Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
arturobinewski

It Came From The 80's.....

Ks & Lfc,

I'm not sure if can lower leh, because it's like two lanes converging into one from the casing at the side.. and super bulky. I have no idea why the trunking is like that. I'm using a System 4, so i think trunking from 4 rooms all coming together here in the MBR.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Because yours is a system 4 and thats why the trunking are looking like the elephants trunk :) Fatcat sacrificed 1 aircon in order to reduce trunking meaning she went from having 3 aircons blowers to only 2 now.

Since your home is colourful and full of creativity, I am sure that "ugly" boxed up can be designed to otherwise. A pop of colour or a painting on it will transform it i am sure

Edited by Luxexplorer

Because yours is a system 4 and thats why the trunking are looking like the elephants trunk :) Fatcat sacrificed 1 aircon in order to reduce trunking meaning she went from having 3 aircons blowers to only 2 now.

Since your home is colourful and full of creativity, I am sure that "ugly" boxed up can be designed to otherwise. A pop of colour or a painting on it will transform it i am sure

Hi Lux! :rofl: Elephant trunk leh!

Ya lor, I suspect it's become elephantine because system 4... But I cannot live without aircon. And yep you read my mind, gonna have to design a decal or something to go on it. aargh.

I just had a look at your photos. It really doesn't look that bad! And I think it's a pretty good idea running the outlet to the kitchen drainage instead of toilet. Your toilets are too nice to be spoilt by that!

Art, how come converge at bedroom? Isn't there another drainage?

I also have no idea sia, I came to see the house after work one evening and bam! The pipe was already up and along my toilet floor... I was also wondering how come it wasn't made to run outside of the flat... :dunno:

The drainage for each aircon shld go to the nearest drainage hole, eg if ur aircon is near to kitchen, it shld go directly there and not back to bedroom... what i understand lah... thats y the abandoned one should cut direct to toilet but will meant spoiling my tiles, so i bite the bullet and cut that one out. The bedroom one should be oppo my bed but for asthetic, shifted it to the bed side... you get the point lah

I think it is that the compressor is outside the window of the MBR and you can see the elephant trunks going into 2 different locations . One snaking right out and the other bunch out to another room. No choice because system 4 definitely have even more cables.

Art, how come converge at bedroom? Isn't there another drainage?

Yaya! But even so, should not bunch up...

Gonna dream of elephants n snakes tonight..

I think it is that the compressor is outside the window of the MBR and you can see the elephant trunks going into 2 different locations . One snaking right out and the other bunch out to another room. No choice because system 4 definitely have even more cables.

Oooohhhhh now i see it..ty!! Fatcat & Lux, why u all so smart?? :) and how am i so bimbotic sometimes... Geez. But now no choice really have to suck thumb and accept cos all done n i have to move in with my animals by tomorrow *groans* I'll try to get a photo of that pipe in the toilet later..

It is not uncommon to have 4 or more fancoil units, but it is uncommon to see such a big box.

For each aircon fancoil unit, there will be three pipes. The drainage pipe is a small copper or PVC pipe. It goes to the nearest drainage outlet. I don't see this pipe in this picture and this should not be an issue. The other two pipes are the large insulated pipes carrying the gas between the compressor and the fancoil units. These are the pipes in the picture.

I agree that with 4 fancoil units, there will be many pipes and these need to be boxed up. But I feel that the box is simply too big. On the bottom right corner of the picture, you see 2 trunkings painted pink(?), presumably carrying the 4 pipes from two fancoil units. So, when 8 pipes converge, I would expect at most only 4 trunkings, or twice the size of the trunking at the bottom right corner of the picture. But what I see now is a box that is 4 times the height and about 3 to 4 times the depth.

The other issue is that the installer will normally run the pipes hugging the edge of the wall, just like the pipes on the bottom right corner. This means as low as possible, and as near the corner as possible. I am not sure why in this case, the pipes are running some distance from the ground and the punch through is in the middle of the wall.

Unless there are site constraints we are not aware of, I would think it should be possible to have a box that is 1/4 the height and 1/4 the depth. I would ask the installer to redo. This is my house I am going to stay for a long time. I do not want to be looking at the box every night and wondering if I should have done something about it.

Moving in with your cats?! So fast... I wanna see your cats!

P/s: maybe get the aircon guy or ur contractor to reduce the box a bit, like what KS says. Or put some planks for the meow meows..

Oooohhhhh now i see it..ty!! Fatcat & Lux, why u all so smart?? :) and how am i so bimbotic sometimes... Geez. But now no choice really have to suck thumb and accept cos all done n i have to move in with my animals by tomorrow *groans* I'll try to get a photo of that pipe in the toilet later..

I don't want to dwell on this any further. I just felt annoyed for you. I will show you the trunking for my aircon compressors. It just so happened that all the trunking for 4 of my compressors are in the same trunking. Mine is all single split and on the outside wall but I think the trunking would be similar. Maybe it would be fairer to say that your box should be 1/2 the current height and 1/3 the current depth.

Posted Today, 02:13 PM

wXmtSz.jpg

23295998384_02d62fd1cf.jpg

Edited by Ks Toh

Here are just a few of the items I have painstakingly collected over time - honestly, I don't even know where some of them are going to go! I just buy & buy & buy, and keep & keep & keep..... :unsure:

Same collection some old furniture and try to convert them.... now collecting dust

12375329_10153837155966170_8643557615068

10580896_10153837156086170_3512248497707

you still remember that shop called Abraxis at The Promenade....

What a refreshing theme you have and I love the art work and the colorful cushion covers you owned!

Like Toh I am also scratching my head trying to understand why the white box is so huge and thick. I have a system 4 for my 5 room resale flat and I just took a look at the box, it's probably just as big as yours measuring at 122cm x82cm x 18cm, and only 7cm is visible from my mbr, the rest fits nicely into the big hole in the wall typical of old hdb flat. I have a feeling that the air con contractor is taking a shortcut or designed the box to be easily accessible for future maintenance, which is kind of strange as the pipes should last many good years well beyond the lifespan of the air con unit or compressor.

Good thing about you is you are quite artistic, you can turn that into an art piece if you decide to leave it as it is :) But it will only take a few hours of rework by the contractor if you find it an eyesore. I had a situation for the aircon unit for the living room that is situated on the wall next to the mbr entrance. I discovered it one evening during inspection of the lightings, before the two doors were put up. As I was enjoying my rojak and Sapporo beer sitting on a piece of newspaper in the middle of the war zone, I realised that the aircon was placed too low and the door wouldn't be able fully swing open!

It's not the fault of the aircon man but the poor guy had to spend a few hours to adjust it higher, and thank goodness it doesn't cause any damage to the false wall in my mbr which I put up to conceal part of the aircon trunking AND the unsightly sunk-in area on the wall ( without the fake wall It will mean my bed can't be placed right in the middle of the wall which is annoying ). It cost me a few hundred dollars for the fake wall, and I am taking the risk of having to cut it open should there be any leakage issue.

The remaining part of the trunking above the aircon unit on the other side of the wall is not an eyesore so far.

23306380494_6f542e9674_c.jpg

23307789563_aeb16276a5_c.jpg

Edited by sarah833

Moving in with your cats?! So fast... I wanna see your cats!

P/s: maybe get the aircon guy or ur contractor to reduce the box a bit, like what KS says. Or put some planks for the meow meows..

Yes, Fatcat! I have to rush my move because my lease for the current apartment is ending 31st Dec.. It's not an optimal situation to be in now, but I'm trying to deal with everything as best I can.

fHWZvi.jpg

My 3 naughties.

I can only imagine the stress they are going through now, the poor dears. I had to bring them back from the sitter's place 3 days ago, because she had another commitment this month. And due to unexpected delays in my reno, they were not able to go to our new place directly either. So it's gonna be 2 moves for them this week alone. They scare easily and hate being in the carrier, so I pray they will be OK this afternoon :(

I don't want to dwell on this any further. I just felt annoyed for you. I will show you the trunking for my aircon compressors. It just so happened that all the trunking for 4 of my compressors are in the same trunking. Mine is all single split and on the outside wall but I think the trunking would be similar. Maybe it would be fairer to say that your box should be 1/2 the current height and 1/3 the current depth.

23295998384_02d62fd1cf.jpg

Hi Ks & Sarah, thank you so so much as well for your support and help in trying to figure this out for me! Really appreciate it loads! Sarah, I don't see any "box" in your red room picture tho...? All so neat n tidy!

Did some checking yesterday evening, and apparently, this is the reason for its wider than normal "girth":

4wq0kg.jpg

1) They wanted to hide the plug, wire & switchpoint.

2) As Sarah mentioned, it was indeed made to be easily accessible just in case aircon runs into problems! :dunno:

3) The height of the "hole-in-wall" is really around the same height of the fabricated box!

*Haiz* ...So after yet another sleepless night, I made the decision to keep it as is, due to these factors:

- My lease for the current place will only last until end of this year, which means this Xmas weekend will be the only period I can spare time to move. I want to minimise the amount of messy works going on while we're living there.

- As I still have ongoing works in the living room, the cats have to be with me in the MBR during this time. I cannot have workmen drilling and hammering while they're in there.

- I suppose it can be a good excuse to do pimp that part of the room!

- Lastly, I know I sound like a broken record already, but ya, my cats get another area to sit and look out the window :)