Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Would like to ask the current home owners.

For the kitchen sink, is it better to do it the old way where the edges of the sink is exposed, or the new way where the edges are hidden by the countertop.

My ID is suggesting the old design whereby the sink's edges are exposed. His reason is that if the sink does get broken and requires a change, no need to hack / replace the countertop. If done the new way, it'll be more expensive as need to hack/replace the countertop.

Personally, I like the new design however I can understand from the ID's point of view. Just how often does one expect to change one's sink anyway?

Advice anyone?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

For asthetics looks, undermount is nicer. If you are worried about future replacements, of cos top mount will be easier. But you will also need to get back the same dimension as the old one to fit into the existing carpentry. There's pros and cons for both. My ID strongly recommend undermount even though my preference is top mount. So it's really up to you.

I prefer to have the option of future replacement of sink, hence I go top mount. It looks pretty good to me.. :D

Hafele sink is also very nice and it's german made. You could visit their showroom and have a look, the price is S$30 cheaper at universal union cos it's self collection. If you purchase directly from Hafele, price is inclusive of delivery. So it's up to you if you wana save the $30.

Also think about ease of cleaning ..... if undermount is done correctly, it is much easier to clean and keep hygienic. But, if it is done poorly, it can get water trapped underneath and also leak. Personally I did the top mounted so we can replace if needed. If you get a standard European sized sink it is much easier to replace or upgrade in the future if you need.

If you are getting a stainless steel sink, undermount is no problem. Never seen a stainless steel sink that needed replacement unless nobody does regular maintenance or pours something nasty in. You can opt for a better quality stainless steel sink as additional protection. In any case, when the sink shows its age, it's probably about time to do a makeover of the kitchen anyway.

For me stainless steel is the most popular material for kitchen sinks: it’s heat-resistant, stain-resistant, and comes in styles suitable for all budgets and tastes.