Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chua Eng Leong

TV Reception Problem in Rooms

Dear All,

I have been watching TV in my living room, and two other bed rooms but yesterday suddenly the reception in my two bed rooms became very bad, I have very blur images for all channels.  The strange thing is that the reception in my living room is fine.

I tried to check myself but there is no splitter or booster I can check in my living room or other in the junction box.

I think I can rule out the problem is with the TVs in the bed rooms and also reception going into my flat.  I just watching TV normally with no SCV or Singtel subscription.

I have tried contacting the town council for help or recommendation via email but no reply.

Can someone recommend what I can do or approach for help or any service person who I can approach?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

For my house, the HDB build TV points are in the living room, master bedroom & bomb shelter. The splitter is in the SCV junction box in the riser along the corridor. You may want to check there. 

IIRC, I reported my problem with TC and was directed to call HDB on this issue.

Edited by w7_lee

I just found the splitter in the SCV junction box in my store room.

I just happened to have a splitter and I changed it and it is the same.

Now my guess is that the signal comes into my living room point is fine and there is splitter there which splits the signal into my store room.

Edited by Chua Eng Leong

My problem is solved but is slightly different from yours.

Like you, I have no pay TV and I normally watch CNA, 5, 8 & U in living room. I have no TV in the bedrooms. For my case, I suddenly had horizontal line running across CNA only while Ch 5, 8 & U are fine. I tried changing splitter and cable but it did not go away. When the HDB contractor call me, he told me: if problem inside the house, it is chargeable. If problem outside the house, it is FOC. So I told him: OK, come.

After checking, he told me the problem was outside the house, that's how I know I have a splitter outside my house (in the utility riser). According to him, there is only 1 signal cable coming to each unit. In my case, HDB split the signal outside and connect it to the master bedroom, bomb shelter & living room. Mine is an older HDB, so the common rooms have no TV point & I have to split it myself during renovation.

If yours is an newer unit, you will have build-in TV point for all rooms but it should still be from 1 single source. You need to find that source and check the splitter there.

Hope it helps.

Edited by w7_lee

Hi Hi,

Thank you so much for the information!

Mine is older HDB flat, I only managed to find the splitter inside the house that goes to the 3 rooms but I cannot find the splitter outside the house inside the utility riser.  I will try to find the splitter again in the utility riser, your setting sounds the same as mine.

By the way, do you know what is the problem and how is it solved for you?

Can you share with me the number of the HDB contractor if you have it?

It sure help a lot, thank you!

He also did not do anything much. I remember he re-sleeve the end of the cables and replace with a new splitter; all the outside riser. And the issue was gone. I suspect it's the splitter cos contractor told me he has not receive similar complain from my stack, only I have this problem.

I do not have the contact anymore. I called HDB to report the problem (telling them that I was directed to them by TC) and then the contractor call me.

Edited by w7_lee

My problem is solved!  Thank you w7_lee!

The contractor told me that currently my source is a line from Starhub and he changed to the HDB line.  There is some problem with the Starhub line.

Once changed, the problem is solved, there is a box in the raiser box which holds a splitter where the input is the HDB/Starhub line and two output.  One output goes to my living room point and the other output goes to my store box where there is a splitter which will split the signal to my three bedrooms.

5 hours ago, CairoKing said:

Was there any payment? If yes how much?

When the HDB contractor call me, he told me: if problem inside the house, it is chargeable. If problem outside the house, it is FOC. So I told him: OK, come.

For my case, because it was a problem outside my house, I did not have to pay.

For TS case, it is also from outside (problem on Starhub line), so I am guessing he did not have to either.