outlay

IMG-20150314-WA0006.jpg

2. common toilet mirror and cabinet outlay

IMG-20150314-WA0009.jpg

3. kitchen bottom cabinet outlay

IMG-20150314-WA0008.jpg

4. another side of kitchen, top and bottom + full height

IMG-20150314-WA0011.jpg

5. Shoe cabinet

IMG-20150401-WA0022.jpg

11. covered up the unsightly pipes

IMG-20150401-WA0021.jpg

12. Blum drawers

IMG-20150401-WA0023.jpg

13. more blum drawers

IMG-20150401-WA0030.jpg

14. final look for the kitchen

IMG-20150401-WA0029.jpg

15. dish tray. Love the cabinet, it can open very wide! Especially useful for family members whom are tall

IMG-20150401-WA0035.jpg

IMG-20150401-WA0024.jpg

16. internal view and material for the cupboards

IMG-20150401-WA0034.jpg

17. small space between the DB board and shoe cabinet is fully utilize and make it no unsightly gaps.

IMG-20150401-WA0039.jpg

18. Washing machine kerb nicely done up, and my washing machine fit just nicely!

IMG-20150401-WA0040.jpg

19. slide out tray to put the condiments

Wow wonderful design, esp Blum products ? May I know how much it is psf for cupboard and kitchen cabinets ? Roughly how much for whole kitchen cabinets ? And how long it takes to finish ? Thanks

Hi,I don't really recall the exact amount as it is handled by my husband and he is overseas now. Yes, they are all blum. The blum cabinets + caesarstone + glass backing lumpsum cost about $8700+,if i dont recall wrongly. This is a newer generation of Blum, so its more expensive.

Probably, you might find it on the high side. But the materials we selected are good quality, hence we dont mind paying more since we are staying for long. For eg, caesarstone countertop we have 10years waranty.

The duration I dont feel its will be accurate as my renovation was halt in between due to CNY. I believe if it is continuous might be able to do it within 6weeks or less? Hope this helps.

Hi Ha88yLife. My apology for late reply. Was busy recently with the final phase of renovation and moving in. Will update soon when all have been done. :)

Mr K contact number is 90222321.

Hello Sunshinyg. Thank you for your compliment.. You staying on waterway banks/ridges project too? Haha.. the window grilles only and HDB submission for window work included, would be $1350.

Hello Sunshinyg. Thank you for your compliment.. You staying on waterway banks/ridges project too? Haha.. the window grilles only and HDB submission for window work included, would be $1350.

yes yes I'm from Bank too~

thanks for the pricing~ i dunno should place the normal window grille or the invisible grille =(

Personally i feel that invisible grilles is more catered for those having balcony, so that it would look nicer overall.what i know is that invisible grille is like one thread all link together, one snap all need to change. But then again by right all these shouldnt be easy to snap.

Window grilles have more flexibility? I mean you can slide them and open etc. And more secure in a sense. Just to say the window grilles installed is 2 track type. If u are thinking to do those mosquito net, i would advise u to tell your contractor/ID to do 3 tracks (of course more expensive). Is because i overlooked this minor details, and then my net have some problem to install. Haha. Our project seriously have alot of unwanted visitors. Lol.