Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jecheng

Quantity Surveyor + Mechanical And Electrical Engineer + Structure Engineer

Hi Hi

I'm building a semi-d. The costs involved are really high. Professional fees alone can set me back by easily S$150 to S$200k. Am trying to save as much as I can in all areas. Can anyone recommend good and inexpensive Quantity Surveyor, Mechanical and Electrical Engineer as well as Structure Engineer.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Jecheng,

Congrats on the venture!

I am almost at the tail end of re-con for my inter.

Always happy to share notes; for I am not convinced that the professional fees are so high.

Perhaps mine is not a re-build, but my fees are a few thousand dollars and can't imagine a re-build sets you back that much.

Hi MetalTab,

I just started talking to various people. This is the kind of jaw dropping numbers I got :

Architect - $80k

Structure Engineer - $20k

M & E Engineer - $20k

Quantity Surveyor - $10k

Other misc costs (pub, submissions, residence technical officer etc) - $35k

We are working on tight budget. And am now trying to see how we can trim the overall cost.

Hi MetalTab,

I just started talking to various people. This is the kind of jaw dropping numbers I got :

Architect - $80k

Structure Engineer - $20k

M & E Engineer - $20k

Quantity Surveyor - $10k

Other misc costs (pub, submissions, residence technical officer etc) - $35k

We are working on tight budget. And am now trying to see how we can trim the overall cost.

see your pm

I have rebuilt my house less than 5 years ago. Didn't recall paying so much. Jecheng, you may want to provide more details such as land size, number of storeys (inclusive of basement and attic), type of landed house (eg. bungalow, semi-detached, etc) and other details of your rebuilding works in this thread so that more people can give inputs.

Hi

I am new to this forum and am about to embark on my renovation journey of my small inter-terrace. I have got similar quotes from my IDs that include submissions and professional fees when what I am contemplating to do is to a lot of hacking, including the staircase wall and to flatten the car pouch roof and convert it to a small balcony and then add a trellis to extend the cover to the extent the regulation allows, ie within the set back. So do I really need to incur such costs? Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, topgann said:

Hi

I am new to this forum and am about to embark on my renovation journey of my small inter-terrace. I have got similar quotes from my IDs that include submissions and professional fees when what I am contemplating to do is to a lot of hacking, including the staircase wall and to flatten the car pouch roof and convert it to a small balcony and then add a trellis to extend the cover to the extent the regulation allows, ie within the set back. So do I really need to incur such costs? Thanks in advance!

are you doing A&A or reconstruction?

whether need submissions or not depends on what you are doing. based on what you described, it's hard to say whether need submission or not since the extent of the works isn't clear.

but if you do need to do submissions to authorities, only qualified person (architect or professional engineer) can do the submissions and the fees quoted would be based on the extend of the QP's involvement in the project. if you feel the quote are expensive, can always get your ID to get quotes from other QPs or find another ID to do your project.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, snoozee said:

are you doing A&A or reconstruction?

whether need submissions or not depends on what you are doing. based on what you described, it's hard to say whether need submission or not since the extent of the works isn't clear.

but if you do need to do submissions to authorities, only qualified person (architect or professional engineer) can do the submissions and the fees quoted would be based on the extend of the QP's involvement in the project. if you feel the quote are expensive, can always get your ID to get quotes from other QPs or find another ID to do your project.

Hi snoozee

Thanks for the response. Sorry for delay in responding.

I am not doing A&A or reconstruction. It is just a major renovation including hacking the old floor and wall tiles, replacing the electric cables and the pipes.  The three key items that I plan to do are:

1) Hack away the side wall of the staircase to open up the space.  The staircase is a really old design. For avoidance of doubt, I am talking about hacking the side wall of the staircase and not the staircase itself. Does this require submission?

2) Flatten the roof tiles on top of the car pouch and convert it to a balcony. I have since come across the relevant BCA and URA guidelines and am pretty convinced that the scope of work does not require approval.

3) Build a loft to maximize the use of space.

Thanks for the advice. I am still in the midst of checking with IDs and contractors. However as the answers provided seem inconsistent, I thought I should get some advice from this forum.

1 hour ago, topgann said:

Hi snoozee

Thanks for the response. Sorry for delay in responding.

I am not doing A&A or reconstruction. It is just a major renovation including hacking the old floor and wall tiles, replacing the electric cables and the pipes.  The three key items that I plan to do are:

1) Hack away the side wall of the staircase to open up the space.  The staircase is a really old design. For avoidance of doubt, I am talking about hacking the side wall of the staircase and not the staircase itself. Does this require submission?

2) Flatten the roof tiles on top of the car pouch and convert it to a balcony. I have since come across the relevant BCA and URA guidelines and am pretty convinced that the scope of work does not require approval.

3) Build a loft to maximize the use of space.

Thanks for the advice. I am still in the midst of checking with IDs and contractors. However as the answers provided seem inconsistent, I thought I should get some advice from this forum.

1. hacking away the side wall should be ok as long as that wall is not a structure element. you may need to get a PE to look at the existing plans first to confirm. if it's a load bearing wall, you will need BCA approval.

2. I supposed your existing car porch roof is a pitched roof. you can convert it to a balcony. no submissions needed but again have a PE look at the plans to see if the existing car porch columns and beams are designed to take additional load if you have many people standing on that roof.

3. building a loft of more than 5sqm will require submission and approval. this is due to the change in structural loading from the added loft. if you want to go by saf rule no 7, still have a PE to go through the loft design just to be safe.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, snoozee said:

1. hacking away the side wall should be ok as long as that wall is not a structure element. you may need to get a PE to look at the existing plans first to confirm. if it's a load bearing wall, you will need BCA approval.

2. I supposed your existing car porch roof is a pitched roof. you can convert it to a balcony. no submissions needed but again have a PE look at the plans to see if the existing car porch columns and beams are designed to take additional load if you have many people standing on that roof.

3. building a loft of more than 5sqm will require submission and approval. this is due to the change in structural loading from the added loft. if you want to go by saf rule no 7, still have a PE to go through the loft design just to be safe.

Thanks for the advice. I will get a PE to take a look just to be safe.